Injury Report: Zdeno Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a major ligament right?

It is part of the 3 main ligaments that hold your knees together.

It can be catastrophic if it detaches from your ACL and MCL. It sounds like, based on Chiarelli's conference, that it did not detach and that while there's a tear, it is not complete and conservative treatment PT/rest/stim will heal it.

Best possible news.

They don't do knee surgery unless this treatment fails to alleviate the problem.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
While it sucks that it happened to Chara, I'm trying to look at it in a positive light.

First off, what's collectively been our biggest concern with him? Managing his minutes. He's looked gassed in the playoffs the past few years. Even though a knee injury is nothing to take lightly, maybe a few weeks off won't be the worst idea. Granted that's completely dependant on Chara recovering.

Also, it does give the Bruins an ooportunity to evaluate someone like Morrow in a consistent NHL setting, to see what they have and whether or not he's going to be part of their future.

As long as the team can tread water and not fall too far behind the pack, which they shouldn;t even though they've been struggling to start the year, it might actually end up being a positive thing.

All in all, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
It can be if it detaches from your ACL and MCL. It sounds like, based on Chiarelli's conference, that it did not detach and that while there's a tear, it is not complete and conservative treatment PT/rest/stim will heal it.

Best possible news.

They don't do knee surgery unless this treatment fails to alleviate the problem.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I like a lil good news after some bad news.

Kaoz*

Team's already playing below .500... now they lose the guy their team is built around.

Outta be a fun couple of months.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Didn't know they had a stud d-man.

And with your analogy, we should be more than fine since we do have a stud goalie. Along with one of the best two-way trio of C in the league.

my formula was a general one, not specific to any one team: any stud goal scorer is < either a stud goalie or stud d-man, ergo, the loss of a stud goal scorer can be handled better by a team that has one of the other 2 variables.

As far as our stud goalie, i've broken it down before but here it is again. Here is what we have seen from Rask:
-Strong regular seasons where he has a full workload, combined with early round playoff exits. (i'm not blaming him for those exits, just bringing it up to illustrate his total season workload history).
-Long, strong, playoff run, but with a lockout shortened regular season.

What we have NOT seen him do yet:
Full regular season workload, AND a long playoff run.

As someone alluded to earlier, the Chara situation makes Rask's job even harder. It isn't just about Chara in a vacuum, but all the ripple effects that flow from it.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
While it sucks that it happened to Chara, I'm trying to look at it in a positive light.

First off, what's collectively been our biggest concern with him? Managing his minutes. He's looked gassed in the playoffs the past few years. Even though a knee injury is nothing to take lightly, maybe a few weeks off won't be the worst idea. Granted that's completely dependant on Chara recovering.

Also, it does give the Bruins an ooportunity to evaluate someone like Morrow in a consistent NHL setting, to see what they have and whether or not he's going to be part of their future.

As long as the team can tread water and not fall too far behind the pack, which they shouldn;t even though they've been struggling to start the year, it might actually end up being a positive thing.

All in all, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world.

I like this...well done. AS long as well get into the play-offs and build around Z when he gets back I'm good.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Looks like I picked a good week to give up caffeine.;)

Oof! I've been there :laugh:

This past aug was my 1 year anniversary of quitting caffeine. I did it because of my anxiety and panic attacks. I was told it would help. Its hard. The first month was the worst. The headaches are killer. Add the stress? Double wammy. But once you get through that and learn what has caffeine in it and not, it gets easier. The only thing I miss is coffee coolattas. :)

Good luck! Especially with the Chara news. I'm still hoping for Hal Gill to come save us all ;)

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Gotcha, thanks for the info. I like a lil good news after some bad news.

No problem.

I'm only going off of what I've been told by my doctor as I continue to rehab my knee from a meniscal/kneecap injury. Totally different injury than Z.

Others who know more about PCL injuries may have additional or different info.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
So that Boychuk trade is REALLY hurting us now.

It hurt the Bruins right from the day it happened. Now it's looking possibly lethal; but let's hope not quite that bad.

The team has been having trouble scoring as being the main issue, and with Chara out now the team may need to score at least one more goal per game in order to pull out victories.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
From the AAOS: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00420

PCL

PCL-1.jpg

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
This is bad news but at same time it forces others to step up.My bet Bruins powerplay improves now.Clode uses Z on it alot and quite frankly he is slow.Bruins need to play more like Calgary.Everyone toes their weight.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
This is bad news but at same time it forces others to step up.My bet Bruins powerplay improves now.Clode uses Z on it alot and quite frankly he is slow.Bruins need to play more like Calgary.Everyone toes their weight.

umm....Chara led the team in powerplay goals last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad