Zdeno Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
No offense but you have an excuse for everything. This team is not good and Chara is no longer a number 1dman. Reality. Face it.

He has a no movement clause and wont be traded for at least 2 years at most never. Either stay optimistic that the team is just having a down year and hope he comes back next year rested and healthy or believe he is terrible now and too slow and they should move him but he has a no movement so they're stuck with him and now I can complain for 5 years about how he's overpaid.

I expect to complain about chara because he will be inexcusably bad one day. And he will still be on the bruins. So I'll make the excuses while they are there because there will be plenty of time to complain about chara in 2 or 3 years when he skills really start to erode and we aren't debating whether he's a number 1 or 2 making 6.9 but a number 6 or 7 making 6.9. That'll be the real problem

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
He has a no movement clause and wont be traded for at least 2 years at most never. Either stay optimistic that the team is just having a down year and hope he comes back next year rested and healthy or believe he is terrible now and too slow and they should move him but he has a no movement so they're stuck with him and now I can complain for 5 years about how he's overpaid.

I expect to complain about chara because he will be inexcusably bad one day. And he will still be on the bruins. So I'll make the excuses while they are there because there will be plenty of time to complain about chara in 2 or 3 years when he skills really start to erode and we aren't debating whether he's a number 1 or 2 making 6.9 but a number 6 or 7 making 6.9. That'll be the real problem

Do you think he'd object to being traded to an LA or some other REAL Cup contender? Do you think this Islander/Senator/Bruin would not assent to that?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Do you think he'd object to being traded to an LA or some other REAL Cup contender? Do you think this Islander/Senator/Bruin would not assent to that?

Do you think the kings with their cap situation would trade for 6.9 million for a 6-9 dman in decline and give anything back besides more bad contracts? Face it when it comes to chara

[/url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qfNR-ft7A4

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
ok, san jose, Anaheim, Nashville, wherever. you get the point. that was a good movie, though. Aequitas et Veritas.

I think players personal lives aren't nearly as heavily weighted as they should be when talking about waiving a no trade. Does chara have a young family here in Boston? What's more important to him right now with 3 years left on his deal after this one, winning a cup or living in Boston. I think right now its living in Boston playing for the bruins. Maybe in the last year of his deal or the year before that at the deadline he is willing to temporarily uproot his family for a chance for 1 more cup if the bruins are still a lost cause but not before then. Why would he? He gets paid the same either way and if he leaves now he's stuck with that new team for 3 years. New school district, have to find a new place to live. Last year of the deal his family stays in Boston and he lives outta a hotel for 3 months in search of a cup. That's when he'll wave. Not this year not next and probably not the year after that. 3 years from now maybe. He likes riding his bike along the Charles and in the north end too much to give that up for a financially lateral move

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Ray Bourque would be a better option going forward the next couple of years if he trained a couple of weeks and lost 50 to 80 pounds, Chara is cooked.

People don't want to admit that here. With him it is not a lack of talent, his physique will weigh him down more than any other player in history. That is even with his training regime.

I don't have season tickets but if I did I would want my contribution to be respected. I would expect an effort from management to keep giving me a good product.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
For whatever it's worth...

Tuukka's sv% with Chara on the ice this season is .886. He has a .918 with Chara out.

That's a pretty big difference....

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
love Chara but his knee is obviously still fracked. I bet anything we learn at the end of the year that he needs surgery.

Now if I'm right and his knee is not healed then why is he playing? They looked better without him tbh, and they're not going anywhere with him playing on one leg. Should have just let him get surgery and embrace the tank.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I concur there is still something physically wrong with Z. He looked strong on the PK and PP and when settled in the defensive zone, but in the transition and when having to chase a bit he is looking pretty bad. I hope it's just a matter of rebuilding his strength, but right now it seems to be more than that.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
I brought up the conversation of trading him this past summer but that ship has sailed now, nobody is taking Z at 7million a year. He can longer be relied upon in the same capacity that we have grown accustom.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Should let Chara retire a Bruin and then spend 5 years posting that he should have been moved in 2014.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Wow!

Where did you find that stat?

I just found the average sv% from the games when Chara has been in vs. when he was injured. It's pretty even too - 15 w/out him 15 w/ him I believe.

Tuukka was pretty great while Chara was injured actually. Very few sub .900 games. Now he's sub .900 like 2 of every 3 games.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The people who blindly worship Chara have gone from actively participating in this thread to wisely staying away.

As I said when the signings happened, and as is being proven true today (I don't even deserve credit...this was obvious to anyone using basic logic instead of their emotions), Dennis Seidenberg and Zdeno Chara on long term contracts while they are actively declining was and is a horrible idea.

The 'blind loyalty' thing that emerged during the Harry Sinden GM days is has re-emerged with PC and co. and it's not just in front office positions. It's with personnel on the ice too. I don't understand how there are still some out there who continue to see no issue with it.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I just found the average sv% from the games when Chara has been in vs. when he was injured. It's pretty even too - 15 w/out him 15 w/ him I believe.

Tuukka was pretty great while Chara was injured actually. Very few sub .900 games. Now he's sub .900 like 2 of every 3 games.

Sorry, I misread that.

I thought you meant when Chara was on the ice, not just when he played in the game.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The people who blindly worship Chara have gone from actively participating in this thread to wisely staying away.

As I said when the signings happened, and as is being proven true today (I don't even deserve credit...this was obvious to anyone using basic logic instead of their emotions), Dennis Seidenberg and Zdeno Chara on long term contracts while they are actively declining was and is a horrible idea.

The 'blind loyalty' thing that emerged during the Harry Sinden GM days is has re-emerged with PC and co. and it's not just in front office positions. It's with personnel on the ice too. I don't understand how there are still some out there who continue to see no issue with it.

Last year Chara and this year Chara are totally different. Last year he was a top 5 guy and all the advanced stats bear that out.

This year he is obviously not playing up to his standards. He isn't the first player to have trouble coming back from a knee injury mid-season, at any age. He (and Siedenberg, and Bergeron, and Rask, and Lucic) may well be cooked, but to come gloat after a ten game post injury sample size is ridiculous.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital

Quite true. There is really only one smart move with respect to Chara and this team's future and that is to deal Chara to the highest SC Cup contender bidder at the deadline. He will still have value to a team challenging for the Cup. He no longer fits on this team.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Quite true. There is really only one smart move with respect to Chara and this team's future and that is to deal Chara to the highest SC Cup contender bidder at the deadline. He will still have value to a team challenging for the Cup. He no longer fits on this team.

Totally agree. There will be at least ten teams that have a shot at winning the Cup. Hope someone gives a crazy offer and sell him on it. He is still good, but not elite anymore. Lots of teams would love to have him.

angle grinder

Feb 17, 2008
Chara will be fine. Not Norris Trophy fine, but elite shutdown dman nevertheless.

One thing that is hard to understand is that Julien has urged his dmen to be more aggressive at the own blue line this season but with Seids and Chara aging, defensive core is slower than ever and you might also argue that it is unsuitable for the chance Julien is driving. You need better skaters in the back end to play more aggressive style.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Chara will be fine. Not Norris Trophy fine, but elite shutdown dman nevertheless.

One thing that is hard to understand is that Julien has urged his dmen to be more aggressive at the own blue line this season but with Seids and Chara aging, defensive core is slower than ever and you might also argue that it is unsuitable for the chance Julien is driving. You need better skaters in the back end to play more aggressive style.

I`d move Miller and/or Quaider in a heartbeat if it meant better mobility back there

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK

Yeah that's way cool I mean Chara only came in second on the Norris last year but now we have to hate him and stop worshiping him because well this year and after 35 games, he stinks. Nevermind his injury, or everyone on the Bs have stunk it up this year. Nah, lets pull out our pitchforks and chase Chara out of town....

.....you know because anyone that says anything good about Chara or gives him a pass after 15 years of elite play is a Harry Sinden worshiper.

If only real hockey was like your xbox hockey, you could just trade everyone away.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Yeah that's way cool I mean Chara only came in second on the Norris last year but now we have to hate him and stop worshiping him because well this year and after 35 games, he stinks. Nevermind his injury, or everyone on the Bs have stunk it up this year. Nah, lets pull out our pitchforks and chase Chara out of town....

.....you know because anyone that says anything good about Chara or gives him a pass after 15 years of elite play is a Harry Sinden worshiper.

If only real hockey was like your xbox hockey, you could just trade everyone away.

Posts like this exemplify the type of in-the-box thinking that prevents organizations from moving forward. It's not a personal attack thing with Chara, it's an assessment of where he is, and where he's likely to be in the near to medium term. The point is that too many here look at Chara and see a tough, shutdown, 100 mph shooting, physical, mobile Norris quality dman. He was those things once, but he's not now. And, the odds are that he won't ever be again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad