Injury Report: Zdeno Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
First of all, the "tank" talk is disgusting. Anyone who thinks that way is not a real hockey fan imo. Play to win, regardless.

Secondly, I'm still not trusting these tweets. Sources were not specified. Did they talk to team doctors, or anyone on the team?

Torn ACL? Seems odd that he could have a torn ACL and continue to play after the collision with Tavares with no visible discomfort whatsoever. Not even in reaction to the knee contact. But he played another shift, skating regularly, etc. Looked 100% fine.

But even if it is a tear, could it be so bad as to require surgery if he could play the way he did after the incident with Tavares? I'm hoping that's a sign that it's not so bad that it would require surgery, or cost him the season.

It's a big blow, of course, but this team played pretty well in the last half of that third period tonight.

If a trade for a 3-4 Dman is needed, I wonder if this might give Chia a needed excuse to maybe dangle Loui (plus Spooner, + picks) and avoid what would otherwise be the egg-on-face of trading the main piece of the Seguin trade. I.e., he can save face by saying, "well, we lost Chara and needed to do something to address that major hole on D." Gagne moves up to Soda's RW, or he goes to #1 line, and Fraser, Robins, Griffith, Koko fill the 3-4 RW spot.

I agree. This tank talk makes me sick. Does anyone really believe the B's players would tank on purpose ?...stupid...and foolish.

We still need a legit top right winger so I am not sure the B's will be getting a dman too.

I will be interested to see what the B's do.

Wishing big Z a speedy and FULL recovery.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
so sick of hearing this. He's our number 1 D. He doesn't even play more minutes than several other D out there. Suter played nearly 30 mins a night last year. Chara was 14th in the NHL in TOI/G. Doughty played more minutes and won the cup. It's Chara's frigging job to play a ton of minutes.

Doughty is like what, 25? Chara is thirty-seven.....

Yes, he's our #1 D
Yes, he's relied upon to play the most minutes
Yes, it's his job
Yes, he's got a huge cap hit

No, he hasn't been able to live up to the job for well over a year now and now he's got a serious injury.

But, yes, everyone, let's continue to whistle past the graveyard. It's all good.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
Dunno if this has been posted already - is this the cause of injury? Chara makes a very small change of direction just before impact and Tavares drives into his left knee

PhonyMenacingBlackfootedferret.gif

Yikes. And David almost ran into Goliath.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Bruins should add that top line right winger n move Griffith with Soderberg n Loui..Move Kelly with Paille n Soupy. It would give Bruins way more chance to with stand this. Give you 3 lines can score n one great vet line loaded with work ethic n smarts.Just my thinking.Any one notices i missed something feel free correct me.:)

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Thank god Z is only going to miss a month. This might be good for the big guy, he'll get some rest. I think we can get through a month without him, hopefully the youngins step up.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I agree. This tank talk makes me sick. Does anyone really believe the B's players would tank on purpose ?...stupid...and foolish.

We still need a legit top right winger so I am not sure the B's will be getting a dman too.

I will be interested to see what the B's do.

Wishing big Z a speedy and FULL recovery.

The players wouldn't tank, no doubt about it. In fact, I imagine very few players in the NHL would ever purposely tank; they're bred to play. However, in certain situations, a GM would most logically tank. If there were no hope for even making the playoffs this year, then, as a GM, you plan differently - you accept and decline different trades, etc. Any deals you make are tailored for 2015-6 and beyond, and not for 2014-5. And that, in turn, could be considered "tanking". Plus, when players get the vibe from the front office that they're not going to get the reinforcements necessary to play, that's psychologically devastating. The players individually may appear to tank, but they're just disheartened.

Please note that I'm speaking 100% in hypotheticals here. We don't KNOW that Chara won't come back in 4 weeks. Latest news is that it's an isolated PCL injury that doesn't require surgery, but that could be just a Behind-the-B-esque smiley face that Chia's trying to put on the situation. While Chara's conditioning is phenomenal, the best VO2 max in the world isn't going to repair a ligament.

Also, we don't KNOW whether we're a playoff contender or not without Chara. We may be limping and gasping for the fourth seed if we are, but stranger things can happen. After Chara left the ice, we went 2-2 in a 50 minute game against a team that's now at the top of their division. We played Bart for 20 minutes. I'm not saying "we got this", but with the right guys standing up, it's possible.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
so sick of hearing this. He's our number 1 D. He doesn't even play more minutes than several other D out there. Suter played nearly 30 mins a night last year. Chara was 14th in the NHL in TOI/G. Doughty played more minutes and won the cup. It's Chara's frigging job to play a ton of minutes.

I hear you.

Doughty's twilight days will come as well, but relative to Chara's contract, his is pretty friendly...$7m hit for next 5 years at which time I think he'll be 30? However, let's see what it costs them to extend him if they want to keep him beyound that point.

Suter logs a ton of minutes, his cap hit is $7.5 million through 2024-25 when he will be 40.

Phaneuf's is $7m though 2020-21 when he wil be 36.

It's ok to expect a lot out of Z given his contract and role as #1 D.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
This team is a wreck and at this point one injury to #40 away from being worst record in the NHL when you factor in the D this team will dress for the next six weeks...

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
watched the 1st period again at lunch. The hit by Strait was indeed on the PP but Z didn't show any signs of pain, etc. down after it. The Tavares collision is at the 8:42 mark and the funny thing is Z didn't show any signs of much being wrong after that either, or during the one shift he played after that.

Gotta love the "at least he'll get some rest" crowd. People, he's not lounging around Aruba for 6 weeks doing his usual workout regimen in order to come back during the holidays tanned, rested, and ready. :laugh:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
This team is a wreck and at this point one injury to #40 away from being worst record in the NHL when you factor in the D this team will dress for the next six weeks...

Bruins are gonna push pace missing Chara.Best way make up for him is be in attacking zone more.Watch game plan change now.They gonna go on the attack now.You wait n see.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Bruins are gonna push pace missing Chara.Best way make up for him is be in attacking zone more.Watch game plan change now.They gonna go on the attack now.You wait n see.

I'd love to see that but I don't think that's in the cards. Even if it is, when Chara gets back they go back to the way they're used to playing.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Thank god Z is only going to miss a month. This might be good for the big guy, he'll get some rest. I think we can get through a month without him, hopefully the youngins step up.

I was thinking the same thing about him getting some rest. The other thing that we tend to forget/overlook is that the vast majority of the time the best team in October looks much different in June. This isn't the final version of the 2014-15 Bruins and there is enough talent right now to be competitive.

Getting above the point of being competitive is the tricky part, which hopefully Chia/Cam and company can succeed with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad