Big Buff Destroys Granlund (Wrist Surgery, Out For At Least a Month)

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Things like this are why I keep arguing for suspensions for interference calls...its an illegal play that resulted in an injury...same premise as a check from behind or slash or anything suspend-able...there was intent and it was illegal and resulted in an injury.

Sure its a case of a much bigger guy demolishing a smaller guy which is part of the game but only when legal...you have to have the puck...

edit to clarify the hit was in no way a huge deal, and by suspend-able I mean the bare minimum 1 game, I just wanna see a precedent sent for hurting guys on interference calls to maybe try to check it a little bit.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Things like this are why I keep arguing for suspensions for interference calls...its an illegal play that resulted in an injury...same premise as a check from behind or slash or anything suspend-able...there was intent and it was illegal and resulted in an injury.

Sure its a case of a much bigger guy demolishing a smaller guy which is part of the game but only when legal...you have to have the puck...

edit to clarify the hit was in no way a huge deal, and by suspend-able I mean the bare minimum 1 game, I just wanna see a precedent sent for hurting guys on interference calls to maybe try to check it a little bit.

The injury precedence does get taken into effect, but in this rare scenario, so does the size difference. If this is Ryan Suter coming down the ice, do you really think Buff is throwing him around like that with ease? Buff is extremely strong, and can probably destroy roughly 99% of players in this league when throwing a check with all his effort, but he wasn't going to destroy someone here. He was separating Granlund from the puck. He got an interference penalty, and that's all it should have been because Granlund made the smart play of getting the puck deep, keeping his feet moving and drawing a penalty. The last thing that probably crossed Buff's mind was "I'm gonna clothesline this guy right now". It's simply Buff being too big for Granlund.

If you're going to take injuries into consideration, you also have to consider size difference. This wasn't a flying elbow. This was an interference penalty that probably doesn't occur if the player is bigger because Buff wouldn't be able to toss him around the way he does Granlund

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
The injury precedence does get taken into effect, but in this rare scenario, so does the size difference. If this is Ryan Suter coming down the ice, do you really think Buff is throwing him around like that with ease?
eh, he rag dolls people suter's size too. Buff is 6'5 265, hes one of the biggest guys in the NHL and possibly the strongest.

probably doesn't occur if the player is bigger because Buff wouldn't be able to toss him around the way he does Granlund

see above, but I agree with what you are saying in regards to the size difference etc.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Oh man Granlund got wrecked

SmCurse

Sep 4, 2013
I`ve seen this type of clothesline number of times (not with the same results though, just unlucky injury). It usually happens when D goes for a hip check/shoulder to shoulder circling backwards and F makes a quick turn. D has played himself out and reaches out with arms as a last option to stop the F. Interference 2min.

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
Not suspendable or anything, but it wasnt even a hit he just got beat and clotheslined the guy which resulted similar effect as slewfooting, if he actually just hit him he woulnd have gotten injured.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
IT WAS CALLED AS 2 MINUTE MINOR.

The problem I have with it was that Granlund was not positioning himself in a way to prevent that type of hit because the puck was long gone and he was not eligible to be hit. He was trying to skate through and get the puck because Buff was caught flatfooted. This is why Granlund took the hit so poorly. Not a big deal if he is not injured, but when the result is a major injury it leaves a bad taste.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Clothesline from hell.

So planting your gloves in the opponent's chest and pushing him into the boards is a clothesline now? I always thought that extending your arm and bringing the opponent down by the impact of your arm on his head/throat or chest is a clothesline. I guess this is the new NHL.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
Granted it was from the Wild - Jets game on Saturday, not tonight's game but I think it deserves a thread now that Granlund is out for at least a month due to wrist surgery from the hit. Looks like he landed on his wrist the wrong way.

SatisfiedYellowishComet.gif

I guess the argument is if the hit was legal or not but to me it wasn't illegal. This is just a case of a big strong hockey player throwing a small player around like a rag doll.

Legal? Where's the puck when he gets taken out.Not a chance it's legal.
But than again Interference is only a 2 minute penalty.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Someday a player will be seriously injured by hits of this nature. It might be a big man on little man run in but Granlund was off balance and unaware. He has no time to brace himself.
I know a penalty was called but these things IMO need be outlawed before serious injury occurs.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Someday a player will be seriously injured by hits of this nature. It might be a big man on little man run in but Granlund was off balance and unaware. He has no time to brace himself.
I know a penalty was called but these things IMO need be outlawed before serious injury occurs.

What things? Please explain what you would outlaw on that type of hit. Not being disingenuous. I just don't see what was wrong with it besides the called interference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad