Backstrom + Kuznetsov vs. Tavares + Matthews

Which duo is better?

• Total voters

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
They're all kind of on the same tier IMO.

Of the bunch:

Tavares is an all around player, 2 time Hart Finalist
Backstrom may be the best defender, sick passer
Kuz is the best skater, amazing passer
Matthews is the best goal scorer but has yet to put together a full season

Matthews played all 82 games in his rookie season?

Anyways, they are very close right now. But the Leafs two centers are much younger and Matthews has by far the most room to continue to grow and get better out of the four. If Matthews takes another step forward as players who go from year 2 to year 3 tend to do. The Leafs, if not, flip a coin.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Matthews better than Backstrom... just, no. He may one day be better than Backstrom and he's definitely a more dynamic skater than Backstrom but Backstrom has been PPG his career and is much better defensively than Matthews.

81 votes to 81 votes. Nice.

This type of analysis is just tiring. Matthews was PPG this year but he is 20. Matthews is known for his defensive game. Yes he had an underwhelming 7 games after being pretty good against the caps as a rookie, but it feels like two seasons of play is totally ignored in favor or using a 7 game sample size while he was matched against the best defensive forward maybe ever and Chara.

Like I am not even going to argue that you are right but much better? It's just homerism after homerism. After making a big attempt the last few years to watch more games I am seeing more and more people who have no idea what they are talking about and go off of stat lines and buzz on here.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
This type of analysis is just tiring. Matthews was PPG this year but he is 20. Matthews is known for his defensive game. Yes he had an underwhelming 7 games after being pretty good against the caps as a rookie, but it feels like two seasons of play is totally ignored in favor or using a 7 game sample size while he was matched against the best defensive forward maybe ever and Chara.

Like I am not even going to argue that you are right but much better? It's just homerism after homerism. After making a big attempt the last few years to watch more games I am seeing more and more people who have no idea what they are talking about and go off of stat lines and buzz on here.

What type of analysis is tiring? Backstrom has been one of the best defensive forwards and two-way centers in the league for the past decade and as you said, Matthews is 20. I said Matthews may develop into a better player than Backstrom but NB is a better all-around player than AM right now.

I'm not hating on AM -- I like him a lot as a player and think he's going to be a superstar -- but I don't think he's done anything to merit being labeled as "better" than Nick Backstrom as of this moment.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What type of analysis is tiring? Backstrom has been one of the best defensive forwards and two-way centers in the league for the past decade and as you said, Matthews is 20. I said Matthews may develop into a better player than Backstrom but NB is a better all-around player than AM right now.

I'm not hating on AM -- I like him a lot as a player and think he's going to be a superstar -- but I don't think he's done anything to merit being labeled as "better" than Nick Backstrom as of this moment.

Just people throwing out statements like that as facts lately despite there being some arguments that show it is very close indeed. "They are WAY better AINEC!!" is common I get it. It just gets tiring. Matthews is right up there with him. The reason he is so impressive is the FACT he is right there with him but is 20. When he is 25 where will he be?

And it is not meant just to you, but in general. "Leafs defense is trash" yet when it's brought up they allowed less goals than Tampa and only a few less than Vegas it's ignored. Just general BS like that. I think it's just offseason fatigue. Nothing to do so people just make drama in threads. Might be time for a break for me.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Just people throwing out statements like that as facts lately despite there being some arguments that show it is very close indeed. "They are WAY better AINEC!!" is common I get it. It just gets tiring. Matthews is right up there with him. The reason he is so impressive is the FACT he is right there with him but is 20. When he is 25 where will he be?

And it is not meant just to you, but in general. "Leafs defense is trash" yet when it's brought up they allowed less goals than Tampa and only a few less than Vegas it's ignored. Just general BS like that. I think it's just offseason fatigue. Nothing to do so people just make drama in threads. Might be time for a break for me.

Not to mention those guys play with Ovechkin and he still performed as well if not better than either of them.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You don't believe that Leafs fans overrate Matthews...?

Some of them do, every fanbase has fans that overrate their players. Saying he is better than Backstrom or Kuznetsov is not overrating him. Saying he is a whole tier above them would be, although maybe not for long.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He just scored at a far better pace than Backstrom and the same as Kuznetsov in his second season and he's better than both defensively and a far better goal scorer. He also did it with far less powerplay time. Whatever you say lol.

Matthews is better defensively than Backstrom?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad