Prospect Info: Yakimov ready to play in the AHL

dobiezeke*

This is just silly he has been producing at over a ppg clip even strength since being in Oilers silks . His confidence is just fine right now. He will be one of the last cuts if sent down I want to see him against a full NHL roster.

He has played against Junior/players competing for an AHL job in his two games. Good grief - let the guy learn the game in OKC. This board kills me in how people complain about guys being rushed into the league yet want any player that shows a flash of talent in two early preseason game to play in the NHL.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
He has played against Junior/players competing for an AHL job in his two games. Good grief - let the guy learn the game in OKC. This board kills me in how people complain about guys being rushed into the league yet want any player that shows a flash of talent in two early preseason game to play in the NHL.

There's nothing wrong with giving Yakimov 9 games if he keeps up his play.

dobiezeke*

There's nothing wrong with giving Yakimov 9 games if he keeps up his play.

I don't disagree with you. If he continues to play the way he has for the rest of the preseason as competition gets tougher than give him 9 games...even though he doesn't fall into that category.

Let him go to OKC and learn how to play North American hockey which includes back to back games and tougher competition.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Experience against NHL teams? He can use the pace and experience to bring down to the AHL this season.

The point I was trying to make is that the 9 game rule doesnt apply to Yakimov.

That being the case one could also make an argument that the pre-season will give Yakimov the notes necessary to show him what facets he needs to work on in the AHL. Progressive experience has more value IMO.
It also doesnt hurt the teams start by playing yet another completely inexperienced player the first 9 games.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
If he is ready for the NHL then you keep him up so far so good . Lets not forget he is 6'5 230 lbs so he is physically ready . He also has already a year in a pro league where he produced just fine as well. We also have 2 center ice spots open. If he is not ready send him to OKC no prob but to say he is not ready just because of age is stupid. At the same time we have posters all for Draisaitl starting in the NHL and sorry Yakimov has been leaps and bounds ahead of him. And my original post was about confidence if scoring a ppg even strength against his competition has not given him confidence what will :shakehead I want to also add Yakimov has put up better numbers in the same leagues his good buddy Nichuskin played for and he played last year in the nhl. Yakimov has had a extra year in the khl than Nichuskin

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If he is ready for the NHL then you keep him up so far so good . Lets not forget he is 6'5 230 lbs so he is physically ready . He also has already a year in a pro league where he produced just fine as well. We also have 2 center ice spots open. If he is not ready send him to OKC no prob but to say he is not ready just because of age is stupid. At the same time we have posters all for Draisaitl starting in the NHL and sorry Yakimov has been leaps and bounds ahead of him. And my original post was about confidence if scoring a ppg even strength against his competition has not given him confidence what will :shakehead

IF he is ready for the NHL????

Lets see...Yakimov is 19 years old so despite his physical 'size' the space between his ears is is still 19 yeas old.

He also has virtually NO North American experience to fall back on.

So with those realities in mind why are you so opposed to easing him into NA pro hockey?

Based on a suspiciously small sample size of a pre season of mostly watered down NHL teams you think that will be enough to keep him in the NHL and call anyone who opposes that as being silly?

Doesnt make a lot of sense to me.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
IF he is ready for the NHL????

Lets see...Yakimov is 19 years old so despite his physical 'size' the space between his ears is is still 19 yeas old.

He also has virtually NO North American experience to fall back on.

So with those realities in mind why are you so opposed to easing him into NA pro hockey?

Based on a suspiciously small sample size of a pre season of mostly watered down NHL teams you think that will be enough to keep him in the NHL and call anyone who opposes that as being silly?

Doesnt make a lot of sense to me.
Did you read rest of my post? is Nichuskin NHL ready after already playing a full year at 18 not accustomed to the north American game . Like I said Yakimov is same age and has better numbers than Nich in those same leagues. Playing age and behind the ears is weak sauce argument he is showing he handles small ice well whether it continues we will see.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
If he is ready for the NHL then you keep him up so far so good . Lets not forget he is 6'5 230 lbs so he is physically ready . He also has already a year in a pro league where he produced just fine as well. We also have 2 center ice spots open. If he is not ready send him to OKC no prob but to say he is not ready just because of age is stupid. At the same time we have posters all for Draisaitl starting in the NHL and sorry Yakimov has been leaps and bounds ahead of him. And my original post was about confidence if scoring a ppg even strength against his competition has not given him confidence what will :shakehead I want to also add Yakimov has put up better numbers in the same leagues his good buddy Nichuskin played for and he played last year well Yakimov has had a extra year in the khl.

I was just thinking of how to write a post like this.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Did you read rest of my post? is Nichuskin NHL ready after already playing a full year at 18 not accustomed to the north American game . Like I said Yakimov is same age and has better numbers than Nich in those same leagues. Playing age and behind the ears is pathetic he is showing he hadles small ice well whether it continues we will see.

Are you trying to suggest that the Oilers have the same depth at centre as the Stars that would allow for transitioning a rookie properly?

Try again.

There is no comparison to be made here. The Stars have the luxury of being able to do something the Oilers cant do. The Stars sheltered Nichuskin and put him in a position to succeed because they had the depth to do it.

The Oilers arent even close to being able to do that.

Thats been this teams problem all along...trying to push rookies faster than their experience allows for.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Are you trying to suggest that the Oilers have the same depth at centre as the Stars that would allow for transitioning a rookie properly?

Try again.

There is no comparison to be made here. The Stars have the luxury of being able to do something the Oilers cant do. The Stars sheltered Nichuskin and put him in a position to succeed because they had the depth to do it.

Thats been this teams problem all along...trying to push rookies faster than their experience allows for.
Wow Guymez we have no center depth :laugh: And the players vying for that spot Yakimov has by far looked the best.And the Stars made the playoffs for the 1st time last year in a long time another weak sauce argument like they were some seasoned loaded team last year.And btw Nich is a winger not a center just was showing you don't have to play in minors if from Europe.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wow Guymez we have no center depth :laugh: And the players vying for that spot Yakimov has by far looked the best.And the Stars made the playoffs for the 1st time last year in a long time another weak sauce argument like they were some seasoned loaded team last year.

Hmmm...the very small (almost insignificant) sample size and the fact that he has almost no NA pro hockey experience and the fact that he wont be sheltered due to a severe lack of centre depth is completely lost on you.

Not sure what else to say here.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010

Try again.

We still have RHN and Gordon to handle the offensive and defence side a bit, throw in arco or lander to give breaks to the rookies. It's not the best, but this guy is 230 lbs vs Arco ?? I'll gladly keep an eye on him for the rest of preseason at least.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We still have RHN and Gordon to handle the offensive and defence side a bit, throw in arco or lander to give breaks to the rookies. It's not the best, but this guy is 230 lbs vs Arco ?? I'll gladly keep an eye on him for the rest of preseason at least.

Of course keep an eye on him. Also keep an eye on the lineups other teams employ and how many actual NHL'ers they use. Also keep an eye on the match ups and ask yourself how easily he will be exposed once the real season starts.

Look...I am not suggesting that there isnt a player in there. I am suggesting that the Oiler dont do what they have done all too often...hurt a players development because of a lack of depth.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
Hmmm...the very small (almost insignificant) sample size and the fact that he has almost no NA pro hockey experience and the fact that he wont be sheltered is completely lost on you.

Not sure what else to say here.
Do you agree Yak should get longer looks in camp from his showing so far ? and do you think if he keeps up what he is doing he should get a look into the season? or just send him down on principle even though so far he has been exceeding every expectation. What If he still is miles ahead of Arco Drai and Lander come opening night? I think all those 3 are going to have to step it out or they are losing a spot to Yakimov. But like I said lets see how he does when he plays stronger competiton near the end of training camp

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Do you agree Yak should get longer looks in camp from his showing so far ? and do you think if he keeps up what he is doing he should get a look into the season? or just send him down on principle even though so far he has been exceeding every expectation.

Absolutely. I think Yak should play in almost every Pre-season game based on his very early showing.

Once the season starts I think he should then take that experience with him to OKC and get 1st line minutes in the AHL. He should play in every important situation and learn from a very good developmental coach in a very good developmental League.

Then if he continues to excel he gets a shot on the big team as gets an opportunity to utilize what he has learned.

There will be opportunities during the season to be called up and if Yakimov excels with OKC he will be the first player on a flight.

The Oilers cant afford to screw this kid up because he is a big centre with seemingly loads of potential.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Of course keep an eye on him. Also keep an eye on the lineups other teams employ and how many actual NHL'ers they use. Also keep an eye on the match ups and ask yourself how easily he will be exposed once the real season starts.

Look...I am not suggesting that there isnt a player in there. I am suggesting that the Oiler dont do what they have done all too often...hurt a players development because of a lack of depth.

Yup, that's the part I would be debating, would we hurt the development long term.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I agree with Guymez here.

Too many times have we seen over the past 10 years players with certain qualities (points, size, weight, whatevers) rushed to the Oilers who didn't happen to have, nor do they now.....YET, quality experienced players in key positions to help the rookies along.

Some will disagree, but a good example of this tide changing for the better was last year. Taking on Ference, who provided minute chomping play and was basically not noticed yet solid. What effect do you think having him and a couple of other experienced D like Petry and even Belov had for young Marincin and Kleffy? Not to mention Schultz.

We are in an even better position this year, as the Oil has attained a number of experienced D and Wingers to help out Drai, Klef, Marincin, Nurse (?), etc.

If Yakumov plays in the minors this year, and maybe comes up at the end of the season, I think that would be the best case scenario. Next year, as all of Hall, Ebs, Yaks, Nuge, Lander are more experienced, it will be an easy transition for Yakumov with his skill set and size.

Sorry for the really long post, I understand if some posters will not read it.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
I agree with Guymez here.

Too many times have we seen over the past 10 years players with certain qualities (points, size, weight, whatevers) rushed to the Oilers who didn't happen to have, nor do they now.....YET, quality experienced players in key positions to help the rookies along.

Some will disagree, but a good example of this tide changing for the better was last year. Taking on Ference, who provided minute chomping play and was basically not noticed yet solid. What effect do you think having him and a couple of other experienced D like Petry and even Belov had for young Marincin and Kleffy? Not to mention Schultz.

We are in an even better position this year, as the Oil has attained a number of experienced D and Wingers to help out Drai, Klef, Marincin, Nurse (?), etc.

If Yakumov plays in the minors this year, and maybe comes up at the end of the season, I think that would be the best case scenario. Next year, as all of Hall, Ebs, Yaks, Nuge, Lander are more experienced, it will be an easy transition for Yakumov with his skill set and size.

Sorry for the really long post, I understand if some posters will not read it.

So a 18 year old should make it on draft merit but a 19 year old physical beast with a year of pro who is killing it so far should be sheltered in the minors . ok then.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
So a 18 year old should make it on draft merit but a 19 year old physical beast with a year of pro who is killing it so far should be sheltered in the minors . ok then.

That not at all what I'm saying. I think Drai should go back to Juniors or Europe for sure...no questions asked. But due to the lack of C depth, Drai could stick. I personally think that they should play Arco and Lander in the 2 remaining C positions.

Just let the kids play lots of minutes in the other leagues.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I keep reading this as Yakupov ready to play in the NHL and being like ...what? :laugh:

At least 4 times now.

Oiltankjob Fail

Feb 10, 2013
That not at all what I'm saying. I think Drai should go back to Juniors or Europe for sure...no questions asked. But due to the lack of C depth, Drai could stick. I personally think that they should play Arco and Lander in the 2 remaining C positions.

Just let the kids play lots of minutes in the other leagues.
Ok so I go back to my argument why should he stick and not Yakimov if Yakimov is clearly ahead on his play which so far has been the case. May I remind you Yakimov is a center. And he has a year on Drai and a year of pro already. Seems to be a double standard. This team can't screw around anymore they need to play the best players not the best draft rank. If Yakimov continues to outshine Drai and Arcobello he should be on team ahead of them period.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Why not keep both Drai and Yakimov with the big club if they outperform the rest of the competition? See if Yak2 can play the wing with any success, etc. Have a line that you shelter the bejezus out of in Yakimov-Draisaitl-Yakupov.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

Try again.

The Stars played Nichushkin in their top 6 immediately. Your argument against Yakimov sticking was the lack of NA experience, OTJF pointed out that it isn't the hurdle you make it out to be with the Nichushkin example. If the Stars did anything resembling sheltering, it was subbing vets for Nichushkin late in games that were close. What's preventing us from doing the same? Even if it's Arco that makes the team, I don't expect to see anyone but Nuge or Gordon in the final 5 minutes of a game we're up in.

You can shelter Yak2 by giving him veteran wingers. The way you're framing how the Stars handled Nichushkin makes it sound like their roster was the late 90's Red Wings. They had Cody Eakin (78 prior NHL games) and Alex Chiasson (rookie) playing in their top 6. If you think having Horcoff playing on their 4th line was the great difference maker, then why wasn't a similar difference made when he was here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad