Would you extend Nyquist?

What to do with Nyquist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just checked some of his contract comparables. Found Adam Henrique, JT Miller and Tomas Tatar.

That would push his extension in 5.5M - 5.75M ballpark.

After season Nyquist is UFA and could probably be dealt at the deadline.

He looked pretty good on zone-entry advanced stats, that I would like to trade him and them try to get him back.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Trade him if he'll waive and let him move on. Gustav Nyquist should not be in this team's future plans.

Reactions: Oddbob

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Trade him this season for sure. It is really far out there to predict whether or not I would be interested in Nyquist next summer though. A lot could play into that. I would play Nyquist with Rasmussen though, he likes space creators and Ras is good at that like Franzen was.

marcmadsen

Sep 29, 2016
I've always really liked Nyquist and was big on him when he was a prospect. So I wouldn't have any issue bringing him back next summer. But the DRW definitely should be trying to move him by the deadline. If they were to consider bringing him back, I'd like to see it in the range of $4.75-$5M AAV

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Trade him for futures. I like Gus and would consider resigning him but only if we're able move to move one of our bad contracts first.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
The Wings are deep at wing, with at least 6 players either currently on the team or in the system that are or projected to be as good or better than Nyquist. Trade him and never look back.

Mantha
Zadina
...Vanek?

Who am I missing?

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Well I think for sure you have to trade him if the value is there. Like TZE said though - you're going to have to re-evaluate after that.

Just looking at our roster next season in terms of wingers (forgive me if I'm missing someone):
Mantha
Bertuzzi
Nyquist (not under contract)
Abdelkader
Zadina
Athanasiou (trade bait?)
Shvechnikov (who knows)
Helm (hopefully gone)
Vanek (not under contract)
Rasmussen (hopefully down the middle)

There's talent there, but still lots of unknowns. I think we should definitely put our priorities at other positions right now.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
it will be ok if they bring him or Tatar for much less money . Have Mrazek for 1 mil will be great especially if NHL get rid of trapezoid behind net . They are good players , just like support to core

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
Definitely need to trade him. Should be able to fetch at least a second rounder if he’ll waive.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well I think for sure you have to trade him if the value is there. Like TZE said though - you're going to have to re-evaluate after that.

Just looking at our roster next season in terms of wingers (forgive me if I'm missing someone):
Mantha
Bertuzzi
Nyquist (not under contract)
Abdelkader
Zadina
Athanasiou (trade bait?)
Shvechnikov (who knows)
Helm (hopefully gone)
Vanek (not under contract)
Rasmussen (hopefully down the middle)

There's talent there, but still lots of unknowns. I think we should definitely put our priorities at other positions right now.

Mantha - X - Zadina
Rasmussen - X - Nyquist
Bertuzzi - X - Svechnikov
Helm - X - Abdelkader

Athanasiou goes in the middle. Vanek leaves.

You can trade somebody for a defenceman, and Nyquist plugs that hole.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Why are the Wings extending another winger that will be 30 in a few weeks to a contract that will almost certainly end up being at least four years?

Trade him and replace him with a prospect. The Wings don't need any more wingers or long term contracts.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I've always really liked Nyquist and was big on him when he was a prospect. So I wouldn't have any issue bringing him back next summer. But the DRW definitely should be trying to move him by the deadline. If they were to consider bringing him back, I'd like to see it in the range of $4.75-$5M AAV

I concur, with the only caveat being $4.5-$4.75M max & 2-4 yrs term max. No NTC/NMC, or very limited NTC after 1st 2yrs.

He'll probably be able to fetch $5M+ & 4-5 yrs term as UFA, but I'd stick to my terms & $ if I were KH...or he can walk.

2019:
Established Top 9 wingers:

Mantha
Bert
----------
*AA..if he doesn't cut it as #3c, or isn't traded for Dman/Dman prospect

Unknowns as of today:

Zadina...likely 1st/2nd line W by 2019 or sooner
Raz...likely 2nd/3rd W or #3C line by 2019 or sooner
Svech...likely 2nd/3rd line W by 2019 or sooner

In the system:
Berggren
?

(Abby/Helm)-fill-ins if needed

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Unless our current group of prospects are all better/further along than we realize losing Z, Nyquist and Vanek within the next 7-12 months will create a massive talent vacuum. From a fan perspective the games will be much more dull but more importantly the team will lack veteran skill.

Lastly, we all know the organizational philosophy. Unless Holland plans to get aggressive for one or two premier UFAs I'd say there is a strong chance Nyquist is brought back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad