Waived: Alzner on waivers at noon

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If only Edmonton had the cap space. Chia would be on the phone as I speak.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Burke had Morgan Rielly ranked #1 in the 2012 draft. He was 100% right on that one. :)

Bergevin actually also wanted Rielly with the Habs' pick. Ended up picking Galchenyuk who was Timmins' guy. So if Burke was a good GM, then I guess MB is too;)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Most Caps fans remember this from 2017, I wonder why the Habs didn't do a quick internet search. ;)

“Sometimes where you get hit right in the hand, we have gloves on, but they only protect you a little bit,” Alzner continued. “You get them right in the hand, it’s pretty easy to break something. It’s kind of embarrassing, but my wife (Mandy) is the one who opens up all the jars in our house because my hands have been broken so many times from the shots. I’ve got pretty weak hands now.”

After a hockey career full of blocked shots, Karl Alzner can no longer open jars

Capitals fans weren't glad to lose him, he was a good guy and was so awesome with the fans, but anyone who's watched a few games knew he was shot.

I really don't think being a GM in the NHL is super hard when I see people here who know bad deals immediately when they see them (Alzner, Lucic, etc.) but "hockey people" that don't.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Oh man, the guys who can't skate and are 'stay-at-home' because they don't contribute offensively and handle the puck like grenades in their own zone are the Dodo.

The modern 'stay-at-home' defenceman is still able to skate and complete solid outlet passes. The guy who can barely move around, and who exits the zone by blasting it up the boards; that time is gone.

No disagreement here.

I was pointing out that you see less and less of the stay at home types. Even those that have more of that tendency tend to get involved a little more offensively these days.

But I'm definitely not defending Alzner, if that's what you're thinking.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
This is kind of like that old saying "ya, i'm fat....but you're ugly and i can lose weight". Yes Burke was a terrible GM....but the Leafs fired him and the Habs still employ Bergevin.:nod:

They did and good for you guys. My post was more about every GM makes mistakes and dumb move. Alzner wasn’t a great signing but neither was Zaitsev. MB deserve all the shit he’s getting for Alzner but that doesn’t mean he’s a terrible GM.

I mean, shit, everybody is in love with Poile and look at his latest moves:

1st, 4th vs Hartman (10 pts in 24 games)
Girard, Kemenev 2nd vs Turris (16 pts in 24 games)
Subban va Weber
Jones vs Johansen

I mean, it’s not exactly what you’d call huge wins, right? 3 of them I’d consider huge loss and the other one a slight win yet many consider him the best GM right now.

Dubas hasn’t made any moves yet so we’ll in due time if he’s able to bring that team to another level. Time will tell I guess

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
What's the deal with Alzner? Is he bad for his cap hit or just bad?

If he was any good he would be playing over Ouellet/Schlemko/Benn. Not that he's necessarily worse but we needed to clear a dman because Weber is coming back and his contract is surely going unclaimed so it made the most sense. But I will tell you he's nothing but a #6 pylon at best.

Reactions: Sideline

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's odd, because his game against Boston was, by FAAAAARRRR, his best this season.

He's completely done. He probably has the worst puck skills in the entire league at this point, probably due to the injuries he suffered. Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up on LTIR for the reminder of his deal.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No disagreement here.

I was pointing out that you see less and less of the stay at home types. Even those that have more of that tendency tend to get involved a little more offensively these days.

But I'm definitely not defending Alzner, if that's what you're thinking.

Oh no, not at all. Just adding to your thoughts.
We're definitely on the same page Omega man.

I think the way we're built now, the modern 'stay-at-home' picks up points, because the outlet is smoother, the game is faster. Like, even a guy like Vlasic who is a modern shut down player; is getting like 30-40 points a season, where in his first near-decade in the league, he hit those numbers once.

Could you imagine a guy like Hal Gill if he was breaking into the league this year. The guy would be negative infinity in terms of GF%, shots, CF...

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Alzner is done, a user above posted last years article about him not being able to open jars anymore.
He played all 82 games in 7 out of 10 NHL season, a warrior who got destroyed physically by blocking shots.
Guess he's a LTIR candidate, wouldn't want to experience the pain in his hands now that he's getting older.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Oh no, not at all. Just adding to your thoughts.
We're definitely on the same page Omega man.

Love it. Psyched for WK or what? Gonna be a ridiculous card.

I think the way we're built now, the modern 'stay-at-home' picks up points, because the outlet is smoother, the game is faster. Like, even a guy like Vlasic who is a modern shut down player; is getting like 30-40 points a season, where in his first near-decade in the league, he hit those numbers once.

I completely agree. Even Manson had 37 last year, which is really good for someone who is considered as more of stay-at-home type than a Fowler (offensive) or a Lindholm (two-way), just for teammate perspective.

You definitely hit that one right on the head of the nail.

Could you imagine a guy like Hal Gill if he was breaking into the league this year. The guy would be negative infinity in terms of GF%, shots, CF...

Hahaha. Putrid. Derian Hatcher, Mike Rathje, Marcus Ragnarsson, Richard Matvichuk, Brendan Witt, Dave Karpa, Igor Ulanov, Sylvain Lefevbre, Ken Klee, Joe Reekie... I mean I could go on and on with classic puck-whackers that would just get the damn thing out of the zone like a hot potato.

Although Matvichuk wasn't as bad as some of the others and had guys like Zubov and Sydor to move the puck for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad