Backstrom + Kuznetsov vs. Tavares + Matthews

Which duo is better?

• Total voters

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Exactly.

And I don’t know what stats that guy is using. Backy has a 30 goal season.

Matthew very well may be better when all is said and done. But that’s not yet. And he would have to be a point per game player for a decade and then some, to surpass Backstroms complete game.

Kuzy like Matthews is just hitting his straps. He is now comfortable in NA and it’s showing.

Right now it’s Caps.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Toronto is better

But then again I'm very high on Tavares. I have him as a top 5c.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Wow, it took only one cup for Backstrom to go from criminally underrated to criminally overrated.

Yeah, it's not like he's easily outscoring everyone else in this thread career wise.

Player A:
GP: 669
Goals: 272
Assists: 349

Player B:
GP: 815
Goals: 209
Assists: 590

Player B is leaps and bounds better defensively.

I think the long-term look at these players favors Backstrom even more than the short-term one.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
They're all kind of on the same tier IMO.

Of the bunch:

Tavares is an all around player, 2 time Hart Finalist
Backstrom may be the best defender, sick passer
Kuz is the best skater, amazing passer
Matthews is the best goal scorer but has yet to put together a full season
Except when Matthews scored the most goals out of all 4 in his rookie season.

Matthews>>>Backstrom
Tavares>>>Kuznetsov

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
Except when Matthews scored the most goals out of all 4 in his rookie season.

Matthews>>>Backstrom
Tavares>>>Kuznetsov

This is asinine. Did assists stop mattering now? And let’s not act like Backstrom isn’t the best defensively of the group either.

I take the Leafs duo, but they are close. Very close.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Right now, it's the caps, but in the future, probably the leafs since Matthews is only 20

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
This is asinine. Did assists stop mattering now? And let’s not act like Backstrom isn’t the best defensively of the group either.

I take the Leafs duo, but they are close. Very close.
Its almost as if there is some correlation between assists and playing with the best goal scorer to ever play the game...

Reactions: marty111

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Yeah, it's not like he's easily outscoring everyone else in this thread career wise.

Player A:
GP: 669
Goals: 272
Assists: 349

Player B:
GP: 815
Goals: 209
Assists: 590

Player B is leaps and bounds better defensively.

I think the long-term look at these players favors Backstrom even more than the short-term one.

I love Backstrom, but what does his career ppg have to do with how good he is now? His two best seasons point wise were 9/10 years ago. Also if we want to include ppg and look at the playoffs, JT has a better ppg than Backstrom. Career wise they have both been good players. I have always thought Backstrom was a bit underrated because of being overshadowed by OV, but the point remains that he has been lucky to play with OV (Yes, I know the few times OV was down with an injury Backstrom played great.... However, his career numbers are inflated because of OV).

Kuzy has had a very down and up career so far (on a season by season basis: ~40 then 80 then 60 then 80) and with the Leafs duo being younger, with a better ppg production last regular season, I take them moving forward.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I love Backstrom, but what does his career ppg have to do with how good he is now? His two best seasons point wise were 9/10 years ago. Also if we want to include ppg and look at the playoffs, JT has a better ppg than Backstrom. Career wise they have both been good players. I have always thought Backstrom was a bit underrated because of being overshadowed by OV, but the point remains that he has been lucky to play with OV (Yes, I know the few times OV was down with an injury Backstrom played great.... However, his career numbers are inflated because of OV).

Kuzy has had a very down and up career so far (on a season by season basis: ~40 then 80 then 60 then 80) and with the Leafs duo being younger, with a better ppg production last regular season, I take them moving forward.

Read the post that i quoted. It stated that Backstrom is only rated higher because of this Cup run when in reality he has been better career-wise too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad