OT: Ottawa food thread!

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
The best burger I had in the city was at BFF and the worst burger I had in the city was at BFF. Do with that information what you will.

It wasn't my favourite (got it take out instead of eating at the restaurant) but basically everyone I know swears by Chez Lucien.
They have a BFF in Toronto now - I'll try - I suppose a lot depends on the franchisee, hence the variability in burger quality.

Who makes Burgers better than Five Guys in this city?

Works aint it.
King Eddy is alright.
Manhattans is alright.
BFF is pretty good.
Burger Priest is shit.
The original Burger's Priest in Leslieville is still a damn delight. The franchises really wrecked it in some locations imo

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
My favourite burger place was Prime Burger Bar on Baseline and Fisher. At 10pm they had $10 burgers and half price apps. Not sure if it was cheap and/or delicious, but always was a good time to go there

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
You guys put me in a burger mood, so my wife and I went ahead and tried Umbrella Burger on Preston. We went with a single burger and the mac&cheese (and we split both), and we both agreed that we could have had that whole burger each instead of the mac. The mac was good but nothing exceptional. The burger tasted really good, with a nice "burger sauce". The curly fries were pretty good too! We have lots of leftover mac&cheese for tomorrow now, a very good thing!

BringBackTheRats

Mar 13, 2012
Albany, NY
Hey Sens board! My friends and I are coming up this weekend to hang out for Winterlude and just have some fun around the city. We've come to terms with the canal probably not opening, but what can ya do :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I was wondering if anyone has any bar recommendations for catching Devils games. We're staying around the ByWard market area. I figure there's no dedicated Devils bar in Ottawa, but maybe there are some good neutral sports bars?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Not the specific thread but I am sure they have food there.

Bluesfest lineup is out. Foo Fighters on July 12th!

Reactions: bicboi64

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
My list, take notes:

Pizza all kinds, no particular order:

Big Rig (Montreal style)
Colonade OG on Metcalfe
Robertos on Preston
Lorenzo's on Carling accross from Cineplex
Tennesey Willems

Taco's:

Si Senors (Rideau, Preston and foodtruck on Scott street) - authentic mex
El Camino
Bowmans' (Carling across from the Royal Ottawa Hospital)

Nacho's

Bowman's
The Third on Richmond Road
Greenfield Public House (worth the trip)

Poutine:

La Pataterie Hulloise (my photo)
Elgin Street Diner
S&G Fries
Vilains Garcons (Hull restaurant and foodtruck)

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
But do you drink coffee?
Indeed I do. Regular old coffee. I don't really care for any of the fancy shit. Cappuccino. Espresso. Latte. No thanks. Just coffee please.

I'm the same way with beer. These craft guys are getting out of control. Blueberry beer. Citrus beer. Overly hopped IPAs. No. I like beery beer. Euro imports all the way for me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Indeed I do. Regular old coffee. I don't really care for any of the fancy shit. Cappuccino. Espresso. Latte. No thanks. Just coffee please.

I'm the same way with beer. These craft guys are getting out of control. Blueberry beer. Citrus beer. Overly hopped IPAs. No. I like beery beer. Euro imports all the way for me.
I mostly use my machine for straight up regular coffee about 99% of the time, world of difference in the quality between it and the Keurig junk, and the convenience can't be matched if a one touch cup poured within seconds,

As for Beer, I agree with about the overly hoppy and citrus stuff, my go to lately is Guinness or Innes & Gunn if I want something a bit different.

To bring this a bit more on topic, I suspect Chychrun had to have a few expressos before the game after taking the RedEye into town, and hope the boys didn't celebrate too hard with the brews after the win, Brass earned that fancy watch even if I personally don't understand the appeal.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
We change it up from time to time, right now though it's got Costco house brand expresso beans in it, lol.
I have a Saeco to go along with a Keurig, and I find my favourite bean which makes the best crema is the Lavazza Super Bar, or Gran Crema, the blue Lavazza bag. I’ve had machines for decades and that is a great bean with little bitterness. Costco beans are probably Lavazza anyways! Farmer’s Pick at Hog’s Back has a great selection of espresso

My dad raised me on Molson Ex. Haven’t had one in ages until a few weeks ago. Quite good!

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I mostly use my machine for straight up regular coffee about 99% of the time, world of difference in the quality between it and the Keurig junk, and the convenience can't be matched if a one touch cup poured within seconds,

As for Beer, I agree with about the overly hoppy and citrus stuff, my go to lately is Guinness or Innes & Gunn if I want something a bit different.

To bring this a bit more on topic, I suspect Chychrun had to have a few expressos before the game after taking the RedEye into town, and hope the boys didn't celebrate too hard with the brews after the win, Brass earned that fancy watch even if I personally don't understand the appeal.
Seriously where do I get your machine or one comparable to it?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Why do you think espresso is fancy lol?

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have a Saeco to go along with a Keurig, and I find my favourite bean which makes the best crema is the Lavazza Super Bar, or Gran Crema, the blue Lavazza bag. I’ve had machines for decades and that is a great bean with little bitterness. Costco beans are probably Lavazza anyways! Farmer’s Pick at Hog’s Back has a great selection of espresso
I think the Costco beans are listed as roasted by Starbucks actually, but they do give a good crema so for a default bean I can't really beat the convenience/price point value proposition of grabbing them with the groceries while still getting what consider a pretty darn good cup of coffee.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Seriously where do I get your machine or one comparable to it?
Jura's are pretty easy to find around, you're in the Toronto area if I remember so I can't recommend a specific spot but there's a distributor there for sure.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Mother Parkers ,for me..As a long haul trucker I have had too many bad cups of coffee.A second would Pilot house with their machine...Just easy mellow straight up coffee

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
What kind of coffee do you drink? Filter or espresso?
Regular coffee though I like the option of being able to make espressos & cappuccinos. Right now I'm just drinking nespresso pods. Before that I was using a French press mainly. I really like the functionality and convince of the machine mickle posted and I'd really like to up my game in the coffee department.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I don't understand why these crafty guys spoil good beer by putting putrid flavours in it. Same for the coffee guys who put flavours in coffee.

Reactions: WallyD and JD1

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I don't understand why these crafty guys spoil good beer by putting putrid flavours in it. Same for the coffee guys who put flavours in coffee.
Ya when I order a beer I want beer that tastes like beer and makes me feel like a god after a couple pints.

Reactions: WallyD and Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Regular coffee though I like the option of being able to make espressos & cappuccinos. Right now I'm just drinking nespresso pods. Before that I was using a French press mainly. I really like the functionality and convince of the machine mickle posted and I'd really like to up my game in the coffee department.
I've been very happy with the Jura E6, my in-laws have the model up E8 which adds some extra options that I never use, there's a hospitality center (I assume that means show room) in Mississauga if that helps, but you won't see any competing super automatic brands like Saeco or Delonghi there.

We ordered ours online but knew the machine since the in-laws already had one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad