Waived: Alzner on waivers at noon

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
While Markov looks done, it would have been preferable to sign Markov for one or two years at his ask. Bergevin crapped the bed on that. Better a one or two year mistake than a 5 year one.

That said, He matched the offer Dallas made to Radulov. Radulov wanted much more from the Habs. How high did people want Bergevin to go?
I’m happy Markov was gone and wasn’t resigned, even if it was for only a year.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Could have seen this coming a mile away. I remember when he hit UFA status, he was my main focus on the typical July 1st browser refresh frenzy. Not because I want him on the Leafs, but because I was just wanted him to sign anywhere else but TO.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'm not happy at all.

Markov has been a constant and valuable piece of our team for the past decade and 10 games short of 1000 all with the habs and we treated him like a old washed up player. Disrespectful.

Reactions: Hardworker33

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
What's the deal with Alzner? Is he bad for his cap hit or just bad?

Injuries, especially his wrist. Pretty much killed his shooting, passing, and poke checking ability. He was already pretty slow in his prime and the game has gotten a lot faster. The guy just had some really crap luck.

Reactions: Sideline

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Since he cleared waivers, indicating that no organization has interest, can MTL fans stop forcing Alzner on the rest of us?

Thanks.

Habs fans know Alzner has negative value and have known that ever since the first game he played under that contract. It's a brutal contract but I'm not sure why it's so harmful to offer him if the other team gets a good incentive (assets or getting rid of another cap dump in return).

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

But do you prefer Alzner (and his deal)??
We wouldn't have signed both. Give me Markov for 2 years before Alzner for 2-3-4-5 years, even if it's for 1M more on the cap... in fact, considering the way it went with Alzner and him being on waivers now, just give me any player at 2 years for 5.5-6M over anyone at 5 years 4.6M... it's just cheaper to buyout lol

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Sort of feel bad for Karl. He was a true warrior that got eaten by the injuries. Suffered all those years of almost good enough in Washington to miss out the cup train by one year.

Good for him to catch the dollars at the final minute though. It was clear as day he was on a fast decline when hitting UFA.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Did Caps offer him a deal at all last year? Curious if he was offered even a small, short deal... Of course, we don't even know he would have had a ring if he had taken it. ;)

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Habs fans know Alzner has negative value and have known that ever since the first game he played under that contract. It's a brutal contract but I'm not sure why it's so harmful to offer him if the other team gets a good incentive (assets or getting rid of another cap dump in return).

Nikita Scherbak is not a good incentive. And that was the most common sweetener.

But, whatever. Alzner's in Laval now.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
But do you prefer Alzner (and his deal)??
We wouldn't have signed both. Give me Markov for 2 years before Alzner for 2-3-4-5 years, even if it's for 1M more on the cap... in fact, considering the way it went with Alzner and him being on waivers now, just give me any player at 2 years for 5.5-6M over anyone at 5 years 4.6M... it's just cheaper to buyout lol
The fact that I’m happy Markov was gone has nothing to do with Alzner.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
He was an old washed up player...
Based on what? His age? Certainly not his production and his impact on the ice.

He won the gagarin cup last year in the KHL and he had 36 points in 62 games the year prior his departure from the habs. How in hell (knowing the habs sucked ass last year) could you even claim that re-signing Markov on a 1 year deal would have been such a bad move? That's just absurd.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Based on what? His age? Certainly not his production and his impact on the ice.

He won the gagarin cup last year in the KHL and he had 36 points in 62 games the year prior his departure from the habs. How in hell (knowing the habs sucked ass last year) could you even claim that re-signing Markov on a 1 year deal would have been such a bad move? That's just absurd.
I think he was washed up based on his speed. KHL doesn’t mean anything. It was time to move on and rebuild. Keeping him a year would have, at best, gave the Habs a little better season preventing the Kotka pick.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
The fact that I’m happy Markov was gone has nothing to do with Alzner.
Technically no, but it did (imo). Anyway, I get what you are saying. But, signing a vet who's played 10+ years for your team to a short term deal is not the end of the world if it doesn't work... see Plekanec this year. I wasn't really happy about the signing, but it was short term and it has already been dealt with 2 months into the season.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I think he was washed up based on his speed. KHL doesn’t mean anything. It was time to move on and rebuild. Keeping him a year would have, at best, gave the Habs a little better season preventing the Kotka pick.
You can play it both ways tho... is he a washed up vet or he would've be good enough to prevent the Kotka pick?%

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Holy ****! So many positive responses. Wow.
I only read the first page, but it was 50/50.
Most caps fan knew it was bad. Habs fans were either curious to learn more about Alzner or didn't like it.

I wasn't happy. Probably the worst FA summer out of any teams from the last 5 years!!!

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
You can play it both ways tho... is he a washed up vet or he would've be good enough to prevent the Kotka pick?%
I said I think it was time to move on from him. But, the best scenario for people pulling for him to get a 1 year deal would equal to have the Habs miss the playoffs and also miss the Kotkaniemi pick.

Btw, I was also against the Pleks signing, and we saw how useless that was.

IMO, it is better to move on a keep a good memory.

Reactions: jfhabs

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Yikes I've never seen the word "SOLID" used more times for a description for a player its kinda of scary how many people predicted how awful he would be but most people tuned it out lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad