Backstrom + Kuznetsov vs. Tavares + Matthews

Which duo is better?

• Total voters

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Neither Cap outscores his Leaf counterpart.

is there some rule where pace only matters for the Leaf player?

Backstrom had 9 more points than Matthews and Matthews had a higher PPG
Tavares had 1 more point than Kuznetsov and Kuznetsov had a higher PPG

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Before the playoffs, I would’ve said Matthews and Tavares, but the Washington duo get a bump for winning the latest cup.

Both great center duos. Both top 3 in the league. I’ll go with Washington just ahead of Toronto as of summer 2018.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Before the playoffs, I would’ve said Matthews and Tavares, but the Washington duo get a bump for winning the latest cup.

Both great center duos. Both top 3 in the league. I’ll go with Washington just ahead of Toronto as of summer 2018.

Matthews and Tavares ahead of both Crosby Malkin and McDavid Draisaitl is quite the hot take.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
This is easy.

Kuznetsov
Backstrom
Tavares
Matthews

Let Matthews hit 70pts before comparing him to the big boys. Tavares is also overrated.
anything is easy when you put no thought or effort into it. It took Kuznetsov until age 26 to have a scoring pace as good as Matthews' season last year. he's also never had a year as good as Tavares at his best

Reactions: Garthinater

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
anything is easy when you put no thought or effort into it. It took Kuznetsov until age 26 to have a scoring pace as good as Matthews' season last year. he's also never had a year as good as Tavares at his best

Who cares about age, it's asking who is better.

This isn't 2014. Tavares' best means nothing at this moment.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Who cares about age, it's asking who is better.

This isn't 2014. Tavares' best means nothing at this moment.
then how is Backstrom better than the Leafs players? Matthews had more 5v5 primary points than Backstrom had 5v5 total points, and he missed 20 games. He's miles better offensively and nearly as good defensively. Tavares is also clearly better than Kuznetsov, with slightly better offense and better defense

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
then how is Backstrom better than the Leafs players? Matthews had more 5v5 primary points than Backstrom had 5v5 total points, and he missed 20 games. He's miles better offensively and nearly as good defensively. Tavares is also clearly better than Kuznetsov, with slightly better offense and better defense

Seasons become less relevant the further back we go. Tavares hasn't been a top 10 scorer for 3 seasons now, whereas Backstrom was just the year before this. Also, Matthews rode ridiculous percentages 5v5 that he's not repeating. He's a better scorer than Backstrom 5v5, but not by as much as this season suggests. And while he's hindered by lack of PP time, that doesn't mean we can ignore the fact that Backstrom is one of the best PP QBs in the game. I think Matthews is better offensively, as he's the 2nd best in the league after McDavid at generating high danger chances, but he's not miles better.

Last edited:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Backstrom - 91
Matthews - 91
Tavares - 90
Kuznetsov - 89

If I was giving out ratings I would say the leafs only by about 1 point

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
This type of analysis is just tiring. Matthews was PPG this year but he is 20. Matthews is known for his defensive game. Yes he had an underwhelming 7 games after being pretty good against the caps as a rookie, but it feels like two seasons of play is totally ignored in favor or using a 7 game sample size while he was matched against the best defensive forward maybe ever and Chara.

Like I am not even going to argue that you are right but much better? It's just homerism after homerism. After making a big attempt the last few years to watch more games I am seeing more and more people who have no idea what they are talking about and go off of stat lines and buzz on here.

Matthews is good at defense, but his defensive game is getting overrated. He is not better defensively than Backstrom.

It doesn't matter if he was ppg this year. Backstrom is a shade under ppg in over 800games, ie - his career. Matthews has more potential, 100%. That being said, as of right now, he is not better.

Some of these posters saying Matthews and Tavares >> Kuznetsov and Backstrom are fools. That's just blind homerism.....

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This is asinine. Did assists stop mattering now? And let’s not act like Backstrom isn’t the best defensively of the group either.

I take the Leafs duo, but they are close. Very close.

Assists stopped mattering, defensive play is irrevant and the only years up for comparison are their rookie years.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad