Waived: Alzner on waivers at noon

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm not sure I agree with that, he's a useful 6-7-8 D-man. Montreal has a lot of cheaper/younger guys in that role though.

Every team has. There's one Kulak, Pateryn or Lernout in every team. And those guys can play Alzner role and maybe eventually improve to become more like Beauchemin back in the days.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Pretty sure nobody but Bergevin and Alzners camp liked that deal when it was signed. Just a horrible signing all around .

Reactions: HabsQC

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Bergevin has turned it around (yes he's still made some terrible moves, that is undeniable) and this is the proper move... what
I don't believe he should be fired for putting Alzner on waivers. What I am saying is its a sign of the terrible deal Bergevin made in the first place when he signed Alzner (one of many). Hextall wasn't perfect but how he gets fired and yet guys like Bergevin and Chia still have jobs is beyond me.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Bergevin has turned it around (yes he's still made some terrible moves, that is undeniable) and this is the proper move... what

I wouldn't claim a tournaround so quickly Habs are reverting back to mediocre hockey and are still missing key pieces (that you usually only acquire by drafting) . He gave that contract to Alzner in the first place , we aren't going to kiss his feet for attempting to fix his own mistake...

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Edmonton can't afford him, and in this scenario, I'm kind of glad that Lucic can't be traded for him - as bad as Lucic is, I'd rather keep him than move him for Alzner.
...and Habs fans would rather bury Alzner in the AHL than take on Lucic's contract. So a trade would be a lose/lose for both sides.

Reactions: sheed36

Grabner

Feb 22, 2018
I remember posting in a buyout thread about Karl Alzner
Poor guy...
upload_2018-11-26_12-56-55.png

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
I don't believe he should be fired for putting Alzner on waivers. What I am saying is its a sign of the terrible deal Bergevin made in the first place when he signed Alzner (one of many). Hextall wasn't perfect but how he gets fired and yet guys like Bergevin and Chia still have jobs is beyond me.
Ah fair enough, just was kind of thrown off by the wording but that's very reasonable... I think most people could agree as soon as the Alzner signing was announced that it was a terrible deal, I'm just glad Bergevin at least can accept he screwed up and is trying to fix it I feel like he's showing that he's at least learning int hat respect. The Hextall firing took me by surprise, I agree that there's for sure other GM's that deserved a firing before him.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Ah fair enough, just was kind of thrown off by the wording but that's very reasonable... I think most people could agree as soon as the Alzner signing was announced that it was a terrible deal, I'm just glad Bergevin at least can accept he screwed up and is trying to fix it I feel like he's showing that he's at least learning int hat respect. The Hextall firing took me by surprise, I agree that there's for sure other GM's that deserved a firing before him.

Sorry. I didn't realize how unclear my OP was until I reread it lol.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Alzner signed his contract, he should honour it. Its not up to Montreal at all to buy him out if it doesn't make sense for their cap planning.

And every AHL team in the league has veterans. Who cares what they're paid there. If anything, Laval could use a vet on their D for development purposes, since they don't have one.

He probably would love to honour his contract but the Habs have other ideas it looks like. It's not Alzner's fault that MB made a mistake and signed him for too long and for too much money.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
I wouldn't claim a tournaround so quickly Habs are reverting back to mediocre hockey and are still missing key pieces (that you usually only acquire by drafting) . He gave that contract to Alzner in the first place , we aren't going to kiss his feet for attempting to fix his own mistake...
Sorry I should clarify I don't mean that he turned this hockey team around and we're ready to go for the cup... I personally still think our odds of missing the playoffs are greater then actually making them as theirs a lot of uncertainty in the team. When I say he's turned it around I mean it in the sense that he's at least learning and it looks like he's got a good idea of where he'd like to take this team. He's showing us that perhaps he's turned it around and is okay with looking towards the future. I don't think we should "kiss his feet" for this move but the MB of old may not have made this move... some signs on improvement are promising.

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
I seriously doubt there was any Habs fan that liked that signing from the get go everyone knew he was awful. Another mistake from an awful GM.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He probably would love to honour his contract but the Habs have other ideas it looks like. It's not Alzner's fault that MB made a mistake and signed him for too long and for too much money.

He doesn't have a NMC. Montreal has no requirement to keep him on the NHL roster. He's far from the first big money D-man to spend time in the AHL. Its a part of the business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad