Zdeno Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
you gotta think that he has value come trade deadline.. value is only going to continue to decline, and rather steeply too.. gotta get something for him .. this year is the year to trade him.. lucic (sign and trade) +chara +subban plus first rounder for hall and marincin..

time for a big shakeup . lineup has gotten stale and getting old (figuratively and literally)

Why would the Oilers do this? Take on an aging defenseman's $7 million/year contract? Why?

Plus he has a no movement clause.

Trouble is, he is using it on the ice.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
that last line made me laugh..
and i never said the oilers would do that hopefully they were truly all about the "culture change" being needed enough to pull the trigger for three more years of a elite (whatevers left) defenseman,

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Why would the Oilers do this? Take on an aging defenseman's $7 million/year contract? Why?

Plus he has a no movement clause.

Trouble is, he is using it on the ice.
lol that made me laugh. no movement clause used on the ice. so true, so sad. tough times ahead. I just think the bruins brass is clueless. they still see a Norris dman back there. he isn't anymore and never will be again. he would be great as a number 3, decent as a number 2 and is beyond horrible for a number 1. but teams like Anaheim, st Louis, islanders, dallas, Minnesota, Vancouver and san jose would still give up a ton of future assets for him. package him with paille and grab roussel and brett Ritchie from dallas. Ritchie is going to be a stud.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Anaheim - 1st, Silfverberg OR palmierie OR Gibson
St Louis - 1st, Jaskin, Rattie
Islanders - 1st, Strome OR dal colle OR nelson
Dallas - Roussel and Ritchie
Minnesota - 1st and Coyle
Vancouver - 1st and Kassian and Corrado
San Jose - 1st, Mueller

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
If they could move Chara and his salary, I'd support it. If they could move him and had to eat salary, say $2m, I'd still say do it.

Once you get to more realistic propositions, i.e. having to eat $4m or so, what's the sense. You lose your #1 D (who likely won't be the #1 d-man on the acquiring team) and only clear $3m of space.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
yes for galchenyuk and subban.

Everytime I hear Galchenyuk I hear "Ballchinion". Thanks to my teenage kid.

-ballchinian_20120413191603.jpg

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think you just have to hope he gets better.Among many concerns Chara's lack of mobility since returning is probably my biggest one. The monster who played 30 minutes a game against the best opposition looks gassed. If the Bruins somehow make the playoffs who would have thought Chara might be the guy whose minutes have to be sheltered ones.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Anaheim - 1st, Silfverberg OR palmierie OR Gibson
St Louis - 1st, Jaskin, Rattie
Islanders - 1st, Strome OR dal colle OR nelson
Dallas - Roussel and Ritchie
Minnesota - 1st and Coyle
Vancouver - 1st and Kassian and Corrado
San Jose - 1st, Mueller

Winner, since they need a LHD iirc.

But won't happen. Chia will not sell.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Chara always needed lots of practice, training, and repetition to play his style. He relies on proper mechanics to get the components of his 6-foot-9-inch frame to operate in concert. Missing almost two months because of his injury hasn’t helped.

“I still feel he’s one of the best defenders in the league,†Julien said. “Yet he’s coming off a major [injury]. You can’t tell me he’s 100 percent after being out for two months and having to make some adjustments with his equipment because of that injury. ‘’

“You’re seeing some flaws. It’s not his fault. It’s not because he’s not trying. Those are the challenges and realities we have to try and work through.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...other-areas/4OiHCr1bynSgOCjdQD5EOP/story.html

My take is that he isnt nearly recovered and he's trying to play with a brace or something.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The impact of a knee injury when you've got a 6'9 body above that knee must be exponentially crazier than on a 6'1 guy. Do the math on the counterweight of such a tall man.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
The impact of a knee injury when you've got a 6'9 body above that knee must be exponentially crazier than on a 6'1 guy. Do the math on the counterweight of such a tall man.

These are all pretty obvious. But why the hell bring him back?
He's huge and old, putting his body at even more risk while getting subpar play doesn't seem like a good risk/reward scenario.
It seems like it was a coin flip if they wanted to do surgery or not. It was pretty early to call the season a loss when he was out but if he re aggravates this thing it will be with him the rest of his career. No one option is easier, considering Seidenbergs struggles after surgery. Having your top 2 defensemen with bum knees is brutal

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
These are all pretty obvious. But why the hell bring him back?
He's huge and old, putting his body at even more risk while getting subpar play doesn't seem like a good risk/reward scenario.
It seems like it was a coin flip if they wanted to do surgery or not. It was pretty early to call the season a loss when he was out but if he re aggravates this thing it will be with him the rest of his career. No one option is easier, considering Seidenbergs struggles after surgery. Having your top 2 defensemen with bum knees is brutal

And that's the kind of variance this sport offers. It's tough, frankly it's impossible to plan around. It's the same reason why Chia never planned for 2 concussions for Eriksson. But that's life in the NHL.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
Chara always needed lots of practice, training, and repetition to play his style. He relies on proper mechanics to get the components of his 6-foot-9-inch frame to operate in concert. Missing almost two months because of his injury hasn’t helped.

“I still feel he’s one of the best defenders in the league,†Julien said. “Yet he’s coming off a major [injury]. You can’t tell me he’s 100 percent after being out for two months and having to make some adjustments with his equipment because of that injury. ‘’

“You’re seeing some flaws. It’s not his fault. It’s not because he’s not trying. Those are the challenges and realities we have to try and work through.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...other-areas/4OiHCr1bynSgOCjdQD5EOP/story.html

My take is that he isnt nearly recovered and he's trying to play with a brace or something.

If you have identified that the injury / knee brace has further restricted Chara's mobility why would you throw him out on the 1st shift of OT against the Sens.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013

I'm fine with this, but why stick him on that top D pair then?? Give him a good handful of games to play against other teams 2nd/3rd lines instead of first and somewhat ease him back in. Someone post the number for the team with and without him again this year. They speak a lot.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
If you have identified that the injury / knee brace has further restricted Chara's mobility why would you throw him out on the 1st shift of OT against the Sens.

I almost threw something at my TV when I saw this. I was infuriated. I mean who in their right mind at that time thought this was a good idea? #stoneclode

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
You do understand that Chia and Julien are making subtle excuses for the team's play. Every little "takes awhile to get back from injury" irks me. Its no excuse when the team gives an all out great effort and win in Detroit without Bergeron or lucic...and then shows half that effort in the three games after...

There is a leadership hole here no doubt. The vets are just not understanding that this team is no longer talented enough to win by talent alone. The effort has to be there game in and out. Every game, but they don't. I assume they will win one of these next two games with great effort. I am concerned if they could actually sustain it without reverting back to this new base line effort which is not good enough.

BudMovin*

Rest easy Clode. Chara will never, ever be called out for lack of effort. He is one of the hardest workers both on and off the ice.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

I agree. I skated with a brace for a torn ACL a few years ago and the thing was huge and restrictive as hell. Recommended by Scott Waugh as I saw him before the ortho doctor. If it's similar he simply won't regain any speed til it's gone.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
If a guy isn't 100% over his injury, why is he on the ice? He looks like he's at 75%...

Because Dr. Chiarelli gave him a 4-6 wk timetable and didn't want to look incompetent in yet another field. :naughty:

AnchoRager

Nov 15, 2009
Alaska
Z on TV

60 minutes sports on Showtime did really good piece on Z tonight. They described him as the hardest training athlete they have encountered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->