Big Buff Destroys Granlund (Wrist Surgery, Out For At Least a Month)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I wasn't expecting a suspension I would just like to see the league follow the NFL. Similar to when they use the term "defenseless receiver"

A lot of times a receiver goes over the middle to catch a pass and the safety clocks him.

That player doesn't even know what hit him. I don't like hard contact where a player hits the boards hard or awkwardly or in many cases where a " boarding " penalty is insufficient.
I hate to see hits where a player has no time to brace themselves. I don't think Granlund saw that coming fully.
Even Orpiks injury last night looked to be more serious and that was his own fault. But if he had hit the mark, Clutterbuck could have been the one hurt.

Orpik is lucky that he wasn't hurt bad. If the league disallowed blind hits I doubtb Orpik would have even attempted that move.

Getting hit when your heads down or unexpectingly can be dangerous and heavy fines and penalties would stop those things. I'm not implying what Buff did was dirty at all.
I just want less injuries.

Every time I watch a player hit the ice hard I think of Travis Roy.

As I've pointed out in many other threads, you're tought from a very young age to keep your head up at all times to avoid being hurt. It is not the hitters fault that the victim is skating with their head down.

As I've said, if they made your idea a rule, players could just skate full speed at centre ice with their head down knowing no one can hit them without getting suspended.

Teppo

Mar 3, 2008
I disagree. In hockey, you should have your head up at all times and never be in a position where you can't see a (legal) hit coming. You're taught since you first lace them up to never give or receive a suicide pass, never cut to the middle of the ice with your head down, never admire your pass, etc. On the other side, if you see a guy stick handling with his head down you're taught to lay that guy out.

It was not a point when a legal hit could be delivered - puck was nowhere near them.

Assuming the hit is clean, the responsibility lies with the guy who has the puck to protect himself.

It was not clean, so you are saying it was not Granlund's responsibility for what happened - I agree.

Not worthy of a suspension. 2 minute interference was the right call. The injury was just a pure fluke. It was a broken wrist from landing funny.

I hate hearing the "he should have kept his head up" line for hits that are delivered at a point when delivering a hit is not legal. You can't play hockey, and nobody would want to watch hockey, where a player has to be prepared to expect a hit at all times. When you have the puck, are fishing for the puck, just received a pass, or just made a pass you need to have your head up. When you are pursuing a loose puck 20 feet away you should not have to worry about be clobbered - you should be able to put your head down and get the puck.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
It was not a point when a legal hit could be delivered - puck was nowhere near them.

It was not clean, so you are saying it was not Granlund's responsibility for what happened - I agree.

Not worthy of a suspension. 2 minute interference was the right call. The injury was just a pure fluke. It was a broken wrist from landing funny.

I hate hearing the "he should have kept his head up" line for hits that are delivered at a point when delivering a hit is not legal. You can't play hockey, and nobody would want to watch hockey, where a player has to be prepared to expect a hit at all times. When you have the puck, are fishing for the puck, just received a pass, or just made a pass you need to have your head up. When you are pursuing a loose puck 20 feet away you should not have to worry about be clobbered - you should be able to put your head down and get the puck.
If you actually read the post to which I was replying you would see I was referring to his proposal that the NHL implement a "defenseless player" rule similar to the NFL.

That is why I specified that in the event of a clean hit, the responsibility is on the puck carrier.

Last edited:

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
As a Jets fan, I will admit this is interference.

It's scary as hell and I'm glad Granlund wasn't hurt worse. Buff can ragdoll other players when he wants to. I'm sure glad he plays for us instead of against us.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Granted it was from the Wild - Jets game on Saturday, not tonight's game but I think it deserves a thread now that Granlund is out for at least a month due to wrist surgery from the hit. Looks like he landed on his wrist the wrong way.

SatisfiedYellowishComet.gif

I guess the argument is if the hit was legal or not but to me it wasn't illegal. This is just a case of a big strong hockey player throwing a small player around like a rag doll.

Great hit, loved watching it. :handclap:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Great hit, loved watching it. :handclap:

What happens right after? Does he grab a rope and tie two legs and one arm of Granlund together?

That might explain the sore wrist, as that otherwise looks like a perfectly safe hockey play...

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
What happens right after? Does he grab a rope and tie two legs and one arm of Granlund together?

That might explain the sore wrist, as that otherwise looks like a perfectly safe hockey play...

Still whining about it not being safe? You do realize this is a fast paced high contact sport right? Unsafe plays happen. A clean hit is unsafe since there is potential for injury. Whiplash, concussions and separated shoulders etc. Hell, look at Perry, he was hit with a textbook hip check and hurt his lower body. I guess Ballard should have gotten a suspension if your logic was put into place.

There was no malicious intent. Come to think of it, the more I look at it, it looks like Buff tried to shove him from the chest into the boards and wound up flipping him as a result of his strength and Granlunds speed. The right call was made, no suspension needed.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
I disagree. In hockey, you should have your head up at all times and never be in a position where you can't see a (legal) hit coming. You're taught since you first lace them up to never give or receive a suicide pass, never cut to the middle of the ice with your head down, never admire your pass, etc. On the other side, if you see a guy stick handling with his head down you're taught to lay that guy out.

Assuming the hit is clean, the responsibility lies with the guy who has the puck to protect himself.

This is a very informative post and a good one. And I do like checking and physical play.

Only thing even if a player does everything correctly as you suggested above serious injury can still occur simply do to players playing the body instead of the puck. You can have your head up all the way and be sure of your surroundings and still fail to move away in time. Or maybe get hit in a different direction by a second player.
Such is the case with Buffs hit on Granlund.
I felt the hit was unnecessary and it was kinda late. Granlund fell awkwardly and was demolished because of his small stature. Still the penalty was only for interference which I guess is the correct call. Maybe the league should review the " defenseless argument" I stated earlier. This is a good example of it. Legal vs. Illegal is a thin line.
I wouldn't mind it if the NHL decided to change the rules to avoid less injuries.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
As I've pointed out in many other threads, you're tought from a very young age to keep your head up at all times to avoid being hurt. It is not the hitters fault that the victim is skating with their head down.

As I've said, if they made your idea a rule, players could just skate full speed at centre ice with their head down knowing no one can hit them without getting suspended.

This is very true and an excellent post but people have been crying for more offense on these boards.
One way to make the game more exciting is to let the skill players do their thing.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
So...come playoffs...playing the same team 4 or more times...fair game for Buff to do the clothesline thing (whatever you want to call it...illegal obstruction not with the body)if he is getting beat? Smaller players must always consider illegal methods when going into traffic and allow larger players more space than their size and skill should afford them if played under the rules, or risk violent removal from the series?

Why should Buff refrain from doing this? Surely the answer is not a 2 minute penalty, so what is it...good graces?

Being big has significant advantages within the rules. Why should it be even higher by essentially allowing (encouraging by allowing advantage) illegal play?

A clothesline would be at the neck he hit him in the chest, and a throwing motion would require a him grabbing him and throwing him which he did not do. I understand Minny fans being mad cause granny got hurt but Buff got the proper penalty, and I hope granny's wrist heals 100 percent.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
A clothesline would be at the neck he hit him in the chest, and a throwing motion would require a him grabbing him and throwing him which he did not do. I understand Minny fans being mad cause granny got hurt but Buff got the proper penalty, and I hope granny's wrist heals 100 percent.

Do you think that is a legal hit if Granlund had the puck?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
A clothesline means you're using your arm as a stationary "bar" to knock a guy down at chest or throat level, using a combination of your own momentum and the other person's momentum coming towards you. That wasn't even close to what happened on that play.

Oh please, way to pull out the [mod] dictionary.

It sure as heck wasn't a body check.

You don't check with your arms. Call it what you want.. golf swing.. clothsline, Captain kirk double hand side chop.

It's still a stupid move on Dustin's part.

and yah that's almost exactly what happend in the play.. just remove the stationary part.

Last edited by a moderator:

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Seriously? No it is not legal. He is obstructing (holding), with both arms, a player that completely has him beat

Yes, which is why it's interference. If Granlund had the puck at the time it would have just been another rub out along the boards.

You need to watch more hockey if you think this was more than a minor penalty. If that play happens a second early it's not even a minor penalty but a good defensive move

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Oh please, way to pull out the [mod] dictionary.

It sure as heck wasn't a body check.

You don't check with your arms. Call it what you want.. golf swing.. clothsline, Captain kirk double hand side chop.

It's still a stupid move on Dustin's part.

and yah that's almost exactly what happend in the play.. just remove the stationary part.

Calling it a clothesline is ridiculous hyperbole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Calling it a clothesline is ridiculous hyperbole.

and not recognizing the clothesline effect is what?

I have no problem with the push/shove (puck position notwithstanding). It was an attempted body position movement that wasn't successful (as he was completely beat). It is the impediment, with both arms and without body position, that is illegal, and in this case high enough to spin Granlund skates over head, as would be expected when obstructed high in this manner. (read...just like getting clotheslined)

Buff got beat, and can't do that, whether Granlund has the puck or not.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
and not recognizing the clothesline effect is what?

I have no problem with the push/shove (puck position notwithstanding). It was an attempted body position movement that wasn't successful (as he was completely beat). It is the impediment, with both arms and without body position, that is illegal, and in this case high enough to spin Granlund skates over head, as would be expected when obstructed high in this manner. (read...just like getting clotheslined)

Buff got beat, and can't do that, whether Granlund has the puck or not.

Can you point to where in the rules it states that shoving a player in the chest, while he has the puck, is illegal?

Note: I have no interest in hearing you say that it's dangerous for a big player to hit a small player. I want you to show where it says that what Byfuglien did would have been illegal if Granlund had had the puck on his stick.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Can you point to where in the rules it states that shoving a player in the chest, while he has the puck, is illegal?

Note: I have no interest in hearing you say that it's dangerous for a big player to hit a small player. I want you to show where it says that what Byfuglien did would have been illegal if Granlund had had the puck on his stick.

Bingo. As of yet, I haven't read a single explanation of how this would have been an illegal play if Granlund had control of the puck.

Show me where it states in the NHL rules that this would've been an illegal play. I'll wait.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

No. I already stated the shove was not the concern (puck position/possession issues aside). In fact I restated it in the post you quoted.

It is illegal to block or impede a player with the arms without body position.(holding)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26346

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad