OT: Ottawa food thread!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I will keep mentioning it until its noticed, but Clandestin in Hull is great

I remember having diner at Louis Neuf in Hull may decades ago. :)

Louis the Chef came over to our table for a chat. The food was great. Gone but not forgotten.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Is there any pizza in the city Dave portnoy would rate over a 7.5 ?
Had Giulia PIzza , on Elgin Street, and am fairly confident that he would rate it 8.5. This , I think, is the best representation of italian pizza in the city. Was blown away how good they were. Pricey, but simply outstanding and I digested it well.

I was in Manhattan the past week, and went to a place he rated 9.3, Angelo's on 57th. We were nearby and had to give it a shot.

Best pizza , I think, that i have ever eaten in my life. And I have been fortunate to have a lot of great pizzas in Italy. There was aplace in Venice and Milan , that if I gave Angelo's a 10, those two would be 9.5s. A place in Calabria would be right there. Generally, all the pizzas I have had in Italy would be over 9 except one in , of all places, Sorrento, which would be an 8.5 lol. In hindsight, if the place in Sorrento is 8.5, then the place in Ottawa, Giulian, wuold be a 9.

Interesting chain of restaurants which makes me want to try the others as part of that company. Named after cars, Riviera, El Camino, Datsun, Shelby, and now Giulia...Riviera was amazing so will have to try the others now!

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
Had Giulia PIzza , on Elgin Street, and am fairly confident that he would rate it 8.5. This , I think, is the best representation of italian pizza in the city. Was blown away how good they were. Pricey, but simply outstanding and I digested it well.

I was in Manhattan the past week, and went to a place he rated 9.3, Angelo's on 57th. We were nearby and had to give it a shot.

Best pizza , I think, that i have ever eaten in my life. And I have been fortunate to have a lot of great pizzas in Italy. There was aplace in Venice and Milan , that if I gave Angelo's a 10, those two would be 9.5s. A place in Calabria would be right there. Generally, all the pizzas I have had in Italy would be over 9 except one in , of all places, Sorrento, which would be an 8.5 lol. In hindsight, if the place in Sorrento is 8.5, then the place in Ottawa, Giulian, wuold be a 9.

Interesting chain of restaurants which makes me want to try the others as part of that company. Named after cars, Riviera, El Camino, Datsun, Shelby, and now Giulia...Riviera was amazing so will have to try the others now!
How would you compare it to Roberto's on Preston?

Can attest, El Camino is quite good. Also love Riviera.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
How would you compare it to Roberto's on Preston?

Can attest, El Camino is quite good. Also love Riviera.
When Roberto's initially opened, the pizzaiolo was authentic and the pizzas were incredible. Last two times and the pizzas were reduced to soggy messes. Giulia all the way, but at their peaks...I still give a slight nod to Giulia

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Is there any pizza in the city Dave portnoy would rate over a 7.5 ?

I watch his pizza reviews and his style is exactly my style thing crust well done cheese pizza.

If ur looking for high 7s in ottawa there is pizza nerds/city goose on bank st , and another restuarant called rabbit hole I think it is on sparks street.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Ottawa/Gatineau doesn't have a Brazilian steakhouse, does it? I thought there was one in Gatineau a while ago, never went, and can't find one.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
Dear Ottawa foodies - I'm in town for 2 days and have a lunch and dinner unaccounted for - looking for something tasty and new. Super appreciative of any suggestions, any type of food, place you've eaten and loved. thanks!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Dear Ottawa foodies - I'm in town for 2 days and have a lunch and dinner unaccounted for - looking for something tasty and new. Super appreciative of any suggestions, any type of food, place you've eaten and loved. thanks!
What do you have a hankering for?

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
What do you have a hankering for?
I'm cool for anyone's favourites, but would be especially keen on BBQ for dinner or excellent sandwiches for lunch. I'm from Ottawa but left a while ago, still visit frequently for work, so was keen on new spots. Thanks dude.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm cool for anyone's favourites, but would be especially keen on BBQ for dinner or excellent sandwiches for lunch. I'm from Ottawa but left a while ago, still visit frequently for work, so was keen on new spots. Thanks dude.
As far as BBQ goes, there's a spot in Kanata off Eagleson called Big Bone BBQ that I'd recommend. Great pulled pork, solid brisket, and if you're a fan of spicy I haven't had many hotter than their 911 Inferno sauce.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Gotta try Subito for lunch, I've heard its really good. I used to go to Di Rienzos I think it's either the same people or they moved on to Subito. Korean BBQ? Table Sodam for the boneless fried chicken and pasta.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ottawa/Gatineau doesn't have a Brazilian steakhouse, does it? I thought there was one in Gatineau a while ago, never went, and can't find one.
There was one in Gatineau at, I think, the Chateau Cartier (on Chemin d'Aylmer not THAT far from Champlain Bridge) but it closed quite a few years ago.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
As for Korean, I tended to go to Alirang. But that was pre-pandemic, and I also tended to go at lot to Bytowne Cinema then as well, which was very close to Alirang. Never went to either Table Sodam or Gogiya before (...and never even heard of Gogiya), though I just noticed that none of these places have Kalbi on menu.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad