Backstrom + Kuznetsov vs. Tavares + Matthews

Which duo is better?

• Total voters

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Read the post that i quoted. It stated that Backstrom is only rated higher because of this Cup run when in reality he has been better career-wise too.

That's fair, but I still wouldn't include career ppg, I would look at the past 5 or so years.

Backstrom (and all caps) definitely are getting a bump because of their cup run, but it's moreso that they shed the label of cup chokers instead of outperforming their career or past production.

My current belief is that the NHL pecking order for top 2 C's going into next year is the following (with movement throughout the year probably occurring):

Pens
Leafs
Caps
EDM

- The rest.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
All these elite players yet it was another first round exit

We faced other elite players who were also tougher and more experienced, both of which clearly showed and were the difference in the series. Don't worry though they will be in much better shape than Calgary when it comes to competing for Stanley Cups for the next 7 seasons.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I honestly don't see how Backstrom is better than Tavares or how Kuznetsov is better than Matthews, but it's still close.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Yeah, it's not like he's easily outscoring everyone else in this thread career wise.

Player A:
GP: 669
Goals: 272
Assists: 349

Player B:
GP: 815
Goals: 209
Assists: 590

Player B is leaps and bounds better defensively.

I think the long-term look at these players favors Backstrom even more than the short-term one.
Kind of a push defensively and player B had the greatest goal scorer of all time on his wing and player A had a series of guys who wouldn't make the Caps top 6.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Leafs duo very slightly.

Backstrom
Tavares/Matthews
Kuznetsov

All 4 are very close, but I see some separation.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Matthews better than Backstrom... just, no. He may one day be better than Backstrom and he's definitely a more dynamic skater than Backstrom but Backstrom has been PPG his career and is much better defensively than Matthews.

81 votes to 81 votes. Nice.

Reactions: dukeofjive

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
We faced other elite players who were also tougher and more experienced, both of which clearly showed and were the difference in the series. Don't worry though they will be in much better shape than Calgary when it comes to competing for Stanley Cups for the next 7 seasons.
Last time u guys won even 1 series Flames went to the finals. I dont think im gonna have to worry about u competing for stanley cups anytime soon :laugh:. Maybe competing for playoff spots and first round chokes?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'll take the pair that have already won a Cup.

They both went beast mode and over PPG in the playoffs. Meanwhile, Matthews goes ~0.5 PPG in two outings. 2 points in 7 games is egregious for a "first line centre", looooooool.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Leafs fans are the main ones who chirp the Jets for losing to a team who had the 5th best record.
I remember before the series they were saying bostons gonna be an easy win cause they beat them in the regular season :laugh:

Only Leafs can can lose in the first round than chirp a team who lost in the conference finals after beating Nashville

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I'll take the pair that have already won a Cup.

They both went beast mode and over PPG in the playoffs. Meanwhile, Matthews goes ~0.5 PPG in two outings. 2 points in 7 games is egregious for a "first line centre", looooooool.

2 points in a series is a disaster for a player like that.

Kuznetsov did that same thing earlier in his career though. Worse actually - 2 points in 12 games.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Kind of a push defensively and player B had the greatest goal scorer of all time on his wing and player A had a series of guys who wouldn't make the Caps top 6.

No it's not ''kind of a push''. Feel free to make a poll who is better defensively and see how many Tavares gets from neutral fans.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
That's fair, but I still wouldn't include career ppg, I would look at the past 5 or so years.

Backstrom (and all caps) definitely are getting a bump because of their cup run, but it's moreso that they shed the label of cup chokers instead of outperforming their career or past production.

My current belief is that the NHL pecking order for top 2 C's going into next year is the following (with movement throughout the year probably occurring):

Pens
Leafs
Caps
EDM

- The rest.

Of course, because it benefits your guy. Like i just said it's hardly correct to say Backstrom is only ahead of Tavares because of this Playoff run, when he is actually ahead of him looking through their entire careers. You can cherry pick certain amount of years to put that into Tavares favor but that won't change the fact that career-wise Backstrom is still ahead of him, which is the longer sample size. Sample size was the thing questioned here.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
No it's not ''kind of a push''. Feel free to make a poll who is better defensively and see how many Tavares gets from neutral fans.
I made a poll, also I'm not neutral

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
That u guys were saying is gonna be an easy win before the series. Funny seeing u guys back track now
Most leaf fans I saw predicted 6/7 games. Obviously there will be the ones that are overconfident but that's like any fan base. When you have a line of Pasta/Bergy/Marchand it's not gonna be an easy win.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Of course, because it benefits your guy. Like i just said it's hardly correct to say Backstrom is only ahead of Tavares because of this Playoff run, when he is actually ahead of him looking through their entire careers. You can cherry pick certain amount of years to put that into Tavares favor but that won't change the fact that career-wise Backstrom is still ahead of him, which is the longer sample size. Sample size was the thing questioned here.

Its not cherry picking by using the last 5 years or so.... Also, I never said Backstrom is not ahead of Tavares or vice versa.

Do you honestly think seasons from a decade ago are indicative to how good a player is today? C'mon now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad