Prospect Info: Yakimov ready to play in the AHL

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yakimov moves up the depth chart tonight even tho he didn't play.

Still a lot of preseason left hot.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Yakimov should stay in the AHL. At the NHL level he is just going to get shut down by real NHL defenses (Tkachev isn't going to dangle through two NHL forwards to get him clean looks), in the AHL he can build his confidence and timing.

If we rush him I worry we might "Lander" him ... turn him into a guy who has no offensive confidence.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
You can accept older guys who have been in the nhl...taking the preseason easy...especially having seen peers get injured for meaningless games and have their entire seasons wasted.

But for lander and arco...two guys that were given a golden opportunity...to arrive and lay steaming piles? Well that says to me they are out. You can afford guys with track records a free pass. Ahl is not a track record.

If i am GM i am waiving arco and has one way contract. If it bites me...it bites me but i am not handing himan nhl spot on the coiler he left for me to see.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I think Yakimov should stay in the AHL. At the NHL level he is just going to get shut down by real NHL defenses (Tkachev isn't going to dangle through two NHL forwards to get him clean looks), in the AHL he can build his confidence and timing.

If we rush him I worry we might "Lander" him ... turn him into a guy who has no offensive confidence.

I don't buy the "he was rushed" stuff. Lander is perfectly fine offensively in the AHL, but could never quite get it together in the NHL. That's Lander's problem imo and has little to do with being rushed. There are plenty of players who can never quite get it enough for the NHL.

Yakimov may also not be an ordinary case, I think he needs some further evaluation. I think he'll get a few regular season games early tbh.

jack22

Sep 25, 2007
Been round for a LONG time, but I never post

HUGE Oilers fan - I am not even sure if Arcobello would be claimed off waivers - he's been patient and it should pay off but Yakimov has been flat out better.

Tonight's game (as someone else mentioned) is just to Yakimovs advantage.

Yakimov should be on starting roster

Peace

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
HUGE Oilers fan - I am not even sure if Arcobello would be claimed off waivers - he's been patient and it should pay off but Yakimov has been flat out better.
He wouldn't. Its hilarious seeing people post that we need to send Yakimov to the AHL in order to "protect" Arcobello from getting plucked off waivers.
Please tell me what team in the NHL needs a 5'7" scrub who can't hit the broad side of a barn with his AHL shot.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
RNH
Gordon
Yakimov
Draisaitl
Arcobello
Lander

That's the order I'd have the centre depth on the team right now.

Sad that the 3rd best guy has never played an NHL game... the 4th best is fresh out of Junior and hasn't played a single NHL game either... and the two "vets" at #5/#6 on the depth chart have a grand total of 26 pts in 136 NHL games between them.

That's gotta be the worst centre depth in history. :)

Gordon looks like he's going to have to chip in more offense than expected because depending on 2 rookies and 2 AHL/Tweeners for offense isn't looking too promising so far.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
RNH
Gordon
Yakimov
Draisaitl
Arcobello
Lander

That's the order I'd have the centre depth on the team right now.

Sad that the 3rd best guy has never played an NHL game... the 4th best is fresh out of Junior and hasn't played a single NHL game either... and the two "vets" at #5/#6 on the depth chart have a grand total of 26 pts in 136 NHL games between them.

That's gotta be the worst centre depth in history. :)

Gordon looks like he's going to have to chip in more offense than expected because depending on 2 rookies and 2 AHL/Tweeners for offense isn't looking too promising so far.

Mact better have a trade lined up.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Gordon is going to have to do some Herculean lifting on this team to cover up for the weaknesses down the middle.

He'll probably set a new NHL record for highest % of defensive zone time.

Let's not even approach the scenario of what happens if RNH or Gordon go down to injury for an extended period.

Season over by the time the Micheal Myers masks come out.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
I really want to see what Yakimov can do with NHL wingers against some tougher competition towards the end of preseason. Like he is physically ready. He also has good positioning and can keep up with the speed of the game. Question for me as with everyone else is can he do this against NHL competition? I would rather him be in the AHL honestly but with the way he has played so far its hard not to give him consideration for that 2/3C slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad