Prospect Info: Yakimov ready to play in the AHL

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
How do some of you guys NOT have jobs with the Oilers ? The amount of experts is astonishing.

It's pretty simple actually...
The Oilers don't hire experts. They either hire someone from the old boys club to fill a position (Buchberger, Smith, Lowe, MacT) or someone who is underqualified/inexperienced to fill a position (MacT as GM, Eakins as head coach)

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
It's pretty simple actually...
The Oilers don't hire experts. They either hire someone from the old boys club to fill a position (Buchberger, Smith, Lowe, MacT) or someone who is underqualified/inexperienced to fill a position (MacT as GM, Eakins as head coach)

yes, but they are ALL still more qualified than ANY of us..

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
Not convinced that's the case. Have you watched this team the last 8 years?

Someone like Chiarelli, okay, he's got a track record of success. Tambo & Mac?

Everyone has a vision, some work, some fluke out, others are great at it.. Everything in life is about who you know, thats why ex-oilers etc. continue to get jobs. Are they supposed to apologize for taking a job that was offered to them?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Why not keep both Drai and Yakimov with the big club if they outperform the rest of the competition? See if Yak2 can play the wing with any success, etc. Have a line that you shelter the bejezus out of in Yakimov-Draisaitl-Yakupov.

These guys should only be with the big club if they are 100% NHL ready. Outperforming other non-NHLers in Arcobello and Lander doesn't make them ready. If they aren't ready (I don't think Draisaitl is based on what I've seen) they shouldn't be here. Period.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Admit it: With all the perpetual crap we deal with as Oilers fans, the one true glimmer of hope is that we might one day, one fine day...have a Calder Award winner.

Even that dream has been stomped on for three of the past four years.

It'd be nice to see an Oiler at the awards show for some other reason than being Mr. Congeniality.

Let's start the rookies next year. And win that bloody award.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Everyone has a vision, some work, some fluke out, others are great at it.. Everything in life is about who you know, thats why ex-oilers etc. continue to get jobs. Are they supposed to apologize for taking a job that was offered to them?

Absolutely not. Not at all. Doesn't mean they're proficient at their jobs, and it doesn't mean that there aren't HF users who could do a decent job.

I, for example, would have gone after Stralman and Fayne, and probably Pouliot, and would have avoided long contracts to Ference and Nikitin, and avoided Clarkson like the plague.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
These guys should only be with the big club if they are 100% NHL ready. Outperforming other non-NHLers in Arcobello and Lander doesn't make them ready. If they aren't ready (I don't think Draisaitl is based on what I've seen) they shouldn't be here. Period.

I agree in general, but my take on it is that there is no amount of AHL seasoning that will ever get a player "100% ready" for the NHL, for the simple reason that the AHL game cannot and will never fully replicate the speed and structure that the NHL game demands. IMO it takes them to a certain point, then they simply have to get their feet wet at the NHL level and sink or swim on their own merits.

I really do think the decision to give a player AHL seasoning prior to NHL employment has to be taken on a case by case basis. The idea that all players require this to succeed seems simplistic to me, and in the real world there's numerous cases every year where players make the transition to the NHL directly.

Even Detroit, the poster boy for "overripening" their prospects, put DeKeyser immediately into their lineup and never looked back. Sure he was an older guy with lots of college experience, regardless, not a single pro game to his name and he had few issues acclimating. As a rookie last year, had the 2nd most ice time on their blue line.

Some can do it, most can't. Don't need to be a superstar or "special" player to do it, though.

Not Robin Brownlee

The docile tones!
Nov 17, 2008
Absolutely not. Not at all. Doesn't mean they're proficient at their jobs, and it doesn't mean that there aren't HF users who could do a decent job.

I, for example, would have gone after Stralman and Fayne, and probably Pouliot, and would have avoided long contracts to Ference and Nikitin, and avoided Clarkson like the plague.

Well, case closed than. You should be a GM. Until those moves backfire in your face, your team starts to suck and the internet revolts about your moves or lack there of. And lets face it, thats how it works.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Well, case closed than. You should be a GM. Until those moves backfire in your face, your team starts to suck and the internet revolts about your moves or lack there of. And lets face it, thats how it works.

I don't think anyone is trying to project themselves as smarter than NHL execs, but there have been instances where the majority of HF Oil has been right vs the decision Oiler management made (Jenner vs Musil; not sure anyone liked the Grebeshkov signing).

I'm not sure why you take issue with people voicing their opinions on a message board. If it weren't for arguments this site would be strictly GIFs and YouTube clips.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Do you want to add anything to the conversation or just this kind of crap? If you have nothing to add then move along. This is a hockey board for hockey discussion not for this kind of crap.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I don't think anyone is trying to project themselves as smarter than NHL execs, but there have been instances where the majority of HF Oil has been right vs the decision Oiler management made (Jenner vs Musil; not sure anyone liked the Grebeshkov signing).

I'm not sure why you take issue with people voicing their opinions on a message board. If it weren't for arguments this site would be strictly GIFs and YouTube clips.

200.gif

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

IMO 80% NHL ready is fine in this case. Why? Because the likelihood of a guy like Leon getting better as the season goes along is better than him getting worse. Experience will only help him. If he isn't ready or shows stagnation after his first half dozen games then send him down.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Stars played Nichushkin in their top 6 immediately. Your argument against Yakimov sticking was the lack of NA experience, OTJF pointed out that it isn't the hurdle you make it out to be with the Nichushkin example. If the Stars did anything resembling sheltering, it was subbing vets for Nichushkin late in games that were close. What's preventing us from doing the same? Even if it's Arco that makes the team, I don't expect to see anyone but Nuge or Gordon in the final 5 minutes of a game we're up in.

Depth is preventing the Oilers from handling Yakimov the same way the Stars handled Nichuskin. The Oilers centre depth sucks and thats the only reason why young green players like Yakimov are being discussed for getting NHL time.

You can shelter Yak2 by giving him veteran wingers. The way you're framing how the Stars handled Nichushkin makes it sound like their roster was the late 90's Red Wings. They had Cody Eakin (78 prior NHL games) and Alex Chiasson (rookie) playing in their top 6. If you think having Horcoff playing on their 4th line was the great difference maker, then why wasn't a similar difference made when he was here?

Look at the quality of comp for the whole story.

If the Oilers had a legit full time option for 2nd line centre I would feel much better about using Yakimov. If Arco can handle tougher minutes for 40 games to allow for a player like Yakimov or Drai to get the gravy minutes then maybe that would work. Its still a big risk.

For every outlier like Nichuskin there are multiple players who were rushed and not sheltered and the team and the player paid the price for it.

The point being that this team has a history of rushing players into the NHL because it has no choice. Better teams would develop these players properly. Here we are again talking about doing the same thing and hoping for a better result for a player and its all based on 2 virtually meaningless games against watered down NHL teams.

There is something seriously flawed in this thinking IMO.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I try to just read your guys board as a draisaitl fan without posting, but I find Yakimov a really interesting kid. And just as an outside opinion I think it would be good to let him start the season in the AHL so he can get used to NA ice and gets over the culture shock for a while before being thrown into the crucible of centering a line for this team. Even if that means playing a hack like lander as the 2C, assuming no trade is made.

I also tend to think Leon should get sent down after he gets a short tryout so he can see what NHL regular season games are like before going back down with a clearer idea of what needs to be worked on. As I also likely would have done with RNH at the time, cause with center and dmen in particular I really don't like rushing them unless you have a really good vet at the position in front of them, to shepherd their acclimation and growth while taking lesser wingers and the tougher minutes, as the Avs had Stastny do for first Duchene and then MacKinnon.

After so many years there's no reason to rush young guys who can still grow and develop at a level you're confident they can flourish at right now, because not putting kids in a position to fail is more important than pushing them as hard as possible.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I try to just read your guys board as a draisaitl fan without posting, but I find Yakimov a really interesting kid. And just as an outside opinion I think it would be good to let him start the season in the AHL so he can get used to NA ice and gets over the culture shock for a while before being thrown into the crucible of centering a line for this team. Even if that means playing a hack like lander as the 2C, assuming no trade is made.

I also tend to think Leon should get sent down after he gets a short tryout so he can see what NHL regular season games are like before going back down with a clearer idea of what needs to be worked on. As I also likely would have done with RNH at the time, cause with center and dmen in particular I really don't like rushing them unless you have a really good vet at the position in front of them, to shepherd their acclimation and growth while taking lesser wingers and the tougher minutes, as the Avs had Stastny do for first Duchene and then MacKinnon.

After so many years there's no reason to rush young guys who can still grow and develop at a level you're confident they can flourish at right now, because not putting kids in a position to fail is more important than pushing them as hard as possible.

Well said and that's all logical and makes sense... but you have to view how they'll likely deal with Draisaitl/Yakimov through the filter of the management group of a team that's missed the playoffs for 8 years straight and has been in the bottom 7 teams in the league for 5 years straight.

Logic and common sense isn't something that's very common within this management group. :)

My bet is they will keep Arcobello and Lander up (because they don't want to risk losing either to waivers) and give Draisaitl his 9 game look. They'll likely start Yakimov in the AHL... again moreso because they don't want to dump either Lander or Arcobello on waivers until they see what Yakimov/Draisaitl can do against "real" AHL/NHL teams in a larger sample of games.

My gut feeling is they'll probably keep Draisaitl up for the full year... I don't think he'll **** the bed bad enough that management will want to send him overseas to Europe where the gameplay is quite different than the NHL style of play. It doesn't sound like Leon is overly enthusiastic about going back to Junior.

If Yak2 rips it up in the AHL he'll likely be the 1st injury callup part way through the season... and then the Oilers will likely dump either Lander or Arcobello on waivers (whomever is playing poorer at that point)... or they make a minor deal with another team for a late draft pick more likely instead of losing them outright for nothing.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I wonder if this is the most logical scenario. If Yakimov looks ready to play in the nhl, send him to OKC. Let Leon play 9 games. If, at the end of 9 games, he is a legit NHL player, he stays. If he doesn't, he goes to PA and we recall Yakimov.

Yakimov's solid play is giving us options

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
yes, but they are ALL still more qualified than ANY of us..

Being 'qualified' and being smart at your job are very different things. I'd say in all seriousness that half this forum though not having expereince in being a front office person woiuld have been better at running the oilers.

The oilers front office, including last year have screwed up on total common sense issues.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well said and that's all logical and makes sense... but you have to view how they'll likely deal with Draisaitl/Yakimov through the filter of the management group of a team that's missed the playoffs for 8 years straight and has been in the bottom 7 teams in the league for 5 years straight.

Logic and common sense isn't something that's very common within this management group. :)

My bet is they will keep Arcobello and Lander up (because they don't want to risk losing either to waivers) and give Draisaitl his 9 game look. They'll likely start Yakimov in the AHL... again moreso because they don't want to dump either Lander or Arcobello on waivers until they see what Yakimov/Draisaitl can do against "real" AHL/NHL teams in a larger sample of games.

My gut feeling is they'll probably keep Draisaitl up for the full year... I don't think he'll **** the bed bad enough that management will want to send him overseas to Europe where the gameplay is quite different than the NHL style of play. It doesn't sound like Leon is overly enthusiastic about going back to Junior.

If Yak2 rips it up in the AHL he'll likely be the 1st injury callup part way through the season... and then the Oilers will likely dump either Lander or Arcobello on waivers (whomever is playing poorer at that point)... or they make a minor deal with another team for a late draft pick more likely instead of losing them outright for nothing.

Is he really feeling much heat already? I think he's done reasonable well at bettering your supporting pieces over the past two years. Though I do think that a couple aggressive trades to shake up and better balance the core and support staff are needed, and waiting too long to make those kinds of trades has clear costs. But figured since he's only been on the job since 2012 that he still had some rope to work with given how much better he's done in this secondary moves.

I really don't like the idea of them rushing either of these big kids just because management wants to push for some marginal success this year, at the cost of the powerhouse that could still be built around some of what you've already got on hand. Especially without the team making a trade for a veteran 2/3C with a good two way game and the versatility to play on the wing who could shelter and teach these new kids. If tomorrow they announced a Perron for a Berglund/Vermette-like-vet based trade I'd be much more open these kids starting up with the oilers and optimistic on your ability to get the most out of these kids raw talents because I'd feel comfortable about them not being rushed to immediately fill roles they can't yet.

But with RNH, Gordon, Hendricks, Arco and Lander as the best options for that prime-aged-mentor both youngins should have with them to try the jump this soon, I can't help but suck my teeth, tighten all of my sphincters, and start praying that some of that German sports luck which abandoned our national soccer team 18 years ago, has been resting up to help Drai and his NHL team...

Last edited:

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I wonder if this is the most logical scenario. If Yakimov looks ready to play in the nhl, send him to OKC. Let Leon play 9 games. If, at the end of 9 games, he is a legit NHL player, he stays. If he doesn't, he goes to PA and we recall Yakimov.

Yakimov's solid play is giving us options

I don't know if they have much choice other than to play him right off the bat. Who else are they going to play? Arco? Lander? These aren't true NHL players and have been almost invisible in camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad