Prospect Info: Yakimov ready to play in the AHL

longy85

Oct 24, 2009
Let's put yak2 on the 4th line right wing and let him be mentored and play with Gordon. If yak2 can turn in to a 6'5 230 pound Gordon we have ourselves a beast of a player. He won't be ready for NHL centre position, but this way we don't have two rookies playing centre for us either too (because I think drai will get one of the open centre spots)

McDeathbyCheerios*

Let's put yak2 on the 4th line right wing and let him be mentored and play with Gordon. If yak2 can turn in to a 6'5 230 pound Gordon we have ourselves a beast of a player. He won't be ready for NHL centre position, but this way we don't have two rookies playing centre for us either too (because I think drai will get one of the open centre spots)
I honestly wouldn't mind this Gordon would be a great mentor for him and could turn into a more offensively 3rd line Gordon

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I'm still hoping Big Yak gets sent to the AHL, I think a few months down there adjusting to the NA game could really help get his confidence up.
This is just silly he has been producing at over a ppg clip even strength since being in Oilers silks . His confidence is just fine right now. He will be one of the last cuts if sent down I want to see him against a full NHL roster.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I hope he gets some AHL games. Let Lander take his spot for now.

He can play 1c minutes in OKC with solid linemates and develop scoring even more.

For a big guy, he sure is scoring at a good rate here.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I don't know why more people seem to be excited over TKachev than Yak2. Yakimov has been excellent and I went to see him in Penticton he has more speed and better hands than I ever imagined. He even split the D on this one rush. Plus he's a behemoth. He also showed great playmaking ability setting up guys and making passes I didn't know he had in his repertoire.

Yakimov could be a steal but I don't trust anything this organization does after 1st overall picks.

Based on his play alone he deserves a further look and possibility to make the Oilers I say.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I don't know why more people seem to be excited over TKachev than Yak2. Yakimov has been excellent and I went to see him in Penticton he has more speed and better hands than I ever imagined. He even split the D on this one rush. Plus he's a behemoth. He also showed great playmaking ability setting up guys and making passes I didn't know he had in his repertoire.

Yakimov could be a steal but I don't trust anything this organization does after 1st overall picks.

Based on his play alone he deserves a further look and possibility to make the Oilers I say.

I think Yak is by far the better prospect of the two. If Vladdy Hockey adds three inches and 40 pounds, it may be different.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Earlier on, somebody posted a suggestion that Yakimov play on Gordon's wing, if they don't think he's ready to play center.

I like this idea, even though he has played far better than any of the other marginal players contending for a spot at center.

I have seen Yak2 interviewed on OilersTV. He can barely speak English. In fact, let me be blunt: he can't speak English. Sending him off to Oklahoma, where he doesn't know anybody, and won't really be able to communicate with anybody, is just a bad idea. He's buddies with Yakupov, who could show him the ropes a bit, so he would fit in better in Edmonton. He needs to work on his skating and physical play, and would be best off doing that here with our coaches.

Yak2 is 6'5", 232lbs, and only 19 years old. We need this guy, and can't afford a stupid managerial mistake here that costs us a player. One that is easily avoided.

Once he's got some more experience, move him to center.

In fact, let's see him play center with some NHL players on his line for the rest of camp. He's had nothing but a steady diet of guys in junior, on tryouts, and career AHLers. Let's see Nail Yakupov on his line.

Last edited:

McDeathbyCheerios*

Earlier on, somebody posted a suggestion that Yakimov play on Gordon's wing, if they don't think he's ready to play center.

I like this idea, even though he has played far better than any of the other marginal players contending for a spot at center.

I have seen Yak2 interviewed on OilersTV. He can barely speak English. In fact, let me be blunt: he can't speak English. Sending him off to Oklahoma, where he doesn't know anybody, and won't really be able to communicate with anybody, is just a bad idea. He's buddies with Yakupov, who could show him the ropes a bit, so he would fit in better in Edmonton. He needs to work on his skating and physical play, and would be best off doing that here with our coaches.

Yak2 is 6'5", 232lbs, and only 19 years old. We need this guy, and can't afford a stupid managerial mistake here that costs us a player. One that is easily avoided.

In fact, let's see him play center with some NHL players on his line for the rest of camp. He's had nothing but a steady diet of guys in junior, on tryouts, and career AHLers. Let's see Nail Yakupov on his line.
I think it is amazing how he still looks good with anyone and can't even speak with them. That's a good sign of a good hockey iq

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I hope he gets some AHL games. Let Lander take his spot for now.

He can play 1c minutes in OKC with solid linemates and develop scoring even more.

For a big guy, he sure is scoring at a good rate here.
Big problem last season was secondary scoring. How the hell is Lander going to help address that? He's like Jason Krog or Alex Giroux; great AHL player but just can't put it together in the NHL

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Hmmm... I sorta completely disagree with this. If he makes it, GREAT. But I would not have our bright light for a big, complementary 2/3C learning the ropes at wing.

Give him AND Drai their 8-9 games and then decide. If Yak2 isn't sticking, he goes to the A.

He also has great chemistry with Tchakev (sp?). Let the two of them bond down in OKC and let Yak2 play his natural position.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Big problem last season was secondary scoring. How the hell is Lander going to help address that? He's like Jason Krog or Alex Giroux; great AHL player but just can't put it together in the NHL

You could put Arcobello in that category as well. In fact, Krog was a better player than Arco.

Krog could really shoot the puck. Arco can't, and will never score in the NHL for that reason alone, never mind his average speed, and tiny size.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
You could put Arcobello in that category as well. In fact, Krog was a better player than Arco.

Krog could really shoot the puck. Arco can't, and will never score in the NHL for that reason alone, never mind his average speed, and tiny size.
Yet, Arcobello has twice as many goals in half the amount of games. I don't mind Arco just not as the 2C

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Yet, Arcobello has twice as many goals in half the amount of games. I don't mind Arco just not as the 2C

He does?

I haven't added it up, but I don't think Arco's career total even matches what Krog did in college ...

... never mind the AHL, where Krog still holds a scoring record, I believe, and 22 NHL goals in 202 games to Arco's 4 in 41, even though Arco was playing in the top 6.

Their NHL goals per game are roughly the same, but we'll see if Arco can sustain that. After all, he pretty much dried up offensively in his last 25 games or so.

Krog was also pretty good in Europe, in his mid-thirties. I found this on Youtube. He still shoots the puck better than most of our forwards:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
He does?

I haven't added it up, but I don't think Arco's career total even matches what Krog did in college ...

... never mind the AHL, where Krog still holds a scoring record, I believe, and 22 NHL goals in 202 games to Arco's 4 in 41, even though Arco was playing in the top 6.

Their NHL goals per game are roughly the same, but we'll see if Arco can sustain that. After all, he pretty much dried up offensively in his last 25 games or so.

Krog was also pretty good in Europe, in his mid-thirties. I found this on Youtube. He still shoots the puck better than most of our forwards:

That's a bit of an overstatement isn't it?

My memory said Arcobello played top six only until Gags came back and after that played on the 3rd/4th line. Dobber hockey agrees with me if you look at the season splits at the bottom of Arco's profile:
http://hockey.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?players=2857&sent=go&games=2013-2014:R

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
That's a bit of an overstatement isn't it?

My memory said Arcobello played top six only until Gags came back and after that played on the 3rd/4th line. Dobber hockey agrees with me if you look at the season splits at the bottom of Arco's profile:
http://hockey.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_profiler.php?players=2857&sent=go&games=2013-2014:R

Well, if I'm reading your link correctly, it says the following:

He played 41 games, and his most common linemates were:

35.3% HEMSKY,A - PERRON,D
19.4% EBERLE,J - HALL,T
17% EBERLE,J - PERRON,D
15.6% EBERLE,J - YAKUPOV,N
12.7% EBERLE,J - SMYTH,R

That doesn't make much sense.

A better source is stats.hockeyanalysis.com. It breaks it down individually and says:

32% Perron
28% Eberle
26% Hemsky
21% Yakupov
18% Smyth
16% Hall
14% Jones
10% Gordon

The rest are all less than 10%, so I didn't bother with them.

I would say these players are for the most part top six players, and are all better offensively than Arcobello - even Jones and Gordon.

He was playing with some talent. Yes, he got demoted, but he wasn't doing enough to stay in the top six.

Have you figured out what Homesick is talking about when he says "Arcobello has twice as many goals in half the amount of games"? Since you're into "overstatements", I'm sure you must have flagged that one as an issue ...

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=730366

I'm not sure I'd phrase it that he can't speak English, he just might be like how Yak was last year and didn't feel comfortable speaking in a public setting with microphones in his face. One on one, I bet he understands more than you'd think.

And if you watched one of Yakupov's recent interviews, he's already been showing Boggle the ropes for a while now...in fact, Yakupov said jokingly that he had to tell him something along the lines of "I'm done translating for you, go out on your own and find things out." :laugh:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

It's for the greater good.

Let Yakimov develop so we have a really good 3c, or even top 6 guy, in the future.

Sandwich Lander between Perron and somebody and hope lander is average or doesn't kill the line too much.

Even 20 AHL games could be good for yak2

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

19.4% EBERLE,J - HALL,T
17% EBERLE,J - PERRON,D
12.7% EBERLE,J - SMYTH,R

A better source is stats.hockeyanalysis.com. It breaks it down individually and says:

32% Perron
28% Eberle
26% Hemsky
21% Yakupov
18% Smyth
16% Hall
14% Jones
10% Gordon

I would say these players are for the most part top six players, and are all better offensively than Arcobello - even Jones and Gordon.

He was playing with some talent. Yes, he got demoted, but he wasn't doing enough to stay in the top six.

Have you figured out what Homesick is talking about when he says "Arcobello has twice as many goals in half the amount of games"? Since you're into "overstatements", I'm sure you must have flagged that one as an issue ...

Yes, but his minutes also drastically reduced when he was sent down to the bottom six, so of course his percentage with those players would be less.

That's why my favorite breakdown of Arco's season is this one, which gives a game by game approach: http://lowetide.ca/blog/2014/07/arco-2c-word-and-music-by-woodguy.html

Arco was playing with bottom sixers over half of his season (game wise, not minute wise) and taking some of the hardest quality of opposition assignments in that time.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=730366

I'm not sure I'd phrase it that he can't speak English, he just might be like how Yak was last year and didn't feel comfortable speaking in a public setting with microphones in his face. One on one, I bet he understands more than you'd think.

And if you watched one of Yakupov's recent interviews, he's already been showing Boggle the ropes for a while now...in fact, Yakupov said jokingly that he had to tell him something along the lines of "I'm done translating for you, go out on your own and find things out." :laugh:

Yakupov said the oilers didn't want him and Yak2 to hang out all the time because of Russian connection so Yak2 can experience NA life more and learn English

Can always sign a depth AHL Russian speaking guy

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

19.4% EBERLE,J - HALL,T
17% EBERLE,J - PERRON,D
12.7% EBERLE,J - SMYTH,R

32% Perron
28% Eberle
26% Hemsky
21% Yakupov
18% Smyth
16% Hall
14% Jones
10% Gordon

Yeah, I didn't quite remember who Jason Krog was until I wandered into your argument, but I have a hard time imagining Arcobello having twice as many goals as anybody.

But... he does do a lot of little things right and protects the puck well. That tends to result in "not killing the play" and if you play with reasonably talented players, protect and keep the puck without killing the play... well you will get points.

As for the Dobber link... it's a high quality page and helpful because it breaks down *actual* line mates and by quarter. Perhaps you didn't read far enough down the play, where it shows the quarter by quarter breakdown. I'll summarize it:

1st Quarter:
* 12 points in 20 games
* 10 of those points in the first 10 games thru the last week of Oct
* (not on the page, but NHL.com shows that Sam Gagner also arrived back at the end of Oct)
* Most commonly on a line with Hemsky and Perron, second most common line mates Eberle and Hall

2nd Quarter:
* 4 points in 11 games
* Spend 24% of his time on a line with Hemmer & Hall... but didn't get any EV points while on that line... must have been a slump
* Spent the rest of his time Joensuu, Jones, Smyth and a struggling Yakupov. Hardly top-six, even on our team

3rd Quarter:
* 2 points in 10 games. Struggling and looks as though the hot streak was long gone
* Even playing with Eberle and Yakupov he didn't pick up any points (but what kind of buttery soft line is that anyway????)
* Picked up his only points playing with Gazdic/Jones and Hemsky/Perron

So... what I take from this? The guy was clearly playing well in the first 10-15 games of the season. He was putting up points and making the most of his opportunity with talented players. When Gagner came back, he moved down a few slots and stopped producing. Not only is this not rocket science, it meets my "eye" test, having watched the majority of these games.

In the second quarter he was in a slump clearly... and in the third quarter he reinforced a lack of production... was he pouting from the wrongful demotion? Keyed in on after the hot start? Just a regular slump? Don't know... what I didn't realize (I'd reduced my attention by then) was that he still got a decent amount of time with reasonable line mates and didn't do much with it.

Lesson: don't mess with chemistry... let a hot streak continue... and don't expect consistency from first year players.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm still hoping Big Yak gets sent to the AHL, I think a few months down there adjusting to the NA game could really help get his confidence up.

Solid point. Playing 1st line 5x5 minutes in OKC and in all other important situations would really round out his game and add some confidence. He would then be a lot more prepared to step into the NHL.

Heres hoping the team plays it smart with Yakimov and does just what you're suggesting.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Yes, but his minutes also drastically reduced when he was sent down to the bottom six, so of course his percentage with those players would be less.

That's why my favorite breakdown of Arco's season is this one, which gives a game by game approach: http://lowetide.ca/blog/2014/07/arco-2c-word-and-music-by-woodguy.html

Arco was playing with bottom sixers over half of his season (game wise, not minute wise) and taking some of the hardest quality of opposition assignments in that time.

No, he wasn't. Here's a direct quote from the article you link to:

To see how Arco did in a “top 6 role” I went through all the games and removed the ones where one of Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, Perron, and Yak (even though he had a bad year) wasn’t among his top 2 line mates for the game. If his line mates were Perron-Joensuu I still considered that a top 6 role due to Perron’s presence.
This left us with 29 games where he played with “Top 6/9” talent.

So, 29 of 41 games playing with at least one of Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, Perron, or Yak. That leaves only 12 of 41 where he didn't have one of those players on his line.

These are all offensive players. Hall and Eberle are amongst the top scorers in the league.

Arco spent the vast majority of the year playing with good offensive players. 29 of 41 games, and big minutes during those games by your own admission.

The article quoted doesn't mention "quality of competition", but everyone who watched the season knows that Gordon and Nuge were playing against the other teams top lines for the most part.

They can't all be playing against the "hardest quality of opposition".

Lowetide does mention zone starts, and his table confirms that Arcobello got easy offensive zone starts relative to the rest of the team (23 out of 41 games) - mostly when he was playing bigger minutes in the top 6, with the team's best players.

BTW, you may want to read Lowetide's rating of Zack Stortini before you start quoting him as an authority on anything related to hockey - because the same sort of arguments he's using in this article, were used on his blog to prove "Zorg" was some sort of 2-way stud hockey player. :laugh:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Hmmm... I sorta completely disagree with this. If he makes it, GREAT. But I would not have our bright light for a big, complementary 2/3C learning the ropes at wing.

Give him AND Drai their 8-9 games and then decide. If Yak2 isn't sticking, he goes to the A.

He also has great chemistry with Tchakev (sp?). Let the two of them bond down in OKC and let Yak2 play his natural position.

Tkachev, if signed, will return to the QMJHL. The 9 game rule only applies to 18/19 year olds returning to the CHL so Yakimov can be called up and sent down during the season and won't be exposed to waivers.

He should get a few games to start the season at 3C and if he looks out of place or exposed then send him down to have him getting those big minutes. With our depth at C he will likely be called up at least once during the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad