Buyout Girardi?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I like the Bolland idea. Florida's defense sucks after Campbell and Ekblad, and Campbell might be gone for them after July 1st. Though I guess Girardi doesn't help much in that area, but they don't need to know that. :naughty:
What better candidate to see value in Girardi than the team that paid $27.5M for Dave Bolland?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If I am the Rangers, I hold on to Girardi. Now hear me out:

Trade Staal and Klein. Re-sign Yandle.

Hold on to Girardi for 1 more year in a diminished role (must go out and find a top-4 RD). See how he fares next year with a longer off-season and hopefully no off-season surgery. If he plays well, trade him. If he doesn't buy him out next year. That cuts down on 2 years of buy-out dead cap space and it gives the Rangers a bottom-4 minute eater who can PK.

Staal and Klein should be gone and they have value. If they buy-out Girardi and make those trades, that leaves McDonagh and MAYBE Yandle as NHL d-men? Would be nice to throw Girardi on the bottom-pairing for another season for experience and depth.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Hold on to Girardi for 1 more year in a diminished role (must go out and find a top-4 RD). See how he fares next year with a longer off-season and hopefully no off-season surgery. If he plays well, trade him. If he doesn't buy him out next year. That cuts down on 2 years of buy-out dead cap space and it gives the Rangers a bottom-4 minute eater who can PK.

Staal and Klein should be gone and they have value. If they buy-out Girardi and make those trades, that leaves McDonagh and MAYBE Yandle as NHL d-men? Would be nice to throw Girardi on the bottom-pairing for another season for experience and depth.
They could sign another experienced defenseman who also can't play anymore for a lot cheaper than Girardi. I don't think that should be the deciding factor.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They could sign another experienced defenseman who also can't play anymore for a lot cheaper than Girardi. I don't think that should be the deciding factor.

While I agree, I don't think having Girardi on the roster for another year, after moving Klein, Staal and Nash, is going to somehow stop them from doing what they want this off-season. Klein + Nash + Staal + Boyle + Moore gone is a lot of money coming off the books. Hold on to Girardi for another year and see if he can raise his game a bit with a full off-season and cut down on his cap hit at worst case for the long-term buyout

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He makes out better financially by being bought out. So why would he want a trade instead?
He does? He'd lose $5 million if he were bought out, and that's not including salary deferral. You think he makes that up as a free agent?

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
He does? He'd lose $5 million if he were bought out, and that's not including salary deferral. You think he makes that up as a free agent?

Absolutely I do. 1 bad season? Gm's will look at it as a blip and pay him. Free agent frenzy. Look how many bad years Redden had and still got paid.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He makes out better financially by being bought out. So why would he want a trade instead?

Pride? I don't know, I feel like it's a nice thing to do for someone who's given a lot to the team and it costs NYR nothing - gives them a chance to save cap if anything.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Who plays with McD in this case?

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
Pride? I don't know, I feel like it's a nice thing to do for someone who's given a lot to the team and it costs NYR nothing - gives them a chance to save cap if anything.

I'm sorry, I must have misread what you meant. I thought you meant tell him he's being bought out to force him to waive his not trade. I apologize. Your right, it would be a nice gesture being he's given so much for the organization.

member 116805

Of course buy him out. Tell him it's going to happen and he's free to waive and you'll try to move him first if he'd prefer. If not, buy him out.

Why would he accept a trade if he could get bought out and cash in from that AND sign a new deal with a different team?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Unfortunately, I'm not sure I see anyone biting on Girardi without the Rangers eating at least half the salary.

If you find a taker, you're paying $2.75 million for the next four years.

If you buy him out, you pay an average of $1.65 million for the next eight.

The other option is you just ride it out and hope that maybe you get a very expensive sixth defenseman.

The problem with riding it out is that you have to have a coach that recognizes that he's a bottom pairing guy.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

This is likely the best solution.

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
Its a tough call but we need to try and move him at all costs, for both of our sakes. If he doesnt want to move then lets keep him as a 3rd liner for next year and then trade him when his NMC is gone.

We have to move at least Staal or Girardi this year. I have to imagine they have value to other teams but will they accept a move?

Toronto...I see you :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad