OT: Ottawa food thread!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I stopped at that Taco wagon yesterday only because I'd been reading this thread. I had the jerk chicken and it was the bast damn taco I've ever eaten. I'll be a regular for sure.
They surely beat the chains. They are much lighter and easier on the stomach than eating a big burger and fries or poutine. :)

My A1C score will be better because of that!

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Hey guys, friendly visitor here.

We’re a group of 7 guys coming down for next week’s game against VAN.

What is the best place to go eat pre game near CTC?

Thanks a lot.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
Hey guys, friendly visitor here.

We’re a group of 7 guys coming down for next week’s game against VAN.

What is the best place to go eat pre game near CTC?

Thanks a lot.
Depends on the cuisine you are looking for. Lots of chain restaurants (Moxies, Baton Rouge, Milestones, Jack Astors, etc) at the Centrum (a few mins drive from CTC).

There's a really great italian restaurant called Cabotto's in an old stone house about 5 mins drive from CTC. I recommend this place if you are fans of italian food.

There's NExT restaurant in Stittsville, about an 8 mins drive from CTC.

There aren't many unique dining options near the arena. You'd have to be closer to downtown for that.

Reactions: DrEasy and GREMLIN

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
Friends
I went to Paninaro 642 Somerset W
Back of a coffee shop
Florence style (All'antico Vinaio style) panini
They are excellent 10/10
Panino.jpeg

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Hi Sens fans. Rangers fan coming in peace (it's so 1990s message boards to use this saying lol).

I'll be in Ottawa for work in January and wanted to know some cuisines. I'll read through the threads here and research.

The reason I'm asking/adding is more along the lines of "what is your initial instinctual reaction to a question such as this?" I'm looking for anything Ma and Pa or unique to downtown Ottawa and also the arena.

I'm not a food snob at all and not one who compares NY to everything (I have plenty of wonderful food stories from Calgary-Edmonton-Winnipeg-Toronto and even Banff). If you say "there's this great pizzeria downtown" all the better.

Cheers and to those who work with American companies or offices, as we like to say to our northern friends "the greatest gift we can give you is to return the favor from last month, and let this short week be quiet and/or productive while we gorge on turkey".

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Hi Sens fans. Rangers fan coming in peace (it's so 1990s message boards to use this saying lol).

I'll be in Ottawa for work in January and wanted to know some cuisines. I'll read through the threads here and research.

The reason I'm asking/adding is more along the lines of "what is your initial instinctual reaction to a question such as this?" I'm looking for anything Ma and Pa or unique to downtown Ottawa and also the arena.

I'm not a food snob at all and not one who compares NY to everything (I have plenty of wonderful food stories from Calgary-Edmonton-Winnipeg-Toronto and even Banff). If you say "there's this great pizzeria downtown" all the better.

Cheers and to those who work with American companies or offices, as we like to say to our northern friends "the greatest gift we can give you is to return the favor from last month, and let this short week be quiet and/or productive while we gorge on turkey".

Directly addressing: "there's this great pizzeria downtown",

Home - Colonnade Pizza (and specifically, the original downtown location on Metcalfe St).

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Hey Roo, great places on Elgin, and Colonnade is a great pizza, a traditional pizza. If you like thin crust, something that compares to Angelo's on 57th or John's on Bleeker, I recommend Giulia.

Riviera on Elgin, Datsun , and El Camino are all great foodie choices.

For Italian, tough to beat Giovanni's. Near the arena there is a place called Cabotto's.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I went to Harmons Steakhouse on Elgin, pretty darn good Tomahawk steak. We also tried the 18oz wagyu ribeye. Very tasty. Loved their brussel sprouts.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
La Porto A Casa has re-opened in Barrhaven. Nice to see a family run business shut down due to COVID return.

The food is excellent. They are in the same strip mall, unfortunately they have less dining room space. Portions seem to be the same, but with inflation, prices have risen slightly.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
Hey Roo, great places on Elgin, and Colonnade is a great pizza, a traditional pizza. If you like thin crust, something that compares to Angelo's on 57th or John's on Bleeker, I recommend Giulia.

Riviera on Elgin, Datsun , and El Camino are all great foodie choices.

For Italian, tough to beat Giovanni's. Near the arena there is a place called Cabotto's.
another vote for Datsun - I love that place

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
I went to Harmons Steakhouse on Elgin, pretty darn good Tomahawk steak. We also tried the 18oz wagyu ribeye. Very tasty. Loved their brussel sprouts.
Assuming you left the Ferrari in the garage for this trip? ;)

Been to Harmon's a few times, for me, cost to quality/what you get just isn't worth it. Service is great, but wasn't wow'ed by the steaks. I much prefer going to Mati on Preston or even Shore Club or Al's Steakhouse, better steaks all around for my taste.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013

Been to Harmon's a few times, for me, cost to quality/what you get just isn't worth it. Service is great, but wasn't wow'ed by the steaks. I much prefer going to Mati on Preston or even Shore Club or Al's Steakhouse, better steaks all around for my taste.
Haha yes, cars are parked, though the weather let me keep them on the road a little longer this year.
I have to agree, Harmons was really good, but I have had better at both places you mentioned. And at Shore they have valet parking!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I have been to the Shore Club at the Westin Hotel many times for private dinners. Never disappointed. Great food and service.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Did you try the FatBoy burgers at Juno's Juniors in Winnipeg? Chiliburgers they be! One of the best burgers I have ever had.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I did not. Next time!
Wear a bib! They drip like crazy! :)

I went to University with the daughter of the couple who started the original Junior's restaurant that was located across from the railway station in downtown Winnipeg. I don't think that location still exists but there are several restaurants around the town.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I need to give a shout-out to Big Bone BBQ, on Eagleson Rd, not far from CTC.

So far their poutine, both smoked and fried wing options and pulled pork have been very good. Their fries alone are fantastic. Reasonable pricing and friendly staff, to cap it off.

They don't advertise it (I told them they should) but they are nut free and as my son has a severe allergy, when I found this place a few weeks ago before a game, we had to go again on Tuesday before the Jackets game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad