Big Buff Destroys Granlund (Wrist Surgery, Out For At Least a Month)

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
If you are going to allow Granlund to play hockey in the NHL, you have to allow him some protection, beyond a 2 minute penalty, for being illegally "suspended" for a month, for simply playing hockey well.

He is gone for a month through no fault of his own...the fault is completely on Buff.

Buff made a mistake. Why should he not repeat it?

ROFL

Let's make special rules for Granlund because he's smaller guy.

Buff gets away with quite a bit off borderline stuff. I don't think it's suspendable necessarily, but how Buff brings him down was certainly illegal. Given the fact he got injured on an illegal hit, i'd be ok with him getting a game or two.

Yeah, which is why he got a two-minute penalty. You can't suspended a guy because his opponent fell awkwardly and hurt his wrist...

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
ROFL

Let's make special rules for Granlund because he's smaller guy.

Yeah, which is why he got a two-minute penalty. You can't suspended a guy because his opponent fell awkwardly and hurt his wrist...

Thats not a standard Hockey hit... I realize he got a penalty but since when was it necessary to stick your arms out and toss a guy. The size of either player shouldn't matter. Actions do. If that was a body check sure, no reason to think about a suspension.

But sticking both arms out and tossing a player to prevent him from making a play on the puck isn't a hit... Doesn't seem like there is really a good term for what Buff did.

he didn't fall awkwardly from a hit. He got thrown essentially

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
Thats not a standard Hockey hit... I realize he got a penalty but since when was it necessary to stick your arms out and toss a guy. The size of either player shouldn't matter. Actions do. If that was a body check sure, no reason to think about a suspension.

But sticking both arms out and tossing a player to prevent him from making a play on the puck isn't a hit... Doesn't seem like there is really a good term for what Buff did.

Using your arms when you're caught in a bad position to prevent an opponent from skating by you is pretty much textbook interference.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
A slow defenseman got caught out of position and then sticks his arms out like an offensive lineman.

I don't think it should be any more than 2 minutes in the box, but when a player is injured like that because you blatantly disregarded the rules it's just a disgrace.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
I get that, but when did basically throwing the player become ok?

Every team is guilty of that play a handful of times a game. The only difference here is that it happened between Byfuglien an Granlund. What do you propose, players under 6'0" and under 185lbs wear a purple jersey so that other players know to go easy on them when throwing the body?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I get that, but when did basically throwing the player become ok?

I don't think it has ever NOT been okay, per se (not that this was really a "throw" as much as a grab and plant), just good luck pulling it off most of the time. 265 lbs vs 186 lbs has to be one of the biggest mismatches you can draw up on paper between two NHLers.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Buff is a known reckless player... so even some simple interference can end badly. This is one of those cases.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Buff is a known reckless player... so even some simple interference can end badly. This is one of those cases.

How about a few examples of his recklessness? There must be lots of them out there. Maybe hitting qualifies? Head shots? Interference? How about his constant fighting? Suspensions?

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Poor little Granny, I have a soft spot for him. Hope he recovers fast. He is a good Can...errr..Finnish farm boy.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
So...come playoffs...playing the same team 4 or more times...fair game for Buff to do the clothesline thing (whatever you want to call it...illegal obstruction not with the body)if he is getting beat? Smaller players must always consider illegal methods when going into traffic and allow larger players more space than their size and skill should afford them if played under the rules, or risk violent removal from the series?

Why should Buff refrain from doing this? Surely the answer is not a 2 minute penalty, so what is it...good graces?

Being big has significant advantages within the rules. Why should it be even higher by essentially allowing (encouraging by allowing advantage) illegal play?

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
So...come playoffs...playing the same team 4 or more times...fair game for Buff to do the clothesline thing (whatever you want to call it...illegal obstruction not with the body)if he is getting beat? Smaller players must always consider illegal methods when going into traffic and allow larger players more space than their size and skill should afford them if played under the rules, or risk violent removal from the series?

Why should Buff refrain from doing this? Surely the answer is not a 2 minute penalty, so what is it...good graces?

Being big has significant advantages within the rules. Why should it be even higher by essentially allowing (encouraging by allowing advantage) illegal play?

Since when did hands and arms not become a part of the body?

so he should be suspended because what he did injured someone? He got 2 minutes, he wasnt going in to clothesline him with the stick like Chris Simon.

You are being absolutely ridiculous.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
How can you let another man do that to you. I would play one more shift and give an accidental highstick causing blood. Then leave the game for repairs.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Since when did hands and arms not become a part of the body?

so he should be suspended because what he did injured someone? He got 2 minutes, he wasnt going in to clothesline him with the stick like Chris Simon.

You are being absolutely ridiculous.

Since obvious context became obvious...

Again...why should a big guy (for the point we can set aside that it is Buff) refrain from doing this to a smaller player? Why should they not accept the reward from being big, and place a significant risk of injury to any small player that threatens to outplay them, by illegal means?

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Since obvious context became obvious...

Again...why should a big guy (for the point we can set aside that it is Buff) refrain from doing this to a smaller player? Why should they not accept the reward from being big, and place a significant risk of injury to any small player that threatens to outplay them, by illegal means?

something called a penalty and a power play? hmmmmmmmmmmmm, idk where you are going with this and I am sure it will be even more asinine than your previous comments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad