Prospect Info: Yakimov ready to play in the AHL

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
There's no way he can be 231, that's beastly. I've seen him and he looks huge, but cut. Most 230 guys are beefy will extra fat.

His first game was decent, but it's still his first time playing NA size ice, so there's an adjustment.

I've always thought he'd force his way into the NHL very soon, and am sticking to it. Full tourney plus preseason games and 15 or so all games and he gets the call.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yakimov is probably one of the reasons MacT is holding off on the trigger to get a marginal C from elsewhere. Between Arcobello, Draisaitl and later Yakimov he likely figures they have enough to fill out the roster this year.

Last edited:

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Yakimov is NHL ready imho. This is coming from a nucks fan who has been a huge fan of him for a long time. You guys have a good one. Enjoy :)

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Not NHL ready yet, but wouldn't be surprised if he was a trade deadline callup. He needs to adjust to the NA type of hockey, learn better english and work on his skills, so the AHL will do him a world of good.
Very impressed though, judging by reports, he was slow and not as skilled.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Yakimov is NHL ready imho. This is coming from a nucks fan who has been a huge fan of him for a long time. You guys have a good one. Enjoy :)

He's got the skill, size and talent, but the NA schedule is tough for a lot of Euros during their 1st season. At least half a season in the AHL would do him good.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
He's got the skill, size and talent, but the NA schedule is tough for a lot of Euros during their 1st season. At least half a season in the AHL would do him good.

I said the same thing on the main boards. Start in the AHL , then he'll get called up and never look back.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think we're all really high on him... but we have to keep in mind this is 2 games vs a bunch of players who (mostly) have never played an NHL game... and that haven't played in a hockey game in months.

Obviously Yakimov needs some time vs pro opponents in the AHL to get acclimatized to the NA ice/pace/physicality.

Coming from the KHL where he's already played vs men he may not have too long of a transition period... but he still needs some time to get into the systems and style of play over here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I said the same thing on the main boards. Start in the AHL , then he'll get called up and never look back.

Honestly if it's a conditioning issue wouldn't he be better off in the NHL to start and then once he is getting tired go down to the easier competition?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Yakimov and Draisaitl are going to be in the NHL, it'll have to be for the 3C spot. 2C is most likely getting the toughest minutes. Neither are ready for that task.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Yakimov and Draisaitl are going to be in the NHL, it'll have to be for the 3C spot. 2C is most likely getting the toughest minutes. Neither are ready for that task.

I agree and i figure that Yakimov should go to the AHL for sure. Its amazing that we have an opportunity to send a second year prospect to the AHL. If we were forced to send him to junior then i might think twice about it if he had a great camp

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Not NHL ready yet, but wouldn't be surprised if he was a trade deadline callup. He needs to adjust to the NA type of hockey, learn better english and work on his skills, so the AHL will do him a world of good.
Very impressed though, judging by reports, he was slow and not as skilled.

:shakehead

Oh c'mon. Yakimov can learn English just as well in the NHL.

Where's yer head at bro?

:sarcasm:

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
This is good news I have been impressed with Yakimovs play in the young stars preseason games. Hopefully with some more training with OKC maybe he'll be a full time Oiler. The thought of him on our 3rd or 4th line sounds pretty awesome to me.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
So his is BFF with Nichushkin.. Another reason why we shouldve drafted him over Nurse.
:)
His better BFF is yak they grew up together and spend time training back in their home town. We be fine lol

Also yakupov is a good guy... Told yak to live with a billet instead of him so he would learn English faster lol.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
His better BFF is yak they grew up together and spend time training back in their home town. We be fine lol

Also yakupov is a good guy... Told yak to live with a billet instead of him so he would learn English faster lol.

Off topic but there is a difference between growing up with the coach's son who is year and bit older than you and a BFF
" In that game Valeri [Nichushkin] scored his first goal in the playoffs and I was happy as I scored myself (laughs). I talk with him every day and if I’ll need some advice, I’ll definitely ask him."

I am not letting it go! Nurse is great but Nichusk-Yak-Yak :nod:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Off topic but there is a difference between growing up with the coach's son who is year and bit older than you and a BFF
" In that game Valeri [Nichushkin] scored his first goal in the playoffs and I was happy as I scored myself (laughs). I talk with him every day and if I’ll need some advice, I’ll definitely ask him."

I am not letting it go! Nurse is great but Nichusk-Yak-Yak :nod:

Didn't Yak just say that him and Yakimov spent most the summer together? Training and went to Turkey or something?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
After watching both Yak2 and Draisaitl live this weekend, I would put Yak2 as the favourite to grab an NHL job if we have to decide between those 2. Draisaitl has more skill and creativity, but I thought Yak2's skating was a bit better, and he's more mature in his decision making (which should be expected of a guy who played pro). Draisaitl tried to force a lot of plays through the center of the ice that led to odd man rushes the other way.

As for possible linemates, I'd like to see Pouliot and Yak on his wings. Possession player with wheels to retrieve and start the cycle, and a trigger man to finish off the cycle.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

Not just the schedule but also how the game is played and the ice. Can't wait go see him in preseason!

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
sigh, the Young Stars tourney is meaningless. Let's see how he does when actual Oiler players, and then.... actual NHL players in the exhibition games.

Some people don't understand this! Main camp and preseason will decide why happens to him this season.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
I would like to see the chemistry between the 2 Yaks, now !!!...yak attack !!

Put Perron with them.

Leon can stay too, Gordon could spell any one of these 2 if they get in trouble.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

AHL is a good place to get acclimatized to the North American game, but from a conditioning point of view I actually think the AHL is probably more tiring. The AHL in general is full of a lot of grinders and fighters with splashes of skill here and there, it's actually the more physical and chippy league out of the two IMO. Also the AHL does a lot of 3 games in 3 nights kind of stuff, mostly playing on the weekend it's give a longer stretch for recovery, but that heavy workload over a short time period is a real shock to the system. Yakimov will clearly be getting a lot more ice time in the AHL then the NHL so that should not be forgotten.

Then the 2nd half of conditioning is recovering from the strain you've put your body through and the NHL provides a much better support system looking after you and letting you recuperate. I'm guessing the AHL team doesn't have a personal massage therapist, catered healthy food choices, or even half the fringe benefits that NHL players are provided to provide the body everything it needs to heal up.

If Yakimov is going to hit the conditioning wall in the NHL, he will in all likelyhood hit that same wall in the AHL, it's just no one will really notice cause most people don't pay attention to the AHL that closely.

The best justification to send Yakimov down is he is having trouble keeping up with the speed of the NHL game or they think he has high offensive upside and would be better served honing his offensive game in the AHL where the closing speed is just a little slower to give you that extra 1/2 second to make a play.

I'd still like to see Yakimov play in 2 exhibition games where the rosters are more closely resembling actual NHL rosters, before rushing to judgement on him. Also with him being exempt from waivers and us having 3 players (Lander, Pitlick, & Arcobello) who are waiver eligible, I'm thinking he is going to have to straight-up outplay atleast 2 of the 3 to make the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad