Buyout Girardi?

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Sure that is the sales pitch. But no nhl team is buying that.
There are only a few dumb GM's left so this draft will be crucial timing. You have to try that. It's an almost guarantee he'd be better in a zone D than he is here. I'd be surprised if G himself didn't want out playing for AV and that scheme.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
do you really trust whoever is in charge to play such a well-respected man #6 minutes?

smiley-sad016.gif

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Do you mind explaining how it's better to have more dead cap space than to have less?

Time. More dead cap space in the short term, less dead cap space in the long term. I dont see this as a short term team...so im less inclined to want him bought out.

with that said, im 100% in favor of retaining the max on his contract if someone will take him for a draft pick...ANY draft pick.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Time. More dead cap space in the short term, less dead cap space in the long term. I dont see this as a short term team...so im less inclined to want him bought out.

with that said, im 100% in favor of retaining the max on his contract if someone will take him for a draft pick...ANY draft pick.

I understand the hesitation on buying him out as the cap penalty is pretty long-term, but aside from two seasons before 2020, it seems pretty manageable.

If we could trade him at max retained for a 7th, I'd probably be more inclined to do that. But a buyout works too.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This is a really tough call. I feel that if we can get him to waive and retain 50% he could be moved. Id rather paying 2.75 the next 4 yrs then have it smaller over 8 years. Just my opinion though.

I tend to agree.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Between him and McD you guys were next to impossible to break defensively.

Impossible to break defensively, or impossible to score many goals on? The former suggests incredible shot suppression rates, the latter suggests an elite goaltender. I'll let you decide which one you believe the Rangers had more often than not.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
do you really trust whoever is in charge to play such a well-respected man #6 minutes?

The more I think about it, the next year or two I don't even care if they do play Girardi and/or Tanner Glass 20+ minutes a night. We should have zero expectations on winning if they are doing this correctly, and if that's true, we should also hope they lose as much as possible. It will be a miserable two seasons, but worth it in the end assuming they don't completely **** it up at the draft.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
The thing is like I said last page, I 100% think you can find a taker at 50% retained for him without the Rnagers having to add anything to entice the team. You may not get anything substantial but you'll be rid of him and half the cap hit. The issue again is the NMC. He controls where he goes and if he knows his days are numbered here, he may rather wait for the buyout where he gets 2/3rds money and can handpick his next place while collecting more money. The only reason I could see him waiving is if he's perfectly fine with the place they wind up sending him to or if he just doesn't want to be a pain to the team that treated him well for 10 or so years.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The thing is like I said last page, I 100% think you can find a taker at 50% retained for him without the Rnagers having to add anything to entice the team. You may not get anything substantial but you'll be rid of him and half the cap hit. The issue again is the NMC. He controls where he goes and if he knows his days are numbered here, he may rather wait for the buyout where he gets 2/3rds money and can handpick his next place while collecting more money. The only reason I could see him waiving is if he's perfectly fine with the place they wind up sending him to or if he just doesn't want to be a pain to the team that treated him well for 10 or so years.

i dont know how any GM in this day and age of analytics and video would take on Dan Girardi.

If we took half his contract youd have to imagine a team would want to give us at least 1 crappy player making 1-2 mil a year.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
i dont know how any GM in this day and age of analytics and video would take on Dan Girardi.

If we took half his contract youd have to imagine a team would want to give us at least 1 crappy player making 1-2 mil a year.

It could be Girardi isn't they type of player to play this system of defense. He might be workable in a zone defense like another poster said here. He might be good working in Columbus with Torts.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

We're only three years removed from Doug Murray getting two 2nds at the trade deadline!

2008-10-11-BarackisHope.jpg

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Of course buy him out. Tell him it's going to happen and he's free to waive and you'll try to move him first if he'd prefer. If not, buy him out.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
no buyout...id rather bury him in the minors or in the press box and not have to eat that cap hit for the next fifty years.

Buy-out:
16-17: 1.75M
17-18: 2.75M
18-19: 3.75M
19-20: 3.75M
20-21: 1.25M
21-22: 1.25M
22-23: 1.25M
23-24: 1.25M

Send him to the minors:
16-17: 4.55M
17-18: 4.55M
18-19: 4.55M
19-20: 4.55M

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The alternative is trading Girardi and buying out the acquired player. It would be a cheaper buyout. Girardi is owed $19M with $4M of that in signing bonus money which is not factored into the buyout. Girardi loses 1/3 of the $15M. The player acquired would need to have just salary remaining and the same or less term than Girardi has left. If it's a good team in a good location and Girardi plays under his contract for at least one more season,why not waive?

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Possible depend on how Giradi himself feels about his "future career". Perhaps have come to the conclusion that there is a life after hockey.

You know, that he feels that his body can't take more damage without it becoming ruined for life and decides to retire?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad