Big Buff Destroys Granlund (Wrist Surgery, Out For At Least a Month)

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Someday a player will be seriously injured by hits of this nature. It might be a big man on little man run in but Granlund was off balance and unaware. He has no time to brace himself.
I know a penalty was called but these things IMO need be outlawed before serious injury occurs.

Buff is 7 inches taller and about 80 pounds heavier than Granlund. It is unfortunate that Granlund got injured, but you cannot start suspending players based on injuries that occur due to these size differences.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Buff is 7 inches taller and about 80 pounds heavier than Granlund. It is unfortunate that Granlund got injured, but you cannot start suspending players based on injuries that occur due to these size differences.

Agreed. Adopting the two-minutes-for-being-big penalty from minor hockey is the last thing the NHL should do.

FoppaForsberg*

LOL. wow, thats what happens when you're a man vs a child.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Imagine that, hey?

Byfuglien, who openly admitted hating the fact that he wasn't going to be moved back to Defense before the start of the season, looks comfortable and good on Defense since being put back there.

It's almost like he enjoys playing that position because he knows that's his strength.

I hate Buff as a person, but he is such a great defenseman. Not sure why they put him up front..

A player like him is very helpful in the west especially on the blue line.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

If you are going to allow Granlund to play hockey in the NHL, you have to allow him some protection, beyond a 2 minute penalty, for being illegally "suspended" for a month, for simply playing hockey well.

He is gone for a month through no fault of his own...the fault is completely on Buff.

Buff made a mistake. Why should he not repeat it?

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Looks like a two armed clothsline.

There's a reason it's called a bodycheck and that sure as hell wasn't one.

This looks like a sweet move in WWE though.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
I'm livid about this and I'm not a massive fan of Buff....but I'm not sure if is suspension worthy unless it was completely intentional. The puck was just getting pushed into the offensive zone and he was trying to push Granlund off of it as much as he could. You can't penalize someone for being that big and using their body as leverage. This is nothing new for Granlund either. His first year in the league Hal Gill threw him around like a rag doll too.

Well said.

Sucks that a guy got hurt, but this is a minor penalty (which was called). One very huge and strong man essentially "pushing" a really small light guy...take note, stay out of Buff's area - he has been a beast this year

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
If you are going to allow Granlund to play hockey in the NHL, you have to allow him some protection, beyond a 2 minute penalty, for being illegally "suspended" for a month, for simply playing hockey well.

He is gone for a month through no fault of his own...the fault is completely on Buff.

Granlund is an adult, he can make his own choices whether or not to play professional hockey. Every player knows what they sign up for when they become a hockey player, the good and the bad.

Granlund is an undersized forward, he knows he can't back-down from the corners and get dirty if he wants to stay in the NHL. He also knows that because he is under-sized he has an increased chance of getting rocked, which he did in this case, and it unfortunately resulted in an injury.

What you are asking for is to punish on the result rather than the act itself, which is not how the discipline works in the NHL - but I confess I don't understand how discipline works in the NHL judging by the punishments handed out over the recent years.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
I think you have to hold someone responsible for illegal actions that lead directly and predictably to injury. Malice intended or not, it is a reckless play. I might just make it one game, but would make it clear "you can't do that"...otherwise the message is "Granlund, you can't play here".

If Buff did the same thing without the proximity to the boards, I would be more inclined to think it was not suspendable given the same injury and result, even though still illegal, as it would not be near as dangerous and more towards accidental.

I know this was not a concussion, but when the class action suit is in full gear, this clip can be used to show what the NHL considers a nonsuspendable 2 minute penalty...

Totally disagree. Hockey is a contact sport, far more egregious acts go on every game. If Granlund is too small, then he cant play here...not seeing the difference in the thousands of guys that cant play pro hockey, basketball, football, etc. because of size.

What on earth does this have to do with Class Action? Pretty big leap you are making there saying because a little guy flies in the air there is willful and gross negligence on an unrelated matter

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Doesn't deserve anything more than the 2 min interference penalty that was assessed.

Apparently some people have no clue what a "clothesline hit" is. Because that wasn't a clothesline in any way, shape or form.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Doesn't deserve anything more than the 2 min interference penalty that was assessed.

Apparently some people have no clue what a "clothesline hit" is. Because that wasn't a clothesline in any way, shape or form.

agree. I think you should add a WWE "clothesline" to the first post to show the clear difference between a clothesline and buffs arms to the chest hit.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
agree. I think you should add a WWE "clothesline" to the first post to show the clear difference between a clothesline and buffs arms to the chest hit.

A clothesline means you're using your arm as a stationary "bar" to knock a guy down at chest or throat level, using a combination of your own momentum and the other person's momentum coming towards you. That wasn't even close to what happened on that play.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
A clothesline means you're using your arm as a stationary "bar" to knock a guy down at chest or throat level, using a combination of your own momentum and the other person's momentum coming towards you. That wasn't even close to what happened on that play.

screen-shot-2010-10-04-at-1-28-52-pm.png

Analyzer*

Huge clothesline. Almost could have been reallly bad the way he landed on his neck.

You don't know what a clothesline is, do you ?

Byfuglien is a big, strong dude. Granlund is small and weak.

Just imagine if Byfuglien gets pissed and charges someone.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

well ya! He was in movement and pushed on the little guys chest. pretty straight forward and not a clothesline.

Joedaman55

Jun 7, 2014
Anchorage, AK

The player needs to adapt his style to the rules of the game, the game does not make special rules because of a player's attributes.

The above recommendation would set a prescedent on a player being hurt on a fluke injury from say a tripping call and the player commiting the tripping call would have to pay the month penalty (ridiculous).

Hockey is a physical sport and players need to adjust their play to avoid injuries. If you want to watch small players being protected I would recommend watching the NBA or NFL.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Buff gets away with quite a bit off borderline stuff. I don't think it's suspendable necessarily, but how Buff brings him down was certainly illegal. Given the fact he got injured on an illegal hit, i'd be ok with him getting a game or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad