Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
upload_2019-1-23_0-53-32.png

Data from this season from Evolving-Hockey

Nyquist looks pretty good in here.

Asking a 1st should be a no-brainer.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't understand why people want our second best player gone who is also in the middle of his prime. In three years, he's the type of player we'll need when we are contending.

Contending for what? A playoff spot? I do not expect Gus to be a particularly good and effective hockey player three years from now.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Contending for what? A playoff spot? I do not expect Gus to be a particularly good and effective hockey player three years from now.

Why?

Power-forwards and physical players tend to regress at 32-year of age.

What kind of player is Gustav Nyquist? - THE EXACT OPPOSITE.

Playmakers, smaller guys and good skaters age on a best possible way. <--- Nyquist is that kind of player.

Nyquist is 29 years old. Signing him to 4-5 year deal pushes him to 34-35 year old on last year.

This is not f***ing Franzen or Zetterberg deal where he would be 40 on the end of the contract.

Last edited:

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
People want to sign him to an extension fine but still he MUST be traded at the deadline, just in case he isn’t getting that deal or doesn’t want to sign... I personally think he is our #1 guy that needs to be traded within a month

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
At this point in the rebuild, it is crazy to pass up late 1st round pick.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I've always been a Nyquist guy and won't lose sleep if he's on the team next year (depending on cap hit+term of course) but the smart thing to do is trade him. Then you re-evaluate whether you want to sign him as UFA in July.

Reactions: kliq

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Trade him. He's had a steady decline prior to his contract year. Happens all the time. My bet is he gets 6 mil+ per year off this year and returns to his typical 40-45 pts in 82 next year, and even worse after that.

Get a 1st at the deadline and wish him all the best. Let someone else give him the dumb deal this summer

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I remember last year mentioning how well Nyquist was playing all season despite the production not really being any different, thought it was best season since 13-14

im glad his production has jumped to match his (now even more) elevated play

Reactions: KJoe88

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I remember last year mentioning how well Nyquist was playing all season despite the production not really being any different, thought it was best season since 13-14

im glad his production has jumped to match his (now even more) elevated play

I strongly believe Nyquist will have at least two to three maybe four more years of 50-60p seasons still.

I think he’s just now starting to become that player we wanted. Especially now that he’s getting top line minutes with Larkin.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
At this point, I'm fine with either trading or extending Nyquist.

However, if they don't trade him, I would hope that it's because they have a pretty clear indication that he wants to come back and for a reasonable contract. If it's just a hope that he's going to do that and he ends up going elsewhere or they steeply overpay or give him over 4 years, it's going to look pretty bad.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
You don't pay a winger a big contract if he's not going to score goals. He's racking up assists but he's lost his scoring touch. Move him for an asset. He's not getting any younger either.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No thanks, Dealing Gus makes the most sense right now. While yes he's piling up the assists his goal scoring needs a lot to be desired. And you don't give big money out if they can't score any more. Gus best season was 27 goals 27 assists for 54 points. While yes he did lead the team in assists his lack of goal scoring concerns me a lot. To want to give him a big deal. Doubt he takes any thing less then 6 years $33 million. He's just not worth it to a rebuilding team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It looks impressive, but how exactly is Rantanen at the bottom of the list?

I think those bars are vs. ice-time based. Points/min etc. Rantanen logs huge minutes vs. other 1st liners, and that could do a negative favor for you on this data. I did raise the bar very high like putting the ice-time level really high, so there's no 9 minute flukes on the group. Only best 1st liners.

And maybe his scoring is somehow inflated. I remember Rantanen doing multiple empty-netters and assisting many empty-netters. Still a TOP30 player if you got your name on the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad