Would you extend Nyquist?

What to do with Nyquist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I think we all know Holland’s MO at this point. If we are within 10 points of a spot, they’ll either sign or just keep and then let walk.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I think we all know Holland’s MO at this point. If we are within 10 points of a spot, they’ll either sign or just keep and then let walk.

A general manager with one year remaining on his deal - and who might not be back next year - should not have any power to sign 30 year-olds to multi-year deals.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
A general manager with one year remaining on his deal - and who might not be back next year - should not have any power to sign 30 year-olds to multi-year deals.

Meh, with our luck, Holland trades no one, resigns Nyquist and Howard longterm, gets extended to a 5 year deal and Yzerman goes to Philly.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Meh, with our luck, Holland trades no one, resigns Nyquist and Howard longterm, gets extended to a 5 year deal and Yzerman goes to Philly.
giphy.gif

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If it was a super cheap deal for 2 or 3 years, sure. Part of me is also curious what we could get for him in a trade. If Tatar fetched 3 picks, we could get something similar for Gus in theory, no? We just need to find another sucker GM, so Edmonton or the Islanders?

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Last night's game was another glaring example how this team lacks talent. Taking Nyquist away from Larkin didn't add offense to the second line, it stripped Larkin and the first line of any offensive creativity. I am all about the long term rebuild and trading assets for futures, but losing Nyquist will have a huge negative impact on both the team and Larkin going forward.

I would still trade him this year because it helps the long term goal. If he could be re-signed after the season to a reasonable contract, it would fill a void that the organization has for the next several years.

Reactions: kliq

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Last night's game was another glaring example how this team lacks talent. Taking Nyquist away from Larkin didn't add offense to the second line, it stripped Larkin and the first line of any offensive creativity. I am all about the long term rebuild and trading assets for futures, but losing Nyquist will have a huge negative impact on both the team and Larkin going forward.

I would still trade him this year because it helps the long term goal. If he could be re-signed after the season to a reasonable contract, it would fill a void that the organization has for the next several years.

Nyquist is going to be 30 and has been a complete disappointment his entire career. Let's not forget he's one of the reasons this team has declined the way it has over the years. He's not a long-term solution and likely only going to get worse going forward.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If his agent wants to continue his profession, Nyquist will be getting something decidedly outside the reasonable category for his next contract. But assuming it's with another team, the good news is that Zadina should be a more dangerous player than Gus ever was in the next 2-3 years.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Depends what your expectations are from a 4th round pick.

Nyquist may be having one of his best years this year. Although he is not scoring the goals right now, he is making Larkin better.

He shows up every night and plays hard. Unlike past years, he is going to the tough areas and winning the puck battles...consistently. That is more than can be said for the rest of the team not named Larkin.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
Nyquist is going to be 30 and has been a complete disappointment his entire career. Let's not forget he's one of the reasons this team has declined the way it has over the years. He's not a long-term solution and likely only going to get worse going forward.

what? drafted at 121, 13th in nhl points in his draft class and has a 0.61 ppg average at nhl level and that is him being a disappointment? sure, at one point we hoped he'd be even better than that, but i'd hardly call him a disappointment. also find it hard to fathom the idea that he is a reason for our decline. he's been a regular contributor and has been on a very decent contract. sure, he isn't elite or anything like it, but you can't really hold that against players.

if we can get a tatar-like deal (and he's playing far better than tatar was) then sure, we should move him. but i'd re-sign him in a heartbeat if the money and the term was good.

Reactions: kliq and Frk It

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
what? drafted at 121, 13th in nhl points in his draft class and has a 0.61 ppg average at nhl level and that is him being a disappointment? sure, at one point we hoped he'd be even better than that, but i'd hardly call him a disappointment. also find it hard to fathom the idea that he is a reason for our decline. he's been a regular contributor and has been on a very decent contract. sure, he isn't elite or anything like it, but you can't really hold that against players.

if we can get a tatar-like deal (and he's playing far better than tatar was) then sure, we should move him. but i'd re-sign him in a heartbeat if the money and the term was good.

If they sign Nyquist they're basically bringing back the same set of forwards next year. It's time to move on. Other players need his ice-time. Nyquist never took his game to the next level. The organization relied on that happening to continue being a playoff threat. It never happened. He's not a player worth investing in anymore. He's a 40-point winger getting first line minutes and can't even hit 25 goals. He might not even do that this season, either.

If this organization already traded Tatar for draft picks, why on Earth do you think they'd keep Nyquist? They're basically the same player.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
This team is better with Nyquist, than without him. On a team that is overloaded with grinders, who is going to replace him in the next year or two? Zadina is more of a finisher, like Tatar, than a play maker. Bergrren may fit the role, but he is several years down the road.

It is amazing how many posters turned off the game last night. Viewers need to realize he is one of our better players right now. Things will get uglier before they get better. Loss of Nyquist will make it uglier. I am OK with that, because right now it is all about watching the development of our players. But, Nyquist is not blocking any prospect right now, and would not be for 2-3 years. A three year contract after the season probably is not doable, but would fill a void. I would still trade him, and risk not being able to re-sign him.

Reactions: Frk It

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This team is better with Nyquist, than without him. On a team that is overloaded with grinders, who is going to replace him in the next year or two? Zadina is more of a finisher, like Tatar, than a play maker. Bergrren may fit the role, but he is several years down the road.

It is amazing how many posters turned off the game last night. Viewers need to realize he is one of our better players right now. Things will get uglier before they get better. Loss of Nyquist will make it uglier. I am OK with that, because right now it is all about watching the development of our players. But, Nyquist is not blocking any prospect right now, and would not be for 2-3 years. A three year contract after the season probably is not doable, but would fill a void. I would still trade him, and risk not being able to re-sign him.

Nyquist IS one of our better players right now, but that doesn't mean we should sign him to a 6-7 year deal at 6m/per.

Why would Nyquist sign some team friendly deal when this is likely his last and only chance at reaching the UFA market during a career season? Abdelkader got 7 years, Helm got 5. Abdelkader and Helm are both overpaid, what do you expect for Nyquist?

I'm not worried about finding a 40pt player in UFA or in our system. By the time we have the pieces we need to compete, Nyquist won't be relevant.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If it was a super cheap deal for 2 or 3 years, sure. Part of me is also curious what we could get for him in a trade. If Tatar fetched 3 picks, we could get something similar for Gus in theory, no? We just need to find another sucker GM, so Edmonton or the Islanders?

He wouldnt get the same haul because hes a rental and Tatar had term on his deal but Nyquist would possibly be the top forward available at the deadline this year as a rental (unless the sens try to move Stone). A team like Buffalo that has 3 firsts and could use some depth scoring for a playoff run might give one up though. Not gonna get the extra picks thrown in for a rental though probably

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I'm not worried about finding a 40 pt player in UFA or in our system. By the time we have the pieces we need to compete, Nyquist won't be relevant.

I completely agree that Nyquist will be irrelevant by the time this team becomes competitive.

Since Nyquist was called up in full time in the '13-14 season, he is closer to a 25 goal scorer and 50 pt guy. In the past, I thought he was just a by-product of Zetterberg's greatness. This year he has shown me much more, and has helped Larkin blossom. I don't think he is easily replaceable.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I completely agree that Nyquist will be irrelevant by the time this team becomes competitive.

Since Nyquist was called up in full time in the '13-14 season, he is closer to a 25 goal scorer and 50 pt guy. In the past, I thought he was just a by-product of Zetterberg's greatness. This year he has shown me much more, and has helped Larkin blossom. I don't think he is easily replaceable.

He has exactly one 50 point season. He's not worth damaging our future cap.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He has exactly one 50 point season. He's not worth damaging our future cap.

Another 4-year contract with reasonable 6M caphit and he'll be just fine.

No one is gonna overpay for 2nd liners anymore. Every GM knows how it kills the cap. Offers have been very reasonable on latest free agencies.

We need some decent players for our transition period to carry this team from old to youth.

Let the bad players go. Vanek, Frk, Witkowski. Those kind of crap is not needed. Keep good players who play good hockey and who can teach that good hockey for our next generation kids.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Another 4-year contract with reasonable 6M caphit and he'll be just fine.

No one is gonna overpay for 2nd liners anymore. Every GM knows how it kills the cap. Offers have been very reasonable on latest free agencies.

We need some decent players for our transition period to carry this team from old to youth.

Let the bad players go. Vanek, Frk, Witkowski. Those kind of crap is not needed. Keep good players who play good hockey and who can teach that good hockey for our next generation kids.

We're in the exact same situation as when Holland re-signed Abdelkader and Helm. Nyquist has no reason to take a team friendly deal. A 4 year contract will be closer to 7m than 6m.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We're in the exact same situation as when Holland re-signed Abdelkader and Helm.

No we aren't. Then we were a playoff team, now we are a Bottom feeder who can't make himself any worse.

Nyquist is not threat for anybody for a roster spot. This is our forward core:

1. Larkin
2. Nyquist ---> tarde him and sign back --> Nyquist or hnt for better (Panarin).
3. Mantha
4. Athanasiou
5. Rasmussen
6. Bertuzzi
7. Nielsen
8. Abdelkader
9. Vanek --> trade or let him walk ---> bring Zadina in.
10. Helm
11. Glendening
12. Frk --> let him walk, bring Svechnikov in.
-----------
13. Ehn
14. De la Rose
----------------
15. Witkowski
16. Megan

Let Witkowski walk and put Megan in AHL. Prepare to trade Darren Helm on the 2020 deadline, because he loses his NTC on next summer. That will open a spot for Veleno after 2020 WJC, where he will the 1st line Center for Canada.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
No we aren't. Then we were a playoff team, now we are a Bottom feeder who can't make himself any worse.

No we weren't.

I have no problem with Nyquist, but I do have a problem signing him to a 6+ year deal. He'll get 6x6 at least and at least 4 of those years are going to be terrible.

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad