Big Buff Destroys Granlund (Wrist Surgery, Out For At Least a Month)

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Someone doesn't understand physics...:shakehead

I liked how you avoided the question,

I will rephrase,

What do you think happens to someone who is skating at a high rate of speed, and they are pushed in the chest stopping all forward momentum of the upper body, yet the lower body remains untouched and continues forward at a high rate of speed....

Ready....go.

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
lol at the physics quotes.

A couple of you are forgetting about something called friction :laugh:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I liked how you avoided the question,

I will rephrase,

What do you think happens to someone who is skating at a high rate of speed, and they are pushed in the chest stopping all forward momentum of the upper body, yet the lower body remains untouched and continues forward at a high rate of speed....

Ready....go.

They would rotate much like Granlund did.

Your turn...

What do you think happens to someone who is skating at a high rate of speed, and they are restrained in the chest stopping all forward momentum of the upper body, yet the lower body remains untouched and continues forward at a high rate of speed....

Pushing requires body position

Here is a really old piece of advice (not mine...old as the hills and older than the link would indicate)

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20130226120750-249493-best-advice-you-can-t-push-on-a-rope

You can’t push on a rope. A fourth-year engineering school professor told me that most of engineering could be reduced to two things: F=ma, and you can’t push on a rope.

I heard it as two of three things, but can't remember the third LOL

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They would rotate much like Granlund did.

Your turn...

What do you think happens to someone who is skating at a high rate of speed, and they are restrained in the chest stopping all forward momentum of the upper body, yet the lower body remains untouched and continues forward at a high rate of speed....

Pushing requires body position

Here is a really old piece of advice (not mine...old as the hills and older than the link would indicate)

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20130226120750-249493-best-advice-you-can-t-push-on-a-rope

Pushing requires body position, so then....if you agree that Buff pushed on him, in essence, you are saying that Buff had body position...and in the rule that YOU quoted, it said that it is not a penalty to make a strength move based off of body position....

So based off of the rule that YOU quoted, it is not a penalty for holding...

Got it....

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Pushing requires body position, so then....if you agree that Buff pushed on him, in essence, you are saying that Buff had body position...and in the rule that YOU quoted, it said that it is not a penalty to make a strength move based off of body position....

So based off of the rule that YOU quoted, it is not a penalty for holding...

Got it....

Those darn vectors again...the push was towards the boards and did not upend Granlund.

Yes. I didn't have a problem with that element of it.

The push did not cause Granlund to upend. It was the restraining force.

SatisfiedYellowishComet.gif

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Someone doesn't understand physics...:shakehead

Whether or not you guys understand physics at all, you're doing a relatively poor job of applying it to make your point. I don't even get why you're trying to portray this as holding as opposed to interference. Interference already implies that there has been restraint/impedance outside of the rules.

And "pushing" doesn't require any particular body position, btw. A cross-check is a push with the stick, and it doesn't matter if you're in front of, behind, or beside (or above or below, for that matter) the person you do it to, nor if one person is standing still while the other skates by with velocity/momentum.

Buff got an arm in front of Granlund enough to slow him down, and give Buff a chance to turn a bit and push right through Grandlund's centre of gravity, allowing him to take the much smaller Granlund right off his feet as he tried to squeak through the check along the boards. 2 minutes for interference. End of story.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
It's just comical that Pierre Marc "killer" Bouchard gets two games for a guy high sticking himself, and then a play like this is just a-ok

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Whether or not you guys understand physics at all, you're doing a relatively poor job of applying it to make your point. I don't even get why you're trying to portray this as holding as opposed to interference. Interference already implies that there has been restraint/impedance outside of the rules.

And "pushing" doesn't require any particular body position, btw. A cross-check is a push with the stick, and it doesn't matter if you're in front of, behind, or beside (or above or below, for that matter) the person you do it to, nor if one person is standing still while the other skates by with velocity/momentum.

Buff got an arm in front of Granlund enough to slow him down, and give Buff a chance to turn a bit and push right through Grandlund's centre of gravity, allowing him to take the much smaller Granlund right off his feet as he tried to squeak through the check along the boards. 2 minutes for interference. End of story.

The debate is whether what Buff did would be illegal if Granlund had the puck

Bingo. As of yet, I haven't read a single explanation of how this would have been an illegal play if Granlund had control of the puck.

Show me where it states in the NHL rules that this would've been an illegal play. I'll wait.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
Those darn vectors again...the push was towards the boards and did not upend Granlund.

Ah yes, we all forgot that force vectors can only act perpendicular to each other... :shakehead

Buff pushing Granlund "towards the boards" would have no effect at all on his forward momentum, no sir

Also, the "pushing on a rope" point is completely irrelevant here and the article you quoted doesn't even explain the concept.

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
The debate is whether what Buff did would be illegal if Granlund had the puck

Well then, nothing he did with his hands/arms would have met any "holding" criteria, and it would have been treated as a "rub-out" along the boards. The engagement basically started shoulder to shoulder, and ended with the stronger man pushing the smaller man down on his way by (hence the interference).

Tony253

North, never Dallas
Jan 15, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Wild fan here, no doubt it was interference which was properly called...My biggest beef is that there was no response mainly because they have no one who has the mindset to do so. Wild are the softest team (& probably one of the smallest) in the league which is death in the West when already LAK, STL, ANA can grind teams into dust.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Wild fan here, no doubt it was interference which was properly called...My biggest beef is that there was no response mainly because they have no one who has the mindset to do so. Wild are the softest team (& probably one of the smallest) in the league which is death in the West when already LAK, STL, ANA can grind teams into dust.

Not anymore. You are probably thinking of a few years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->