Backstrom + Kuznetsov vs. Tavares + Matthews

Which duo is better?

• Total voters

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I agree that he had a good season and that the comments about him not breaking 70 points are deliberately misleading. I think he showed that he can go a PPG.
He’s one of a great group of young players who it will be fun to watch over the next few years to see how they compare to each other.

Agreed

NHL is in a great place

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I don't get why a 69 pt player is regarded so highly. I'll wait until he actually lives up to his hype.
Because he did it while scoring 40 goals as a draft+1 player then put up a 45 goal, 84 point pace as a sophomore in more than 3/4 of a season. He will be the best of the 4 this season and will be the best by a good margin after that.

Lollipop

Jul 23, 2013
Easy. Backstrom and Kuznetsov are better.

Lol @ all NA fans voting for Tavares/Matthews.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah, get 10 cracks at the can and great players will eventually win. It’s easy for a player in his prime with 10 or 12 cracks at the can to have a better playoff performance than a rookie/sophomore with 2 cracks at the can.

By year 10, Matthews will have a much better playoff record than any of the Capitals.

:eyeroll:

:facepalm:

(if we want to project fantasy, we can all do that.....as Matthews will be playing for the Coyotes by then)

Mar 26, 2010
So what does a third line center have to do with anything?
He is just showing that Toronto is stronger in that particular department that is being discussed in the thread. Also, no competiton.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This thread is about C depth!

You just don’t like the facts, because it tips the scale in Toronto’s favour massively!

This thread is clearly about Backstrom+Kuznetsov versus Matthews+Tavares. The only people who are making it about anyone other than those four players are Leaf fans.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
This thread is about C depth!

You just don’t like the facts, because it tips the scale in Toronto’s favour massively!
No it is about 2 players vs 2 players. Seems like you cant read.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Lets see. Injured Matthews again and Tavares from 16-17 and its an easy Caps win. Backs and Kuz score 48 goals between them and the Leaf boys score 90 and its a Leafs blowout. Interesting comparison. Backstrom can duplicate his recent 86 point season I think, and Kuznetsov could maybe improve on 83pts a little bit. Assuming everything goes right, JT could improve a bit on 84pts but certainly no guarantee as he may take a cut in TOI and the vast majority of forwards have shown their best by 27. The change in teams could be a plus or a minus for him. I think it comes down to a healthy Matthews or not, and Matthews, if healthy,seems much more likely to lead these four in scoring than Backstrom. There is a real chance that both duos could be close to 170pts in scoring, and then you start arguing primary points vs secondary points, points per 60, and who has a better 200ft game. I have no interest in that comparison until next season has actually happened.

Its pretty common that the defending champs become even more difficult to play against because of the confidence boost even their foot soldiers acquire. Individual stats aside this Caps team should have way over 105pts next season. Very good chance to repeat IMO, if Holtby maintains his A game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad