OT: Ottawa food thread!

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I think the Costco beans are listed as roasted by Starbucks actually, but they do give a good crema so for a default bean I can't really beat the convenience/price point value proposition of grabbing them with the groceries while still getting what consider a pretty darn good cup of coffee.

Coffee is meant to be brewed from fresh roasted beans. Who knows how long it takes for those rebadged Starbucks beans to hit Costco shelves?

I tend to go with Equator from Almonte and Social from Richmond Hill for my beans, although I'll try different roasters like Little Victories, Pilot or Happy Goat. Have a Rancilio Silvia espresso machine with a Macap grinder.

Assen na yo!

Reactions: WallyD

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ya when I order a beer I want beer that tastes like beer and makes me feel like a god after a couple pints.
When I was attending university one of my friends used to host card games in his basement. We drank his father's beer, White Seal, as the price was right. That was a horrible beer.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Regular coffee though I like the option of being able to make espressos & cappuccinos. Right now I'm just drinking nespresso pods. Before that I was using a French press mainly. I really like the functionality and convince of the machine mickle posted and I'd really like to up my game in the coffee department.
Honestly, you probably don’t need a $2k super automatic. You’d be better off with a modest Breville and investing in a really good grinder, which all said is what really impacts the quality of the cup. Especially if what you mainly drink is filter coffee, you’re better off with a midrange grinder like a Eureka Specialita and a relatively starter espresso maker while you learn the ins and outs of that style of coffee. Super automatics don’t give you a ton of flexibility on dialing in grinds, texturing foam or brew temps. Just my 2 cents. If you’re in Toronto, might be worth checking out Zuccarini or Anthony’s and getting a professionals opinion on a combo starter set.

Reactions: WallyD and 2CHAINZ

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I've been very happy with the Jura E6, my in-laws have the model up E8 which adds some extra options that I never use, there's a hospitality center (I assume that means show room) in Mississauga if that helps, but you won't see any competing super automatic brands like Saeco or Delonghi there.

We ordered ours online but knew the machine since the in-laws already had one
Ya I just was looking at the link you shared, when I go on there that machine isn't available just the models above. This style machine is definitely something I'd like to get so I'll obviously have to do some research but I like when someone uses something regularly and recommends it.
When I was attending university one of my friends used to host card games in his basement. We drank his father's beer, White Seal, as the price was right. That was a horrible beer.
Lol when you're that age I don't think you care about what's in it or what it tastes like. My college booze strategy was to always have malibu on hand because girls loved that shit.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Coffee is meant to be brewed from fresh roasted beans. Who knows how long it takes for those rebadged Starbucks beans to hit Costco shelves?

I tend to go with Equator from Almonte and Social from Richmond Hill for my beans, although I'll try different roasters like Little Victories, Pilot or Happy Goat. Have a Rancilio Silvia espresso machine with a Macap grinder.

Assen na yo!
With the amount of coffee Costco sells, I don't think it's that long... Anyways, for an every day option it's convenient but we pick up specialty stuff from time to time too.

Super automatic machines are less about getting the perfect cup and more about getting a very good cup conveniently anyways, there's always something getting traded off.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I make my own beer from a Fiesta Brew kit.
I make 2 kinds Czech Pilsner which and Cream Ale .. both are very good
Ends up costing about 1.10 - 1.20 per 500ml bottle .. Also a little stronger

Best home brew I ever tried ... no weird flavors or sediment. Highly recommend it.

If you are into infusing it also lends itself to that as well.

I also make my own wodka 40% at under 2$ per litre.

Reactions: Micklebot

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Assen na yo!
Other recommendations: Hatch Crafted, Detour and Subtext. I’ve bought coffee from just about every roaster in Ontario and these 3 are consistently the best, imo.

Reactions: Masked

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Ya when I order a beer I want beer that tastes like beer and makes me feel like a god after a couple pints.
It's not limited to fruit in beer or flavours in coffee. Now they expect you to do perform some silly-ass chi-chi dance just to order. I'm supposed to memorize 'grandes', 'smandes' or 'ventandes', or whatever TF Starbucks decides to call their stupid cup sizes? Screw that, just give me a GD LARGE normal coffee for chrissakes...

It's not so much that I am a crusty curmudgeon (though I've earned some stripes and grey). It's more that I have little patience for bullshit and pretentiousness.

Last edited:

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022

Assen na yo!
+1 for Equator from Almonte... Some awesome roasts there. We have a nice Breville machine and a fresh burr grind of beans from there produces great coffees. Our preference is strong (darkish) but not bitter.

Last edited:

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022

Best home brew I ever tried ... no weird flavors or sediment. Highly recommend it.

Quick question about beer making, if you please... I've done the wine thingy, but never beer. Any issue brewing beer related to off-gassing? IOW, does the house / basement end up smelling like a brewery? (I don't care - beats potpourri - but my darling wifey might! lol) Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Quick question about beer making, if you please... I've done the wine thingy, but never beer. Any issue brewing beer related to off-gassing? IOW, does the house / basement end up smelling like a brewery? (I don't care - beats potpourri - but my darling wifey might! lol) Thanks in advance.
Not with this kit.
Very similar to a wine kit for wine making.

The wort comes in a plastic bladder... dump that in a primary fermenter add the package of yeast included and let it do its thing for a week (5-7)
I then transfer to a carboy for another 10 days .. then back into the primary fermenter add sugar included follow directions for amount stir and let sit for a bit and bottle.. doesn't have any smell that I notice anyway.

Grolsch bottles work great.. I bought some bottles then ordered 48 Grolsch from the LCBO .. drank them and kept the bottles so I have enough to have 2 batches . Depending on consumption rates ... it works for me.. I may want to get some more Grolsch for the bottles. If you can find used bottles for a good price that would work too.. I have tried bottling in Gatorade bottles to bring camping .. still perfecting that.

Last edited:

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Not with this kit.

The wort comes in a plastic bladder... dump that in a primary fermenter add the package of yeast included and let it do its thing for a week (5-7)
I then transfer to a carboy for another 10 days .. then back into the primary fermenter add sugar included follow directions for amount stir and let sit for a bit and bottle.. doesn't have any smell that I notice anyway.

Grolsch bottles work great.. I bought some bottles then ordered 48 Grolsch from the LCBO .. drank them and kept the bottles so I have enough to have 2 batches . Depending on consumption rates ... it works for me.. I may want to get some more Grolsch for the bottles. If you can find used bottles for a good price that would work too.. I have tried bottling in Gatorade bottles to bring camping .. still perfecting that.
Damn, now I am obliged to drink 48 beers to limber up for this adventure! How shall I ever recover? Thanks for the help/advice. Cheers.

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Not with this kit.

Just to be sure... is that FIESTA or FESTA brew kits? I Googled to see where available in the area and I am seeing lots of the latter? Don't think I'll have any ready for the game tonight! :)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just to be sure... is that FIESTA or FESTA brew kits? I Googled to see where available in the area and I am seeing lots of the latter? Don't think I'll have any ready for the game tonight! :)
FESTA sorry..,
1677973018579.png

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Sens of Anarchy tailgate for the playoffs!

I’ll bring my own home made stuff…prosciutto and gabagool

Have had it twice. Can now confirm that the best thin crust Neapolitan style pizza restaurant is….

Giulia

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Any further info on this? I'm not even interested in doing it myself I'm just genuinely curious in the process if it's coming out that cheap.
not going to discuss that anymore here .. generally you can look up "sugar wash"

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I found StrawberryBlond baked goods in a farmboy in Toronto. Words cannot explain how grateful I was. Its my favourite bakery in Ottawa. I had refrigerated brownies, but if any Ottawa residents need a cake or have an itching sweet tooth, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Bobby Ryan just unprompted plugged Jura coffee machines on coming in hot, lol. No Starbucks for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad