Zdeno Chara

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Posts like this exemplify the type of in-the-box thinking that prevents organizations from moving forward. It's not a personal attack thing with Chara, it's an assessment of where he is, and where he's likely to be in the near to medium term. The point is that too many here look at Chara and see a tough, shutdown, 100 mph shooting, physical, mobile Norris quality dman. He was those things once, but he's not now. And, the odds are that he won't ever be again.

Agreed, when's the last time you even seen Chara take wind up for a huge slapper? 3-4 years ago at the all star game is prolly the answer. He's getting beat wide a lot even with his reach this year & making bad plays (pinching way deep on a PK today leading to a 3 on 1 today for example) He's still a solid Dman but for the rest of his career I can guarantee he won't be in the running or even talked about for the Norris.

LyndonByers

Nov 1, 2006
My biggest concern with the current roster is Chara. I realize he is coming off injury but he is 37 yrs od. He looks horrible out there. Slow & handles the puck even worse then before. Guys are flying by him wide, he can't pivot. Given the age, yrs left on contract & his salary it could get real ugly over the next few yrs.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
After this Season, assuming that Chara is still a Bruin, I'd be asking him to take a pay cut for the sake of team. Meaning that the Bruins would like to respect that he finishes his career as a Bruin, but that without the pay cut he's hurting the team and they might have to take other steps to deal with that.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm guessing that he ends up getting surgery on his knee after the season. He just doesn't look comfortable or healthy. Always seems to be favoring his hurt knee, especially when hitting someone. Slow to get up too. While he's certainly slowed down over the years, I think this drop off in play is really due to him trying to play through an injury that needs more than rest. The big question is whether he can get even close to what he was before, given his age and lack of speed.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'm guessing that he ends up getting surgery on his knee after the season. He just doesn't look comfortable or healthy. Always seems to be favoring his hurt knee, especially when hitting someone. Slow to get up too. While he's certainly slowed down over the year, I think this is really due to him trying to play through an injury that needs more than rest.

Yep.

This type of injury/tear doesn't heal per say. You rest it, let it settle down and essentially hope it doesn't re-aggravate and tear further.

Every time he gets tangled up funny or is slow to get up I hold my breath. It will be a long recovery for Chara regardless of surgery or not. He may never return to full form. It's a pretty devastating injury for a defenseman who will be 38 and relies heavily on training hard to stave off aging.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Chara needs to be dealt probably at the deadline we could easily have a few teams in a bidding war and net a first round pick, good prospect and decent roster player.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Chara needs to be dealt probably at the deadline we could easily have a few teams in a bidding war and net a first round pick, good prospect and decent roster player.

I totally agree with you. Deal him now that he still holds some great value. We still will get a ton for him.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
After this Season, assuming that Chara is still a Bruin, I'd be asking him to take a pay cut for the sake of team. Meaning that the Bruins would like to respect that he finishes his career as a Bruin, but that without the pay cut he's hurting the team and they might have to take other steps to deal with that.

I would hope he takes a pay cut in 4 years when his contract is up...

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Last year Chara and this year Chara are totally different. Last year he was a top 5 guy and all the advanced stats bear that out.

This year he is obviously not playing up to his standards. He isn't the first player to have trouble coming back from a knee injury mid-season, at any age. He (and Siedenberg, and Bergeron, and Rask, and Lucic) may well be cooked, but to come gloat after a ten game post injury sample size is ridiculous.

Every time people talk about Chara, it's "he hasn't been good these last ten games or so". I've seriously been seeing this around the boards for 2+ years now. People just refuse to admit that his performance is something other than anomaly and instead the reality of getting old and being ****ing huge.

I'm not even trying to attack Chara anyways. I'm going after PC. I think he made moves an older, more experienced GM might not make in locking up aging players long-term, and with NTC's to boot. It's not about criticizing the games of these individual players...it's about the GM doing things that myself, some others, and a professional general manager should have seen coming.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

Taking a pay cut isnt allowed. Or if it was its never been done considering the team has no leverage. There are no steps to deal with it besides waiving him and hoping another team picks him up. He cant be traded and he cant take a pay cut. We are stuck with hin for better or wirse

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Taking a pay cut isnt allowed. Or if it was its never been done considering the team has no leverage. There are no steps to deal with it besides waiving him and hoping another team picks him up. He cant be traded and he cant take a pay cut. We are stuck with hin for better or wirse

He just put new windows in his condo so he ain't waiving anything!!

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Yeah that's way cool I mean Chara only came in second on the Norris last year but now we have to hate him and stop worshiping him because well this year and after 35 games, he stinks. Nevermind his injury, or everyone on the Bs have stunk it up this year. Nah, lets pull out our pitchforks and chase Chara out of town....

.....you know because anyone that says anything good about Chara or gives him a pass after 15 years of elite play is a Harry Sinden worshiper.

If only real hockey was like your xbox hockey, you could just trade everyone away.

Yes. All of my historical posts grilling people for their endless trade proposals really supports your assumed theory of me. Well done. Sorry for being realistic about things and for "insulting" your favorite D-man.

And...yes, his injury has affected him. That's also reality. The wear and tear on his body over the course of his career has affected him. So because these things have happened, they should subtract from our perception of him?

You have an emotional attachment to the player. It's ridiculously obvious in your post. Me criticizing PC for his handling of long-term contracts to older players turning into you saying I'm "going after Chara with a pitchfork". Give me a break. I don't mind the conversation. But, if you're not even capable of being somewhat honest and objective about the situation, I'm not going to continue it.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Every time people talk about Chara, it's "he hasn't been good these last ten games or so". I've seriously been seeing this around the boards for 2+ years now. People just refuse to admit that his performance is something other than anomaly and instead the reality of getting old and being ****ing huge.

I'm not even trying to attack Chara anyways. I'm going after PC. I think he made moves an older, more experienced GM might not make in locking up aging players long-term, and with NTC's to boot. It's not about criticizing the games of these individual players...it's about the GM doing things that myself, some others, and a professional general manager should have seen coming.

Just 100% disagree on Chara play last year. He was excellent. Unless you think Boychuk was 1990 Ray Bourque, I'd like to hear your reasoning on why the team was so much better defensively last year if not for the difference in the health of Charas knee.

Chicago has more NTCs than Boston and LA has all their guys signed until like 2022. the market is what it is. Show me one team with nothing but smart team friendly deals.

BudMovin*

Just 100% disagree on Chara play last year. He was excellent. Unless you think Boychuk was 1990 Ray Bourque, I'd like to hear your reasoning on why the team was so much better defensively last year if not for the difference in the health of Charas knee.

Chicago has more NTCs than Boston and LA has all their guys signed until like 2022. the market is what it is. Show me one team with nothing but smart team friendly deals.

Islanders have tons of good signings that are team friendly. I'm sure they have a few anchors though.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

To answer your last inquiry: the Montreal Canadiens. All of their long term contracts are to young, rising players they plan on keeping in the organization. If CapGeek was still a thing, I'd find some other ones too. Their GM has also made "thinking-ahead" moves like moving Moen for Gonchar which do not give them a decided advantage currently, but do in the future. This is what PC is not doing.

And, Chara certainly has gone down further this year. The team was good defensively because their system as a whole was working much more efficiently. Sure, losing Boychuk hurt...but the offense and goaltending both being significantly better is a huge factor in good defensive play. Even though I was fine with him not coming back, I'm sure a guy like Iginla on the first line made a difference when it came to defense, instead of the revolving door of young, inexperienced players.

I still fail to understand how people can't see my questions relating to Chara as ultimate questions on the GM's handling of the situation, and not some accusating of "Chara failing the team". Oh right, it's because people refuse to separate what is from what was.

If things were my way, I'd dump Seidenberg for even minimal value over Chara. I don't have something out for Chara. I just think we have to move away from the old core at some point. We're not going to get anywhere until we do. And these people that are clamoring for moves yet refuse to even give a thought to touching one of these aging core pieces, are in my opinion, out to a very long lunch.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I totally agree with you. Deal him now that he still holds some great value. We still will get a ton for him.

That is my thinking too, he still holds value around the league and some teams that are contenders or on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time in a while may want to add someone like Chara for the extra push they may need.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

if this was the NFL you are on to something but it cant happen in the NHL

remer

Oct 18, 2005
What teams would take on Chara and his salary for the next 4 years?

Almost every playoff team. He can take a team and push them over the top and win a cup. Boston is not a Cup team this year. Time to rid the team of the contract, while receiving some talent and high draft picks.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Almost every playoff team. He can take a team and push them over the top and win a cup. Boston is not a Cup team this year. Time to rid the team of the contract, while receiving some talent and high draft picks.
I think what he means is, what contender has 7 million in cap space to spare and is okay with taking a 38 year old for 4 more years? Or what rebuilding team with cap space wants to spend 7million on an old player who won't be around long.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think what he means is, what contender has 7 million in cap space to spare and is okay with taking a 38 year old for 4 more years? Or what rebuilding team with cap space wants to spend 7million on an old player who won't be around long.

Actually his last two years are 5 & then 4 million respectively. True the AAV is 7 but the out of pocket of 5 & 4 could be appealing to a floor team. Although no matter what Z needs to approve any deals anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad