Big Buff Destroys Granlund (Wrist Surgery, Out For At Least a Month)

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
something called a penalty and a power play? hmmmmmmmmmmmm, idk where you are going with this and I am sure it will be even more asinine than your previous comments.

How does a 2 minute penalty match up to one month on the sidelines?

Last edited by a moderator:

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you

What are you suggesting here? That whenever there's an injury on the play the other party should be suspended for as long as the injury lasts?

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010

Here is why, you specifically said playoffs, you do that crap in the playoffs and it gives the team the power play advantage which can help make or break a series thanks to momentum.

What Buff did was interfere and just use his strength to take a guy out of the play, while illegal since it was interference, it wasn't malicious and there clearly wasnt intent to take him out and hurt him unlike Chara on Max P a few years back. That is why your idea of suspending him because of the injury is stupid. You cant suspended a guy for being bigger and stronger and you cant make special rules to protect smaller players. Basically, you cant play favorites and target people because of difference in skill and strength. it is stupid on so many levels.

You're whining about the injury and saying since Buff is bigger and stronger that he should be penalized for the illegal action with a suspension because an injury occurred. That is the problem with the NHL right now, they suspend because of injury, not the action regardless of the outcome. While the outcome was an injury, the the action was not malicious and if it happened to a guy like Lucic, Getzlaf, or any one that is over 185 lbs in and the 200lb area, they would not have flipped.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

If the league decides to punish players solely based on injuries then you're going to see minor awkward plays gone wrong (such as this one) result in larger punishments than blatant attempts to injure that missed the mark. It was a push towards the boards, it happens a million times a game, why does Buff get punished because Granlund fell on his wrist awkwardly when nobody else does? If a trip results in a guy going face first into the ice and causes a concussion, is that suspendable as well?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
What are you suggesting here? That whenever there's an injury on the play the other party should be suspended for as long as the injury lasts?

No. I suggested one game.

I think you have to hold someone responsible for illegal actions that lead directly and predictably to injury. Malice intended or not, it is a reckless play. I might just make it one game, but would make it clear "you can't do that"...otherwise the message is "Granlund, you can't play here".

If Buff did the same thing without the proximity to the boards, I would be more inclined to think it was not suspendable given the same injury and result, even though still illegal, as it would not be near as dangerous and more towards accidental.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
If the league decides to punish players solely based on injuries then you're going to see minor awkward plays gone wrong (such as this one) result in larger punishments than blatant attempts to injure that missed the mark. It was a push towards the boards, it happens a million times a game, why does Buff get punished because Granlund fell on his wrist awkwardly when nobody else does? If a trip results in a guy going face first into the ice and causes a concussion, is that suspendable as well?

I think there are differences between, say, a 1. malicious play with intent to injure, 2, an illegal but reckless play that predictably puts an opponent at significant risk even if unintended, 3, and an illegal play that has unfortunate, unintended and unlikely consequences. I would say this would be in the second category.

Buff should have known there was a pretty good chance that would not end well, not so much from the push toward the boards but more the obstructing clothesline effect that caused Granlund to be spun in the air.

I don't think my position is so extreme.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Why are people acting like the NHL never punishes the result? Hit to head and no injury? Nothing. Hit to head plus injury? Suspension

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
So...come playoffs...playing the same team 4 or more times...fair game for Buff to do the clothesline thing (whatever you want to call it...illegal obstruction not with the body)if he is getting beat? Smaller players must always consider illegal methods when going into traffic and allow larger players more space than their size and skill should afford them if played under the rules, or risk violent removal from the series?

Why should Buff refrain from doing this? Surely the answer is not a 2 minute penalty, so what is it...good graces?

Being big has significant advantages within the rules. Why should it be even higher by essentially allowing (encouraging by allowing advantage) illegal play?

You guys do know there was a penalty called right? Sorry Crosbyfan, not meaning to pick on you, but holy crap guys - a huge man pushes a little man in the chest and we are talking about "clothelines" and suspensions.

Nice to see Buff imposing himself this year. You guys don't like stuff like this, fine - watch basketball or soccer. This is the fastest game on earth, and it is played with physical intensity...the man got a penalty

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
I think there are differences between, say, a 1. malicious play with intent to injure, 2, an illegal but reckless play that predictably puts an opponent at significant risk even if unintended, 3, and an illegal play that has unfortunate, unintended and unlikely consequences. I would say this would be in the second category.

Buff should have known there was a pretty good chance that would not end well, not so much from the push toward the boards but more the obstructing clothesline effect that caused Granlund to be spun in the air.

I don't think my position is so extreme.

You know what, there was the rest of the game for Minnesota to retaliate if they thought the play was dirty, they didn't. The injury was made public after the game, and the Wild played in Winnipeg for their next game. Again, for this next game there was no retaliation by any of the Wild players towards Byfuglien. It was an unfortunate play, period.

El Nino 22

May 3, 2014
Minnesota
I can actually see this being a good thing for Finnish Baby Jesus. He isn't capable of playing worse than he was so a month off can only help.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Buff CRUSH little man :amazed:

Angry Buff is a major influence on the blueline. If Maurice can keep Buff playing like he has been - watch out.

Then Trouba and Bogo get back in the lineup nobody will want to venture down the LW vs the Jets :handclap:

Randal61

Jan 12, 2014
Thats not a standard Hockey hit... I realize he got a penalty but since when was it necessary to stick your arms out and toss a guy. The size of either player shouldn't matter. Actions do. If that was a body check sure, no reason to think about a suspension.

But sticking both arms out and tossing a player to prevent him from making a play on the puck isn't a hit... Doesn't seem like there is really a good term for what Buff did.

he didn't fall awkwardly from a hit. He got thrown essentially
It's called iNTERFERENCE.

Joedaman55

Jun 7, 2014
Anchorage, AK
You know what, there was the rest of the game for Minnesota to retaliate if they thought the play was dirty, they didn't. The injury was made public after the game, and the Wild played in Winnipeg for their next game. Again, for this next game there was no retaliation by any of the Wild players towards Byfuglien. It was an unfortunate play, period.

Not sure who would want to retaliate against Buff, they might be digging their own grave.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Buff is 7 inches taller and about 80 pounds heavier than Granlund. It is unfortunate that Granlund got injured, but you cannot start suspending players based on injuries that occur due to these size differences.

I wasn't expecting a suspension I would just like to see the league follow the NFL. Similar to when they use the term "defenseless receiver"

A lot of times a receiver goes over the middle to catch a pass and the safety clocks him.

That player doesn't even know what hit him. I don't like hard contact where a player hits the boards hard or awkwardly or in many cases where a " boarding " penalty is insufficient.
I hate to see hits where a player has no time to brace themselves. I don't think Granlund saw that coming fully.
Even Orpiks injury last night looked to be more serious and that was his own fault. But if he had hit the mark, Clutterbuck could have been the one hurt.

Orpik is lucky that he wasn't hurt bad. If the league disallowed blind hits I doubtb Orpik would have even attempted that move.

Getting hit when your heads down or unexpectingly can be dangerous and heavy fines and penalties would stop those things. I'm not implying what Buff did was dirty at all.
I just want less injuries.

Every time I watch a player hit the ice hard I think of Travis Roy.

Last edited:

JCLiponfanboy*

Should be a minor for interference. He got it, therefore no suspension.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
I wasn't expecting a suspension I would just like to see the league follow the NFL. Similar to when they use the term "defenseless receiver"

A lot of times a receiver goes over the middle to catch a pass and the safety clocks him.

That player doesn't even know what hit him. I don't like hard contact where a player hits the boards hard or awkwardly or in many cases where a " boarding " penalty is insufficient.
I hate to see hits where a player has no time to brace themselves. I don't think Granlund saw that coming fully.
Even Orpiks injury last night looked to be more serious and that was his own fault. But if he had hit the mark, Clutterbuck could have been the one hurt.

Orpik is lucky that he wasn't hurt bad. If the league disallowed blind hits I doubtb Orpik would have even attempted that move.

Getting hit when your heads down or unexpectingly can be dangerous and heavy fines and penalties would stop those things. I'm not implying what Buff did was dirty at all.
I just want less injuries.

Every time I watch a player hit the ice hard I think of Travis Roy.

I disagree. In hockey, you should have your head up at all times and never be in a position where you can't see a (legal) hit coming. You're taught since you first lace them up to never give or receive a suicide pass, never cut to the middle of the ice with your head down, never admire your pass, etc. On the other side, if you see a guy stick handling with his head down you're taught to lay that guy out.

Assuming the hit is clean, the responsibility lies with the guy who has the puck to protect himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00