Injury Report: Zdeno Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
This is bad news but at same time it forces others to step up.My bet Bruins powerplay improves now.Clode uses Z on it alot and quite frankly he is slow.Bruins need to play more like Calgary.Everyone toes their weight.

He's been used in front of the net on the PP. The one last year that was 3rd in the league behind Pittsburgh and Washington.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
It is part of the 3 main ligaments that hold your knees together.

It can be catastrophic if it detaches from your ACL and MCL. It sounds like, based on Chiarelli's conference, that it did not detach and that while there's a tear, it is not complete and conservative treatment PT/rest/stim will heal it.

Best possible news.

They don't do knee surgery unless this treatment fails to alleviate the problem.

4 ;)

PCL, MCL, ACL, LCL.

Depending on the grade severity, it'll heal on it's own. Big man just needs to stay off his feet for about two weeks to let the swelling go down, then start in on PT to address trunk stabilization.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Team could use a bit of adversity to get their heads out of their *****.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Um since when is "below" "well below"?

It's only early in the Season, so it's a mute point at this stage. But what such a record would translate to, over the long run, is enough to put the team out of the Playoffs. That's well-enough below to matter.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
When an anchor of your team is 37 years old and is forced to log as many minutes as he does, OF COURSE it's forseeable that he's going to get injured at some point and that it's going to crater your team.

This is why it was foolish to "lock up" a player, at that high a cap hit especially, until he's forty-frickin-two years old...
You're not locking him up; you're handcuffing yourself.

If you don't offer multi-year contracts, you don't get talent.

He'll be 41 when his contract expires, and the final year's (2017-2018) hit is $4m, not the $6.9m current cap hit. If anyone wants to critique his contract, that's legit, but I don't think a deal would have gotten done without going out to at least 2016 with him.

I will admit that I've not been a huge Chara supporter in the playoffs the last 2 seasons, and I'll grant you that I'd prefer he wasn't signed for that kind of hit beyond, say, 2016, but the fact remains, he is a huge reason for a cup in 2011 and strong performances in other years.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
KPD last night suggested they bring in Hal Gill to help fill the void. :facepalm:

That won't work. Lets put McQuaid on growth hormones and teach him slovak.

In reality we can't replace Chara, but McQuiad does offer many of the same qualities. Not an ideal situation, but something tells me the others can pick up the slack and balance this out.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
He's been used in front of the net on the PP. The one last year that was 3rd in the league behind Pittsburgh and Washington.

Overall last few years its been horrible.One good year in 4 ...Chara to me is horrible on it no matter where they put him.I like idea of kids getting to play.Lets c what we have..Hope he gets well sooner then later though n being out lights a fire in him and team when he returns.Should be a big push.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
This 37 year old version of Chara is not the same player as the 34 year old Chara was and he has looked pedestrian at times this season. He has gone from elite to very good and with 3 years to go on his contract he will not be able to carry the team in those last 3 years. S*cks that this happened but now the Bruins get to see if they have correctly evaluated their defense talent. With the draft picks that they have accumulated they will know at the end of this 6 week period if they need to use their picks on another defenseman.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
If we're lucky enough that he's only going to miss a month, we can handle that. It won't be easy, but it isn't the end of the world. We need our best players to play like our best players, though. Consistent Selke and Vezina level play from Bergy and Rask will go a long way. Seidenberg and Hamilton figuring things out will help too.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center

how did that work out in the playoffs for them? They were 19th in the league in the PK. The PK lost them the series. Ya think they should have played him less on the PP so he could concentrate on the PK?

PP for show, PK for dough.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
If we're lucky enough that he's only going to miss a month, we can handle that. It won't be easy, but it isn't the end of the world. We need our best players to play like our best players, though. Consistent Selke and Vezina level play from Bergy and Rask will go a long way. Seidenberg and Hamilton figuring things out will help too.

I agree with this.But its gonna take team effort not just relying on goalie.I think Bruins team speed has to be better to a man along with positioning.Far to many times this year Defence has led to goals from lack of smarts n effort.Time to put workboots on n earn their money starting with Leafs.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
how did that work out in the playoffs for them? They were 19th in the league in the PK. The PK lost them the series. Ya think they should have played him less on the PP so he could concentrate on the PK?

ummmm did I somehow miss where PP and PK happen at the same time? what does Chara being on the PP have to do with him playing on the PK? It's not like it reduced his PK minutes.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

I don't know if they should have played him less on the PP in the playoffs, though I do agree their PK lost them the series.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

I never liked him on powerplay.Way to slow.With extra man need players with smarts n quick hands that can move puck quick.You make a really really good point to.Chara was always meant to be a shutdown guy but somewhere along the way that idea changed.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Silver lining in this; we get to see if Morrow is as good as he's been described.

Hopefully this can be a collective kick in the ass for this team....everybody needs to step up.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Team's already playing below .500... now they lose the guy their team is built around.

Outta be a fun couple of months.

Ummm...since when is 4-5 "well below .500"?

A bit of a nitpicking, I know, but he did not write "well below .500".

Also, in an environment of OT and SO extra points, .500 is not what it used to be and has been devalued.

As of this morning, the average for teams in the NHL is .568.

So .444 (4-5) is the equivalent of .390 in a non-extra points environment where the average is always .5000.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Lol its more minutes he could be resting basically.Every year we hear he plays to many mins.

so sick of hearing this. He's our number 1 D. He doesn't even play more minutes than several other D out there. Suter played nearly 30 mins a night last year. Chara was 14th in the NHL in TOI/G. Doughty played more minutes and won the cup. It's Chara's frigging job to play a ton of minutes.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
so sick of hearing this. He's our number 1 D. He doesn't even play more minutes than several other D out there. Suter played nearly 30 mins a night last year. Chara was 14th in the NHL in TOI/G. Doughty played more minutes and won the cup. It's Chara's frigging job to play a ton of minutes.

Hes really old. Probably can't be the 30 minute guy he used to be. I doubt at 37 suter and Doughty play the time chara does now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->