Would you extend Nyquist?

What to do with Nyquist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Like I said, Nyquist and his agent can ask for that deal all they want, and if they do we say no.

Why are you so confident of that? What has changed in the 2 seasons since Abdelkader signed his deal? Z will retire, Kronwall will retire. There's plenty of cap space open for another deal for a homegrown talent.

I'll guess he signs for 5 years 28m.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Like I said, Nyquist and his agent can ask for that deal all they want, and if they do we say no.
You or I would say no. That doesn't automatically mean this front office would. I think Holland would resist 7 years, but I could definitely see him doing 5, and possibly 6.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Why are you so confident of that? What has changed in the 2 seasons since Abdelkader signed his deal? Z will retire, Kronwall will retire. There's plenty of cap space open for another deal for a homegrown talent.

I'll guess he signs for 5 years 28m.

Now I get it, to you this is a "what will Holland do" debate. I don't have interest in another Holland argument, and that's not what my posts were/are about.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
You or I would say no. That doesn't automatically mean this front office would. I think Holland would resist 7 years, but I could definitely see him doing 5, and possibly 6.

Like I said above, I have no interest talking about Holland. I am simply discussing Nyquist's contract and what I think he is/is not worth.

Reactions: KJoe88

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Like Vanek?

If this team is going to be on a serious upswing in the next couple of years, it's going to be all of the kids stepping up. If we're still looking for a good vet middle6 winger, it's cheaper and easier to cull the lesser lights on free agency and signing guys like Vanek for a year or two - a deal that I just can't imagine Nyquist entertaining.

Sometimes there always isn’t a Vanek though. He’s meshed well here.

I just believe Nyquist could still be valued here when the team gets good. He’d be at that time a long time vet, team drafted, and he would be in his later half of his prime still (he kind was a late prime type of guy - mostly blocked by unneeded vets). Those guys are valued. And the cap would have been raised by then too.

Now I’m not saying sign him to a six year/six million dollar contract. At most I’d like to see (IF we resign him) is three years at around five million.

Reactions: kliq

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Sometimes there always isn’t a Vanek though. He’s meshed well here.

I just believe Nyquist could still be valued here when the team gets good. He’d be at that time a long time vet, team drafted, and he would be in his later half of his prime still (he kind was a late prime type of guy - mostly blocked by unneeded vets). Those guys are valued. And the cap would have been raised by then too.

Now I’m not saying sign him to a six year/six million dollar contract. At most I’d like to see (IF we resign him) is three years at around five million.

I disagree that there isn't always a Vanek. Right now, guys like Mike Cammalleri, Scott Hartnell, and Daniel Winnik are either not in camps or showing up on PTOs. And a handful of others. Also, I think there's always Vanek himself. I wouldn't be surprised to see him just keep signing one and two year deals here and Holland hanging onto him.

If we're really looking at Nyquist for 2-3 years, it gets harder to pass up. At the same time, I'm not sure why he's taking that short of a deal and we may as well just sign him for six because we know Holland isn't going to let him walk if he isn't going to do so now.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I disagree that there isn't always a Vanek. Right now, guys like Mike Cammalleri, Scott Hartnell, and Daniel Winnik are either not in camps or showing up on PTOs.
¨
Years since last 40+ point season:

Cammalleri: 3
Hartnell: 2
Winnik: never scored 40+ points

Vanek: 40+ points in every NHL season to date

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I disagree that there isn't always a Vanek. Right now, guys like Mike Cammalleri, Scott Hartnell, and Daniel Winnik are either not in camps or showing up on PTOs. And a handful of others. Also, I think there's always Vanek himself. I wouldn't be surprised to see him just keep signing one and two year deals here and Holland hanging onto him.

If we're really looking at Nyquist for 2-3 years, it gets harder to pass up. At the same time, I'm not sure why he's taking that short of a deal and we may as well just sign him for six because we know Holland isn't going to let him walk if he isn't going to do so now.

Vanek had 24 goals and 56 points last season. He was going to get a contract.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Trading him should be a non negotiable. If he wants to come back, I would be fine with him coming back but not at the prices of his comprables. They may be market value, but most people would consider them to be rich. There is a reason why many people were happy we got out of Tatars contract.

If he’s down to take 4.8 mil a year, welcome him back, but he is not important or good enough to bring him back at anything more than a discount

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Also, while talking TDl returns, I for one am tempering my expectations om returns. I think Tatar and Smith massively underperforming relative to the price paid for one may hurt how other Wing’s players are perceived by the league.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Trading him should be a non negotiable. If he wants to come back, I would be fine with him coming back but not at the prices of his comprables. They may be market value, but most people would consider them to be rich. There is a reason why many people were happy we got out of Tatars contract.

If he’s down to take 4.8 mil a year, welcome him back, but he is not important or good enough to bring him back at anything more than a discount
Totally agree with this. He is a luxury player at this point and should have no leverage with KH. Worst case scenario he has an outlier season scoring 35+ goals 70+points then gets a big raise and goes back to what he has been giving us the past 3 years. I’m always weary about players producing on contract years, then they get that “sign and retire” deal.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Also, while talking TDl returns, I for one am tempering my expectations om returns. I think Tatar and Smith massively underperforming relative to the price paid for one may hurt how other Wing’s players are perceived by the league.

Could be. Although I would hope pro scouts could identify if a player fits their team.

I think he ends up in Dallas.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

The market always dictates the price.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think trade him is obvious. If he wants to come back in the offseason at a reasonable price I wouldnt mind, I think he'll want too many years though for what I would be interested in.

Hes a guy that cant carry an offense but if he had talent around him he would light it up I think.

Reactions: Frk It

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hate that all Nyquist discussion on that Howard thread.... could mods move that discussion in here?

How I could analyze Nyquist -traded on the trade dealine:

A) Who are the possible buyers?

Of course, contenders.

- Tampa Bay, won't need scoring wingers, they have at least million possibilities on their own. Backup goalie maybe only need.
- Toronto Maple Leafs. also strong forward core, Nylander was already their "Nyquist", they are gonna push for trade at defence.
- Winnipeg Jets. This is where I see a fit. Last year they traded for a center (Stastny), and could need offensive depth. Their defence and goaltending is more than set. Now Little is doing better at center and winger could also be a possibility. I could see Nyquist as playmaking wing for Laine. That "dirty-work" Little works still between them and will push other scoring depth to lower lines.
- Washington Capitals. I could see a fit. they are missing one forward from great Top9 offence. Have heard that Burakowsky is their trade bait are not gonna extend his QO at next summer. Would not like him as a trade bait, would prefer a 1st pick only. Also, they could add defensive depth and could see Trevor Daley there with 50% retention, for a lower pick.
- Buffalo Sabres. A buyer? Sounds crazy, but they have three 2019 1st rounders to use at least one in a deadline deal. They are gonna terminate Patrik Berglund contract, so maybe that opens a need for more experinced forward, who knows. They have lots of own kids though...
- Calgary Flames. they have good center core so add could be a winger. I think Nyquist could fit perfect on their style of play. Bill Peters knows Gus from his Detroit days, so if he sees a fit, an offer could happen. Nyquist - Backlund - Lindholm could be something as a full Swedish 2nd line. Cap would be tight with the Flames, but we could retent and take some UFA roster player to make room.
- Columbus Blue Jackets. They have quite deep offensive group, don't know if there is willingness for a trade. Those Panarin+Bobrovsky cases are really problematic, if they want out at summer. If either would extend with us and Nyquist would like to extend with CBJ, that could be an incentive for both organisations. Unprobable though. I could see Columbus being a team trying to get Nyquist as summer UFA, when they are gonna lose Panarin.
- Nashville Predators. Always have seen Nyquist as fit there, they don't have left-handed playmaker on their 2nd PP. Tolvanen will be that but is still too young. Preds is a team with "too much righties". Lot's of right-handed shooters to fit with Nyquist's playmaking, and easily has the cap space.
- Colorado Avalanche. Definitely see a fit. 1-line team that doesn't become any kind of playoff threat, until they bolster the offence and build deeper lines with skill.
- Boston Bruins and San Jose sharks. They have just too much forward depth on their own.
- Pittsburgh Penguins. they have the offence, and all assets they probably have left, will to to that Goaltendeing solution.
- If Vegas, Dallas and Edonton will rise on the standings, I could re-evaluate their needs. So far I don't see them as contenders and not as buyers.

Best fit so far:

Jets and Predators. They are enough strong to believe that their 1sts will be low-end picks and that reduces the limit to pull the trade-trigger.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hate that all Nyquist discussion on that Howard thread.... could mods move that discussion in here?

How I could analyze Nyquist -traded on the trade dealine:

A) Who are the possible buyers?

Of course, contenders.

- Tampa Bay, won't need scoring wingers, they have at least million possibilities on their own. Backup goalie maybe only need.
- Toronto Maple Leafs. also strong forward core, Nylander was already their "Nyquist", they are gonna push for trade at defence.
- Winnipeg Jets. This is where I see a fit. Last year they traded for a center (Stastny), and could need offensive depth. Their defence and goaltending is more than set. Now Little is doing better at center and winger could also be a possibility. I could see Nyquist as playmaking wing for Laine. That "dirty-work" Little works still between them and will push other scoring depth to lower lines.
- Washington Capitals. I could see a fit. they are missing one forward from great Top9 offence. Have heard that Burakowsky is their trade bait are not gonna extend his QO at next summer. Would not like him as a trade bait, would prefer a 1st pick only. Also, they could add defensive depth and could see Trevor Daley there with 50% retention, for a lower pick.
- Buffalo Sabres. A buyer? Sounds crazy, but they have three 2019 1st rounders to use at least one in a deadline deal. They are gonna terminate Patrik Berglund contract, so maybe that opens a need for more experinced forward, who knows. They have lots of own kids though...
- Calgary Flames. they have good center core so add could be a winger. I think Nyquist could fit perfect on their style of play. Bill Peters knows Gus from his Detroit days, so if he sees a fit, an offer could happen. Nyquist - Backlund - Lindholm could be something as a full Swedish 2nd line. Cap would be tight with the Flames, but we could retent and take some UFA roster player to make room.
- Columbus Blue Jackets. They have quite deep offensive group, don't know if there is willingness for a trade. Those Panarin+Bobrovsky cases are really problematic, if they want out at summer. If either would extend with us and Nyquist would like to extend with CBJ, that could be an incentive for both organisations. Unprobable though. I could see Columbus being a team trying to get Nyquist as summer UFA, when they are gonna lose Panarin.
- Nashville Predators. Always have seen Nyquist as fit there, they don't have left-handed playmaker on their 2nd PP. Tolvanen will be that but is still too young. Preds is a team with "too much righties". Lot's of right-handed shooters to fit with Nyquist's playmaking, and easily has the cap space.
- Colorado Avalanche. Definitely see a fit. 1-line team that doesn't become any kind of playoff threat, until they bolster the offence and build deeper lines with skill.
- Boston Bruins and San Jose sharks. They have just too much forward depth on their own.
- Pittsburgh Penguins. they have the offence, and all assets they probably have left, will to to that Goaltendeing solution.
- If Vegas, Dallas and Edonton will rise on the standings, I could re-evaluate their needs. So far I don't see them as contenders and not as buyers.

Best fit so far:

Jets and Predators. They are enough strong to believe that their 1sts will be low-end picks and that reduces the limit to pull the trade-trigger.

I agree with a lot of those fits. Calgary wouldnt play him with Lindholm though, Lindholm is playing with Gaudreau and Monahan on the top line. Right now though they've got Sam Bennett playing 2nd line wing with Tkachuk and Backlund. Hes having good year but not much of an offensive player, I could see Nyquist sliding in with those 2 and doing some damage. Calgary is a team that could use scoring depth for sure.

The other interesting one is Buffalo. I think they actually will be buyers, it would almost be stupid to not use one of those firsts when theyre having the season they are already. Keep 2 firsts but trade for some offensive depth and go on a bit of a run hopefully to get your young players some playoff experience. They dont have much scoring outside of their top line either

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I think Edmonton would be a good trade partner for Nyquist. They lack scoring depth and are in a playoff hunt. Plus Chiarelli is a moron so we could probably get an unprotected first from him.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Nyquist has 7 5v5 secondary assists through 38 games this season. He had 3 all of last season and averaged 5.6 per year over the first 5 full seasons of his career. He has 4 secondary assists at 5v4 less than half-way through this season after averaging 3 per season his first 5 full seasons. He didn't suddenly turn into a 65 point (pace) producer overnight - rather he is on a lucky streak and represents a very obvious sell-high opportunity for the Red Wings.

Reactions: turkleton85

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nyquist has 7 5v5 secondary assists through 38 games this season. He had 3 all of last season and averaged 5.6 per year over the first 5 full seasons of his career. He has 4 secondary assists at 5v4 less than half-way through this season after averaging 3 per season his first 5 full seasons. He didn't suddenly turn into a 65 point (pace) producer overnight - rather he is on a lucky streak and represents a very obvious sell-high opportunity for the Red Wings.

I don't see any significant fluke on his amount of secondary assists. Quite normal distribution for a forward. Lot more first assists.

Nyquist's 56 primary points in All situations is 2nd best after Larkin on last 2 seasons.

That is clearly a player, which will interest other organizations and I would re-sign. Tatar wasn't even near of that. He was falling out from our TOP9 as effectivity. I'm more than happy that he is gone.

In a prefect world, trade Nyquist (get assets) and re-sign.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't see any significant fluke on his amount of secondary assists. Quite normal distribution for a forward. Lot more first assists.

Nyquist's 56 primary points in All situations is 2nd best after Larkin on last 2 seasons.

That is clearly a player, which will interest other organizations and I would re-sign. Tatar wasn't even near of that. He was falling out from our TOP9 as effectivity. I'm more than happy that he is gone.

In a prefect world, trade Nyquist (get assets) and re-sign.
I don't disagree that this year Nyquist has significantly outperformed anything Tatar did while in Detroit.

My question is: why do you feel confident that this year isn't an outlier, and he will continue to produce enough to justify something along the lines of a 5 x $6M deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad