Buyout Girardi?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
If you are the GM, what do you do with Girardi?

If he were to by bought out this offseason we would be on the hook to pay a cap hit penalty of:

16-17: 1.75M
17-18: 2.75M
18-19: 3.75M
19-20: 3.75M
20-21: 1.25M
21-22: 1.25M
22-23: 1.25M
23-24: 1.25M

(Source - https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout_calculator/dan-girardi)

Or do we hold onto him for another season and try to deal him next summer when his NMC clause gets cuts in half and he has to give a list of 15 teams?

Current salary is 5.5M for the next 4 years.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
I thought we had already used both of our amnesty provisions in Redden and Richards. I could be wrong though.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
This is a really tough call. I feel that if we can get him to waive and retain 50% he could be moved. Id rather paying 2.75 the next 4 yrs then have it smaller over 8 years. Just my opinion though.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I'm voting yes, but obviously only under the condition that it's impossible to trade him and take back less cap than the buyout.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
At this point they can't hold onto him any more.

There's little chance a team takes a flyer on him and wants to trade for him, so you have to buy him out. Team suffers the cap consequences as mentioned, but he can't hurt the team with his play anymore. Holding onto him for another season would not be wise of them.

I'd much rather trade him for some sort of asset, but at this point it's somewhat irrelevant.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Do anything

ANYTHING

to get him off the roster. If that means a buy-out so be it.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
no buyout...id rather bury him in the minors or in the press box and not have to eat that cap hit for the next fifty years.

DogwoodFLY

Jul 13, 2009
Flyers fan here.... What the hell happened to Dan Girardi that you guys hate him so passionately. I remember like three years ago he was an amazing shut down guy. Between him and McD you guys were next to impossible to break defensively.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
no buyout...id rather bury him in the minors or in the press box and not have to eat that cap hit for the next fifty years.

Well you're only saving 950K by doing that. Basically it comes down to would you prefer to basically carry a $4.5 cap hit for the next 4 years or the dead cap hit as seen above for the next 4 years with $1.25 the following 4 years after that.

At this point, he just needs to be off the roster even if we're eating substantial money. 4.5 dead cap hit with no Girardi is better than 5.5 cap hit with Girardi.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I voted No, reason being any gained cap space will likely be wasted anyway on some sort of quick fix that fixes nothing. I'd rather see Girardi hanging around even at his current playing level than another Glass, Boyle, Stoll, or whatever else they end up using the gained cap space on.

If they have to use the cap space to re-sign a RFA, like committing to a longer term buy up some UFA years on Miller, Kreider instead of a bridge, instead of using it on UFA shopping, then I'd vote Yes, but I don't see them doing that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I'm not sure you fully understand how any of this works.

Burying him in the minors saves $950k and nothing more. Even in the top years, buying him out saves more money than that. Keeping him in the press box saves nothing at all.

Holding a $1.25m cap hit for 4 years after his contract would have expired is essentially pocket change, provided the rest of the cap is managed properly.

I'd rather find somewhere to move him at 50% retained though.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
I think the Rangers are going to buy out Girardi. I don't think they have a choice based on his play this season. Girardi showed nothing to indicate that he would improve or his regression wouldn't continue.

All we can do right now is read into situations. This is my take. I think the Rangers playing Girardi in game 5 was a good indication they are buying him out. What!!! How can that be? Well, you can't buyout an injured player. That isn't to say Girardi might not be injured right now. I bet most players are injured to some extent. I think the Rangers just avoided a scenario where an agent will say "Hey my client is hurt, you can't buy him out" vs a scenario where the Rangers say "Your client was well enough to play a playoff game, here is our medical findings.".

The whole situation sucks. The Rangers have to move on from Girardi. Cut losses now and thank the maker that the cap hit isn't too bad on the buyout.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Unfortunately, I'm not sure I see anyone biting on Girardi without the Rangers eating at least half the salary.

If you find a taker, you're paying $2.75 million for the next four years.

If you buy him out, you pay an average of $1.65 million for the next eight.

The other option is you just ride it out and hope that maybe you get a very expensive sixth defenseman.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Flyers fan here.... What the hell happened to Dan Girardi that you guys hate him so passionately. I remember like three years ago he was an amazing shut down guy. Between him and McD you guys were next to impossible to break defensively.

He can't skate. He got turnstiled this season I think more than he has in his entire career. If he can't block a shot in the defensive zone, he's totally useless. Can't make a first pass to save his life. Worst Corsi defenseman in the league.

Not a complete disaster in the offensive zone, although given that he can never get there in the first place, it doesn't matter a whole lot.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

I don't think anyone hates him personally, but Rangers fans hate his play. He hurts the team more than he helps at this point. Age and years of his body taking a beating have caught up to him. He's too slow, he can't defend very well, and he can't make simple passes.

It sad because he has given his all the the Rangers, but his time has come.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro

His body is shot. He has no foot speed, turns the puck over a lot and looks lost 99% of the time. Even a simple clear of the puck has become an issue.

He's done.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Nothing wrong with him. He's fine. Just fine. Give us a third and he's yours!

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Unfortunately, I'm not sure I see anyone biting on Girardi without the Rangers eating at least half the salary.

The other option is you just ride it out and hope that maybe you get a very expensive sixth defenseman.

Dealing him and retaining half is much more preferable. The only year where the cap hit is more than the buyout in this case is next year and it's only by $1 million plus you're not paying him for an additional 4 years after his contract is up.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

You save no money at all by carrying him on the active roster.

You save 950K by sending him down to the minors, which given his NMC, I'm positive he wouldn't agree to in the first place.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure you fully understand how any of this works.

Burying him in the minors saves $950k and nothing more. Even in the top years, buying him out saves more money than that. Keeping him in the press box saves nothing at all.

Holding a $1.25m cap hit for 4 years after his contract would have expired is essentially pocket change, provided the rest of the cap is managed properly.

I'd rather find somewhere to move him at 50% retained though.

Oh I'm very familiar with how it works but thanks for implying im an idiot whose never posted on here before.

I'm familiar with it, I know it and I stand by my assertion. I want this team torn down, im willing to have Dan Girardi sit in the press box and be a 5.5 million dollar trip to the cap floor or a veteran leader for the Wolfpack than to have to absorb the "chump change" when the rangers may be in a position to start adding players to a team that is developing. 1.5 mil is chump change till you realize that 1.5 mil extra here and there pays for Carl Hagelin on this team instead of the revolving door of extras we had. you can keep your condescension to yourself.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

He got a lot slower and started playing more sporadically with the puck. Played the puck like it was a live grenade.

We also play a man-to-man system with AV, and G is just slowing down way too much for that.

He's just not worth it anymore.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

$2.75m is the same as it is in year 2 of a buyout and less than it is in years 3 or 4. If you can find a taker at 50%, you do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00