Zdeno Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I think what he means is, what contender has 7 million in cap space to spare and is okay with taking a 38 year old for 4 more years? Or what rebuilding team with cap space wants to spend 7million on an old player who won't be around long.

They can use him the next two seasons, and if he is totally cooked... Claim an injury and LtIR him for the final season.

To me, time to move on is now. I was surprised by how well he played last year, but then was totally burnt out in the playoffs. Just like he was the previous year by the time the finals rolled around (I know he had the hand injury, but he was gassed before he got injured).

This year he did not look good before the knee injury. He looks even worse now. That said, I feel he might be trying to do too much, maybe his play will pick up a bit, maybe nobody will want him, but if you can, move him.

I tore my LCL years ago, no surgery... Took 2 years to fully recovery while trying to play through it.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
They can use him the next two seasons, and if he is totally cooked... Claim an injury and LtIR him for the final season.

To me, time to move on is now. I was surprised by how well he played last year, but then was totally burnt out in the playoffs. Just like he was the previous year by the time the finals rolled around (I know he had the hand injury, but he was gassed before he got injured).

This year he did not look good before the knee injury. He looks even worse now. That said, I feel he might be trying to do too much, maybe his play will pick up a bit, maybe nobody will want him, but if you can, move him.

I tore my LCL years ago, no surgery... Took 2 years to fully recovery while trying to play through it.
I'm not disagreeing with the thought of moving him, just think it'd be a tough contract to move. Not to mention I wouldn't want to be the GM to ask him to waive his NMC.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Actually his last two years are 5 & then 4 million respectively. True the AAV is 7 but the out of pocket of 5 & 4 could be appealing to a floor team. Although no matter what Z needs to approve any deals anyways.

The cap and salary stays the same now thanks to the Kovalchuk Rule.

BudMovin*

Chara should have more cache with a lot of you...he should have had surgery , but is a warrior and will hopefully be better going forward...

Agreed. I think pride is getting in the way of this happening. The dude is just too much of a warrior. The sooner we shut him down for surgery, the sooner he can prepare for next season.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The issue with dealing Chara in a cap world is that you likely have to take someone else's trash in return to make the numbers work. The fact that he's not on an expiring deal complicates things even further.

Borderline unmovable IMO.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
The issue with dealing Chara in a cap world is that you likely have to take someone else's trash in return to make the numbers work. The fact that he's not on an expiring deal complicates things even further.

Borderline unmovable IMO.

If luongo and his contract can be moved; then anybody can be moved.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Yes. All of my historical posts grilling people for their endless trade proposals really supports your assumed theory of me. Well done. Sorry for being realistic about things and for "insulting" your favorite D-man.

And...yes, his injury has affected him. That's also reality. The wear and tear on his body over the course of his career has affected him. So because these things have happened, they should subtract from our perception of him?

You have an emotional attachment to the player. It's ridiculously obvious in your post. Me criticizing PC for his handling of long-term contracts to older players turning into you saying I'm "going after Chara with a pitchfork". Give me a break. I don't mind the conversation. But, if you're not even capable of being somewhat honest and objective about the situation, I'm not going to continue it.

Right and this is a load of bollocks too. I am not a fan of any player, that stopped along time ago, probably before you were born. I root for the sweater, not any player.

You missed my sarcasm or anything I have ever posted since you think I missed all of yours. Have you read the comments on this site? It's borderline stupid everywhere you look. Everyone whining and complaining about everything. Fire this guy, trade that guy, stick a pitch fork in that one and on and on. We traded wah wah wah......

Take a deep breathe. The entire team blows this year. And I for one and not about blowing it all up just yet. I can give it one more season and than it is blow up time. You're talking about a team that was the Prez Trophy winner only a mere 1/2 a year ago and this was without everyone's pathetic hero Seguin. Chara just came in second in the Norris, he has played about 20 games or so this year and he is obviously injured. Holy **** children, calm down. This year is obviously a bridge year but you don't throw everyone off the boat in this situation. They need a few players and it's possible to get back next year. But not if you throw everyone off the boat...than it's rebuild and 5 to 10 years before we are back. Which do you prefer? One more serious go next year or 5 to 10 years down the line?

CJ is a career .630% winning coach. Boston has had maybe two or three coaches that have a record like that over 90 years. Give it a break, he's a good coach. This team sorely misses a "Horton/Iginla", a "Boychuk and a Shawn Thornton type of players. I literately think we are about 3 players away from dominating again. Maybe, a bigger fix with the 4th line too but 4th lines are easy to fix. I have never liked Paille and Campbell. They are about the only two that should be shown the door ASAP.

We can't trade Kelly now, we traded all our leadership guys. But to talk about it, I see everyone screaming about leadership and the loss of guys like Thornton and Ference, well guess what, that's what Kelly brings. I don't think Phil Espo could score with Soupy and no hands Paille on his line. So stop scapegoating Kelly. I say this as Kelly had one of the worst games I have seen him play yesterday but still, only one game

Everyone is sticking it to Lucic too. WTF, there is not a team in the league that would not snap him up. But here we are, thread after thread of Lucic bashing. Is he overpaided, yes, he is. Will that be adjusted in his next contract, I sure hope so. He's about a 4 million dollar player IMO. If we can sign him for about that, I am for keeping him. He brings too much to toss him away over this year of really bad play. Remember though, Lucic was a player w/o a line for alot of this season. No excuse, but I can relax a little on him instead of the 100s of pages of hate you read on about him.

What I said doesn't make me a FAN BOY nor a Sinden supporter (whom I despise very much) or anything else that gets thrown around here when you push back against the video game generation. But alot of you need to calm down and think. This team is only a few players from being great again, not an entire team.

Kranium

Mar 9, 2014
Arvika, Sweden
Is the knee injury the reason why he seem to not lay into a real slapshot when he has the opportunity?
Or is he afraid the stick may brake and cause a turnover? Does playmaking take a major hit because of age? Last game he seemed more into it than ever this season, atleast after the injury....but he had some plays that he missed at...like the one when Lucic is wide open on the power play late in the game, he made the play...but as usuall way to late. Its time we trade him and get the cap space open to resign a younger D man with top 4 potential. Or just get Boychuk back when he hits free agency.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The cap and salary stays the same now thanks to the Kovalchuk Rule.

The final year of his contract is 4m cap hit because of the Kovalchuk rule. If I recall correctly, the final year of his deal was not included in his cap hit. Instead all years before a certain age would be included in the cap hit and after it would be a different cap hit.

Chara's salary is 8.5, 6, 8, 7, 7, 5,
and final year 4

41.5/6 =6.917m, Chara's current cap hit

After that year his cap hit becomes his salary 4m

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Why is he being slated by some? He's suffered a substantial injury that will take time to get over. He's returned to a losing team and has been expected to 'make it all ok' even though he's clearly nowhere near 100%. Chara has been a great servant and deserves more respect. Simple as that.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Luongo is still young and he is good. Chara is ancient and he has been awful for 18 months.

I guess that 2nd place finish in the Norris voting last season was a conspiracy.

Didn't know 35 yrs old was young but 37 is ancient.

Then again you were talking about "Luke" Robitaille in a different thread, so I expect very little.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Why is he being slated by some? He's suffered a substantial injury that will take time to get over. He's returned to a losing team and has been expected to 'make it all ok' even though he's clearly nowhere near 100%. Chara has been a great servant and deserves more respect. Simple as that.

Jeezuz, this isn't about respect or guts or glory or retiring as a Bruin. All that is irrelevant.

What's important is: Is this player, any player, given their projected ability/salary/age able to help this team going forward or not?

Chara will always be loved/lauded/appreciated for his service to this team and for helping to bring a Cup back to Boston. That was something my idol, Ray Bourque, wasn't able to do.

We can sit around reminiscing about how great that was, or we can look forward to building a team capable of obtaining another Cup in the next 3-5 years. To do that, you have to think about moving and acquiring assets.

If you honestly think that Chara has more value to the team as a keystone in the quest for a new Cup, rather than as a tradeable asset that can be used to build Bruins 2.0, then we disagree. Profoundly.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I guess that 2nd place finish in the Norris voting last season was a conspiracy.

Didn't know 35 yrs old was young but 37 is ancient.

Then again you were talking about "Luke" Robitaille in a different thread, so I expect very little.

Most members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association know very little about hockey and only watch the team that they cover. That's what you get when you have hacks like Steve Simmons, Damien Cox, Greg Wyshynski, Tony Gallagher, Michael Farber, etc. doing the voting.

Luongo was 34 when he was traded. If you don't think there's a huge drop-off from 34 to 37, well you're wrong. Chara will be 38 once the Bruins are out. Good luck trading him.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
He should be shut down. He is cooked at this point but showing his true leadership and fortitude by playing in his current condition. Dude is a warrior.

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
I've said it before on this forum: Big players decline quickly. And Chara is huge. He started his career 1/2 a step behind but made up for it with his reach. When he becomes a whole step behind, the reach and size can't make up for that. It gets exponentially worse, not commensurately worse. In the blink of an eye, in career terms, he becomes a pylon. Add in the injury and it's not looking good for the Big Guy.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
you gotta think that he has value come trade deadline.. value is only going to continue to decline, and rather steeply too.. gotta get something for him .. this year is the year to trade him.. lucic (sign and trade) +chara +subban plus first rounder for hall and marincin..

time for a big shakeup . lineup has gotten stale and getting old (figuratively and literally)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->