Buyout Girardi?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Flyers fan here.... What the hell happened to Dan Girardi that you guys hate him so passionately. I remember like three years ago he was an amazing shut down guy. Between him and McD you guys were next to impossible to break defensively.

look at #5.

it happens like 20+ times a game.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
$2.75m is the same as it is in year 2 of a buyout and less than it is in years 3 or 4. If you can find a taker at 50%, you do it.

yeah im not sure anyone takes him even at 50% without sending SOMETHING of salary back. in that case id just keep dan and if we have an emergency need for a defenseman you still have someone well respected waiting in the wings. i love DG the guy...seems like someone youd give a kidney to...i just think hes done. if you can get back a 3rd or 4th rounder for him and retain 50%, i'd do it in a nanosecond. i just dont see Bob Gainey getting a job anywhere between now and then.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
$2.75m is the same as it is in year 2 of a buyout and less than it is in years 3 or 4. If you can find a taker at 50%, you do it.

Agreed. My guess is that this the scenario the Rangers are hoping for.

Now, whether they can make it happen is another matter entirely.

If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on G being bought out.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Oh I'm very familiar with how it works but thanks for implying im an idiot whose never posted on here before.

I'm familiar with it, I know it and I stand by my assertion. I want this team torn down, im willing to have Dan Girardi sit in the press box and be a 5.5 million dollar trip to the cap floor or a veteran leader for the Wolfpack than to have to absorb the "chump change" when the rangers may be in a position to start adding players to a team that is developing. 1.5 mil is chump change till you realize that 1.5 mil extra here and there pays for Carl Hagelin on this team instead of the revolving door of extras we had. you can keep your condescension to yourself.

Nothing in this post indicates that you truly do understand the reality here.

Even in a blow it up and rebuild situation, the Rangers aren't going to be struggling to hit the cap floor. You have to have players on the team and you can't build an entire roster out of guys on ELCs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
Oh I'm very familiar with how it works but thanks for implying im an idiot whose never posted on here before.

I'm familiar with it, I know it and I stand by my assertion. I want this team torn down, im willing to have Dan Girardi sit in the press box and be a 5.5 million dollar trip to the cap floor or a veteran leader for the Wolfpack than to have to absorb the "chump change" when the rangers may be in a position to start adding players to a team that is developing. 1.5 mil is chump change till you realize that 1.5 mil extra here and there pays for Carl Hagelin on this team instead of the revolving door of extras we had. you can keep your condescension to yourself.

That 1.5 mil does mean the difference between role players and guys like Car Hagelin and Brian Boyle. The thing is a 5.5 million dollar cap hit is higher and would prevent the Rangers from more good players.

Keeping Girardi in Hartford makes zero sense. It is just petty, it would be worse than the Redden situation because the team has little benefit from burying Girardi. Saving $950,000 on a cap hit is not a big deal. It could cause animosity on the team with the other veterans getting pissed that Girardi is being treated poorly. It could cause younger players to hesitate before signing a long-term contract with the Rangers. "If they treat Girardi like that, it could happen to me".

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
yeah im not sure anyone takes him even at 50% without sending SOMETHING of salary back. in that case id just keep dan and if we have an emergency need for a defenseman you still have someone well respected waiting in the wings. i love DG the guy...seems like someone youd give a kidney to...i just think hes done. if you can get back a 3rd or 4th rounder for him and retain 50%, i'd do it in a nanosecond. i just dont see Bob Gainey getting a job anywhere between now and then.

Didn't even think of that.

I'd rather just buy him out.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
All I know is don't doubt teams desire to have "veteran presences" and "shutdown defenseman" and "guys who know how to win and have been there before."

I'm looking at you, Colorado. Another factor for Girardi is waiving his NMC. He gets 2/3rds of his money if he's bought out, can he make that other 1/3rd up in the new contracts he signs? I think he can so he may not waive if he knows he's going to get bought out anyway so he can pick his next destination.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Unfortunately, I agree --- G looks done.

It also highlights the risk of gambling with long term contracts in today's NHL. Even six or seven years ago, giving a four or five year deal to a 29/30 year old was somewhat understandable. I'd be hesitant to do it now.

It's also why I'm hesitant on a guy like Stamkos. His production is trending down, little things are popping up. That's a lot of money to tie into a guy who isn't coming off his best years --- even with his relatively young age.

The NHL is a young man's game more than ever; and I'm also convinced that it's a cleaner game than ever before. I think there are less careers being extended by "modern medicine."

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Nothing in this post indicates that you truly do understand the reality here.

Even in a blow it up and rebuild situation, the Rangers aren't going to be struggling to hit the cap floor. You have to have players on the team and you can't build an entire roster out of guys on ELCs.

in 6 years when the rangers have rebuilt the team to have a 1.5 million dollar noose hanging over their head, on a team that always gives out idiotic contracts, people will be pining for that cap relief. right now, over the next 4 years, they will not compete, you dont need to take on salary. rebuild, hold on to girardi if you cant find a moron to take him back, and let him rot. he will eventually be off the books and gone just as the rangers should be turning it over and around to the new "Core". 6 years is a loooong time. the Islanders will be paying Dipietro till 2029...they are lucky its not a cap hit for that full time.

That 1.5 mil does mean the difference between role players and guys like Car Hagelin and Brian Boyle. The thing is a 5.5 million dollar cap hit is higher and would prevent the Rangers from more good players.

Keeping Girardi in Hartford makes zero sense. It is just petty, it would be worse than the Redden situation because the team has little benefit from burying Girardi. Saving $950,000 on a cap hit is not a big deal. It could cause animosity on the team with the other veterans getting pissed that Girardi is being treated poorly. It could cause younger players to hesitate before signing a long-term contract with the Rangers. "If they treat Girardi like that, it could happen to me".

5.5 mil for the next 4 years, when i (And most of us i would suspect) expect the rangers not to compete and therefore not "need" the salary cap space wont matter...6 or 7 years from now when they should, if they did this right, be back into competing form, that money will be big. agree to disagree on this.
Didn't even think of that.

I'd rather just buy him out.

i wouldnt. my obvious preference would be to find someone to take him off our hands, or to have Las Vegas claim him if its allowed..not sure what the rules will be on that. i think every wasted dollar you have adds up. Tanner Glass makes 1.5 mil. subtract 1.5 mil from this roster and subtract Eric Staal from this roster, and you have Carl Hagelin in a Rangers sweater.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Flyers fan here.... What the hell happened to Dan Girardi that you guys hate him so passionately. I remember like three years ago he was an amazing shut down guy. Between him and McD you guys were next to impossible to break defensively.
I certainly don't hate him. If I saw him lift the Cup with another team (or somehow this team) I would probably legit cry. But he's not an NHL caliber defenseman anymore.

I'm not interested in buying him out this off-season, though. Unless something magical happens, the Rangers won't be contending in the next couple seasons. I'm not eager to lock in for a cap-hit costing the team in years I'm hopeful they'll contend in order to save cap in those I'm pretty sure they won't.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
look at #5.

it happens like 20+ times a game.

This video should be required viewing for this board.

It clearly demonstrates how Dan Girardi's complete lack of ability to find open passing lanes and use them before they close leads to his poor possession metrics. His horrendous Corsi didn't just fall from the sky - this right here is the reason for it. It's like he's allergic to using the middle of the ice when it's open and would rather keep the puck along the boards than send his team on a rush the other way.

Imagine next year when he's even slower, causing those passing lanes to close even quicker. Oh boy.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
and really, Dan Girardi as your #6 veteran defenseman isnt the worst thing in the world to show kids..id be fine keeping him during the rebuild.

of course this is assuming I was the GM and we really did a full on rebuild. when the Penguins started their rebuild, they had a lot of veterans to help bring Crosby along. Thats where the Oilers effed up...they were being led by the kids....kids shouldnt ever be left to run the place, you need some vets to show them the way.

Jaromir Jagr was HUUUUGGEEE for this organization.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Can we all at least agree that whatever happens with Girardi has no bearing on us appreciating everything that he's done for the organization? G is a fantastic Ranger, did everything we asked for him, sacrificed his body more times than we can count, and helped us get close to the Cup.

His future has everything to do with his play this season and what it will be over the duration of his contract. Nothing more, nothing less.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

I agree essentially, they need to think long term, not save a little cap space for short term "fixes"

I doubt very much they feel the same way, if they have any gained cap space they are not going to save it for a developing player or a better future option, they are going to use it right then and there.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
You save no money at all by carrying him on the active roster.

You save 950K by sending him down to the minors, which given his NMC, I'm positive he wouldn't agree to in the first place.

when his NMC turns to a NTC, he can be sent down regardless. Assuming we have a $950k defender that can take his place, the cap differences wash out. It's still wasted cap space, but it's the best you can do without a buyout.

I'm convinced that when he'll retire though.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
and really, Dan Girardi as your #6 veteran defenseman isnt the worst thing in the world to show kids..id be fine keeping him during the rebuild.

of course this is assuming I was the GM and we really did a full on rebuild. when the Penguins started their rebuild, they had a lot of veterans to help bring Crosby along. Thats where the Oilers effed up...they were being led by the kids....kids shouldnt ever be left to run the place, you need some vets to show them the way.

Jaromir Jagr was HUUUUGGEEE for this organization.

do you really trust whoever is in charge to play such a well-respected man #6 minutes?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
do you really trust whoever is in charge to play such a well-respected man #6 minutes?

Do you trust them not to take any gained cap space from a buyout and not use it on the next Glass or plus 35 multi year contract?

Jan 8, 2012
NY
when his NMC turns to a NTC, he can be sent down regardless. Assuming we have a $950k defender that can take his place, the cap differences wash out. It's still wasted cap space, but it's the best you can do without a buyout.

I'm convinced that when he'll retire though.

But the buyout would save a lot more cap space than sending 950K out of 5.5 million to the AHL. And that includes waiting out next year while his NMC is still in effect.

Why would he retire? Doesn't that forfeit the rest of the contract? A buyout leaves him 2/3rds of what is still owed.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Can we all at least agree that whatever happens with Girardi has no bearing on us appreciating everything that he's done for the organization? G is a fantastic Ranger, did everything we asked for him, sacrificed his body more times than we can count, and helped us get close to the Cup.

His future has everything to do with his play this season and what it will be over the duration of his contract. Nothing more, nothing less.

100% agreed. I really wish Dan didn't play so poorly and hasnt deteriorated to the point where he just should not play in the playoffs...but he has. if he didnt id have no problem with him retiring as a lifelong Ranger...

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Try to move him to Columbus or Colorado around the draft first. Retain $1.25-1.5m and that should make him a reasonable option. In the right system he'd still be a useful defenseman. He's only had one official bad year so his value isn't completely destroyed yet.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Buy Out is a no deal under any circumstance. Having him sit as a healthy scratch wtih 5.57m on the cap for 4 years is better option than the buyout.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

No we can not, I disliked him as a person that's why I have wanted him gone the last 2 years. It's personal man.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Try to move him to Columbus or Colorado around the draft first. Retain $1.25-1.5m and that should make him a reasonable option. In the right system he'd still be a useful defenseman. He's only had one official bad year so his value isn't completely destroyed yet.

Sure that is the sales pitch. But no nhl team is buying that unless you are throwing them a prospect or draft pick with g

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad