Injury Report: Zdeno Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
News Flash: Even though Chara was relatively ineffectual during his first few games this season, without him, this team's still going down in flames. It'll just be hastened.

There were way too many holes in this team even before this.

Funny to me that people delude themselves into thinking otherwise.

Starry-eyed optimism.

News Flash: Success in sports requires a winning optimist's mentality, not a realist's pessimism. If you're down 2-3 goals in a game, you don't just throw in the towel and say, "We're screwed."

I prefer to take the same approach as a fan. You're welcome to embrace the doom; I will not.

chuck1984

Jan 13, 2012
Will the Bruins put him on the IR? (I have him in my fantasy pool, and I'm a Habs fan :O lol)

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
He will be out anywhere from 19-40 games.

Instead of "weeks" let's talk about "games". How many games will he be out is the important thing. That will determine the number of games the player brought up will play. That will reduce the number of games that player has "waiver wire" wise to be set back down when Chara return. That will affect our depth more.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
it'll be interesting to see them have a challenge, they've coasted for a few years now by the amount of upper tier talent they've had on the roster. they've won the division and the president's trophy. let's see them have to work for something. maybe they'll actually produce better results.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
He will be out anywhere from 19-40 games.

Are you an orthopedic surgeon? IMO your worst-case estimate of 40 games for a sprained PCL is grossly pessimistic. He may even get back before 19 games go by. If his absence exceeds 19 games it won't be by much.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Have to agree with this. This team was lacking before Chara went down. Now they have his hole to fill on top of the others that were already obvious. This could get ugly real fast.

I'm sure you thought the TB season was over when Stamkos went down last year, right?

This Chara-less Bruins team is better than that Stamkos-less TB team and they managed over 100pts. And Chara should miss much less time than Stamkos.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
News Flash: Success in sports requires a winning optimist's mentality, not a realist's pessimism. If you're down 2-3 goals in a game, you don't just throw in the towel and say, "We're screwed."

I prefer to take the same approach as a fan. You're welcome to embrace the doom; I will not.

I'm sure he also thought the 07-08 Bruins were done when Begin broke Savard back for the rest of the season when we were battling for the 8th spot with an already Bergeron-less team. Entered Krejci and the Bruins make it.

Or probably have turned down the TV game 7 against the Leafs.

Never take this Clode team out. They play their best hockey when down and their back up the wall.

Closest example: 3rd period yesterday.

They will get the job done. Just like TB did last year with Stamkos out or Pittsburgh with Crosby out.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
“This is completely different, isolated from other ligaments that are more critical of the maneuvering of the knee,” Chiarelli said during a press conference at TD Garden before practice. “So the good news is it’s isolated to that.”

With no other choice, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli decided to look on the bright side today after he revealed that defenseman Zdeno Chara will miss 4-6 weeks with a tear of the posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...elli_bruins_prep_for_life_without_zdeno_chara

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
“This is completely different, isolated from other ligaments that are more critical of the maneuvering of the knee,†Chiarelli said during a press conference at TD Garden before practice. “So the good news is it’s isolated to that.â€

With no other choice, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli decided to look on the bright side today after he revealed that defenseman Zdeno Chara will miss 4-6 weeks with a tear of the posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...elli_bruins_prep_for_life_without_zdeno_chara

First time I've ever heard of a hockey player injuring that particular ligament.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm sure you thought the TB season was over when Stamkos went down last year, right?

This Chara-less Bruins team is better than that Stamkos-less TB team and they managed over 100pts. And Chara should miss much less time than Stamkos.

I'll take imaginary arguments that I've never made for a thousand, Alex...:naughty:

If you would be so kind as to note, I said could get ugly. Not definitely would. Big difference, no?

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
it'll be interesting to see them have a challenge, they've coasted for a few years now by the amount of upper tier talent they've had on the roster. they've won the division and the president's trophy. let's see them have to work for something. maybe they'll actually produce better results.

Would be fun to see that scrappy 07-08 team mentality again.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Last time they had to work for something and prove themselves was 2011. Safe to say that turned out well.

Arthur*

Am I the only one not worried?

Don't we always complain that Chara wears down in the playoffs because we overwork him for 82 games a year? Well, a 4-6 week vacation for him to rest up, and he'll be back by February at the latest. Doesn't sound that bad to me in the long term.

We'll lose some games in the short term, but people are underestimating how good our team is, how good Seidenberg and Hamilton are, and how bad the Atlantic division is. We could lose Chara for the rest of the year and we'd still finish third behind Montreal and Tampa.

No need to panic.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014

Don't we always complain that Chara wears down in the playoffs because we overwork him for 82 games a year? Well, a 4-6 week vacation for him to rest up, and he'll be back by February at the latest. Doesn't sound that bad to me in the long term.

We'll lose some games in the short term, but people are underestimating how good our team is, how good Seidenberg and Hamilton are, and how bad the Atlantic division is. We could lose Chara for the rest of the year and we'd still finish third behind Montreal and Tampa.

No need to panic.

We are not at the 10 game mark yet. Now if Chara was to miss games at the 55 mark that would be a good rest.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
We are not at the 10 game mark yet. Now if Chara was to miss games at the 55 mark that would be a good rest.

This.
Also calling an injury a vacation or rest is cute but that's not what it is.
The impact of the injury on his game is concerning, as well as the impact of him not being able to do his crazy fitness stuff for a couple months.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

No need to panic.

The real worry for me is the surgery question.

I mean... One could reasonably worry that in his absence, the Bruins play themselves out of a playoff spot.

But the big thing is Chara's effectiveness when/if he returns this season.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT

No need to panic.

Good points. Count me in.

Based on what we've seen, I doubt we would be challenging for the President's Trophy anyway. That being said, I don't think this stops us from making the playoffs. So, a great deal fewer games for Chara during the extended pre-season might work well.

Chia wanted to evaluate after the Boychuk trade, well, plenty of evaluation spots open for an extended period. Get the info you need...then be prepared to make decisions.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
chara is some kind of science experiment who plays hockey. i won't believe he's finished until he actually says that he's retiring and isn't on an active roster anymore.

of course, he'll leave the nhl and go win the tour de france or something.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I'm sure he also thought the 07-08 Bruins were done when Begin broke Savard back for the rest of the season when we were battling for the 8th spot with an already Bergeron-less team. Entered Krejci and the Bruins make it.

Or probably have turned down the TV game 7 against the Leafs.

Never take this Clode team out. They play their best hockey when down and their back up the wall.

Closest example: 3rd period yesterday.

They will get the job done. Just like TB did last year with Stamkos out or Pittsburgh with Crosby out.

You mean where we turned it on, too little too late, and still lost the game? And you somehow expect us to win games like that, and others, even moreso with Chara out of the lineup based upon some intangible adrenaline/pride-based rush of energy and emotion? Color me skeptical; not in the heart department, or even in the pride department, but in the talent department.

chara is some kind of science experiment who plays hockey. i won't believe he's finished until he actually says that he's retiring and isn't on an active roster anymore.

of course, he'll leave the nhl and go win the tour de france or something.

His decline started over a year ago. He may still "think" he's on top of his game, like I sometimes "think" I don't look so bad in the mirror, sadly, we're both wrong. I, much moreso than he, of course, but for us both, nature, not self, will determine whether we're still viable. Chara, I submit, at 37, is wearing down and becoming less viable with each passing month.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
In my desperate attempt to manufacture my own silver lining... i was thinking that perhaps the only positive from Chara's injury (aside from getting an earlier and longer sneak-peek of Joe Morrow's game in the NHL) is that this will mean that Chara will likely be less worn down or physically spent by the time playoffs come around.

With Boychuk gone and Miller hurt, you know Z was going to be logging in major minutes night in and night out. Last season the Captain was overworked and his playoff performance suffered somewhat as a result... especially against the Habs Z looked his age.

So providing that he makes a full recovery and bounces back, maybe we get a better rested/more effective Chara come playoff time??? Just a thought.

PS- The very fact that this injury happened so early in the season is something of a silver lining in itself. If everything goes according to plan, i believe he should be back in plenty of time to get his groove back before the postseason. If this happened a couple weeks before regular season's end, we would be in much more trouble than we already find ourselves in (by we i mean the Boston Bruins) at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad