Big Buff Destroys Granlund (Wrist Surgery, Out For At Least a Month)

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Has there ever been a suspension for holding? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You sir, are hard to take seriously.

You are acting as if there was no penalty called....why?

I am refuting claims that it would be a legal play if Granlund had the puck

For example...

Bingo. As of yet, I haven't read a single explanation of how this would have been an illegal play if Granlund had control of the puck.

Show me where it states in the NHL rules that this would've been an illegal play. I'll wait.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If you don't see it that's fine, but Granlund certainly didn't go head over heals (or vice versa) because of the shove.

No, he went head over heels because of the shove back as he was going full speed forward, and before you start, it was a shove to the chest, not a clothesline to the head ffs.

Buff literally put two hands into his shoulder/chest area and shoved him towards the boards while Granlund was skating at a high rate of speed, you know what happens when that happens? His feet keep moving forward, and his upper body, that was stopped due to the shove, don't, and......you go head over heels,

Where exactly do you think the hold happened in that scenario?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
If you don't see it that's fine, but Granlund certainly didn't go head over heals (or vice versa) because of the shove.

He went head over heels because of a shove by someone who has momentum and around ~80 lbs and a half foot on him.

Do you not understand physics?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
No, he went head over heels because of the shove back as he was going full speed forward, and before you start, it was a shove to the chest, not a clothesline to the head ffs.

Buff literally put two hands into his shoulder/chest area and shoved him towards the boards while Granlund was skating at a high rate of speed, you know what happens when that happens? His feet keep moving forward, and his upper body, that was stopped due to the shove, don't, and......you go head over heels,

Where exactly do you think the hold happened in that scenario?

OK, before I start, I agree that the contact was not to the head. I never said otherwise.

Where exactly do I think the hold happened in that scenario?

Almost all of the contact time with Buff's left arm. All of the contact time with Buff's right arm.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
He went head over heels because of a shove by someone who has momentum and around ~80 lbs and a half foot on him.

Do you not understand physics?

LOL. F = ma, the force vector is backwards... not in the direction of the shove

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
No. I already stated the shove was not the concern (puck position/possession issues aside). In fact I restated it in the post you quoted.

It is illegal to block or impede a player with the arms without body position.(holding)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26346

A player is permitted to use his arm in a strength move, by blocking his opponent, provided he has body position and is not using his hands in a holding manner, when doing so.

He is not using his hands in a holding manner. He is shoving him in a strength move.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
OK, before I start, I agree that the contact was not to the head. I never said otherwise.

Where exactly do I think the hold happened in that scenario?

Almost all of the contact time with Buff's left arm. All of the contact time with Buff's right arm.

So essentially, you think 1-2 seconds is a hold?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
So essentially, you think 1-2 seconds is a hold?

Yes, it certainly gets called for less than 1 second.

It is obstruction without body position. Most holding calls are much more subtle and brief than this.

If you get beat you can push a guy wider, but you can't restrain him.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Yes, it certainly gets called for less than 1 second.

It is obstruction without body position. Most holding calls are much more subtle and brief than this.

If you get beat you can push a guy wider, but you can't restrain him.

So do you agree that Buff, pushed Granlund?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
So do you agree that Buff, pushed Granlund?

I, personally, would agree that Buff used his arms to impede Granlund. You can shove a guy off the puck, you can't shove a guy off his line of puck pursuit. I think some ticky-tacky intereference calls result from the way they have decided to enforce it these days, but that's how it is, and he got the 2 minutes he "deserved" for it.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I, personally, would agree that Buff used his arms to impede Granlund. You can shove a guy off the puck, you can't shove a guy off his line of puck pursuit. I think some ticky-tacky intereference calls result from the way they have decided to enforce it these days, but that's how it is, and he got the 2 minutes he "deserved" for it.

That was absolutely without a doubt interference, Granlund wasn't the one that dumped the puck, he didn't have possession and was skating for possession and Buff just buried him,

But that's where it ends....at a two minute penalty....

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I don't think so. I tutored University Physics.

Do you understand vectors?

The push did not cause Granlund to upend. It was the restraining force.

You're kidding right?

You might have tutored University Physics, but you have spent ZERO time on the ice.

To have come to the conclusion that the push did not cause Granlund to upend is asinine at best....

What part of his upper body stopped while his lower body kept going at a high rate of speed isn't computing?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
You're kidding right?

You might have tutored University Physics, but you have spent ZERO time on the ice.

To have come to the conclusion that the push did not cause Granlund to upend is asinine at best....

What part of his upper body stopped while his lower body kept going at a high rate of speed isn't computing?

Someone doesn't understand physics...:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->