Would you extend Nyquist?

What to do with Nyquist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Trade him at the TDL. If the Wings could resign him on a 3 year deal I'd have no problem taking him back in the summer, but I doubt you see him sign for less than 5/6/30 or maybe 6/6/36. He isn't worth that to this team going forward at the price/ years. On a short term deal, I rather like his chemistry with Larkin and this team really doesn't have a lot in terms of playmakers at the moment, Gus is probably top 3 if not the best.

Reactions: 14ari13

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
He needs to be traded and not brought back. He never elevated his play while he was here. He disappeared in the playoffs too many times. This organization needs to move on from him. Time for new blood.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Hope for the best but expect the worst folks. I'm 50/50 on Holland extending him or if he strikes out in UFA with some big names...come on down Nyquist you're the next horrible contract on Holland has to spend all the way to the cap!!!

Reactions: RedWingzz

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Trade him at the TDL. If the Wings could resign him on a 3 year deal I'd have no problem taking him back in the summer, but I doubt you see him sign for less than 5/6/30 or maybe 6/6/36. He isn't worth that to this team going forward at the price/ years. On a short term deal, I rather like his chemistry with Larkin and this team really doesn't have a lot in terms of playmakers at the moment, Gus is probably top 3 if not the best.
This is his contract year.
He has one season of 54 points. Is it worth 6 m?

Reactions: avssuc

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This is his contract year.
He has one season of 54 points. Is it worth 6 m?

6M is nothing nowadays.

When Johan Franzen signed his deal with 3.95M caphit against 56.8M cap, same sum nowadays against 83M cap would be 5.77M.

It's normal 2nd line money.

With reasonsable term, there is absolutely nothing to whine there. NOTHING.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
6M is nothing nowadays.

When Johan Franzen signed his deal with 3.95M caphit against 56.8M cap, same sum nowadays against 83M cap would be 5.77M.

1. Franzen was far better than Nyquist
2. Franzen was a 1/2 line winger on a stacked team
3. This is Nyquist best season

I am not against bringing him back, I just think that singing him to a reasonable deal.

It also depends what direction the team goes.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
1. Franzen was far better than Nyquist
2. Franzen was a 1/2 line winger on a stacked team
3. This is Nyquist best season

I am not against bringing him back, I just think that singing him to a reasonable deal.

It also depends what direction the team goes.
Counterpoints:

1. Franzen's contract was 11 years; Nyquist's will likely be only be around 5 (give or take a year on either side). The "dummy" years on Franzen's contract artificially lowered the AAV in the early years. In the first 5 years of Franzen's contract, he made $26 million in actual cash earnings ($5.2 AAV) - which is equivalent to a $7.6mm AAV today. If you were willing to give Nyquist 8 years (and I'm not saying they should), I bet the AAV would be much less than $6 million.
2. When Franzen signed his contract, he had never finished more than 38 points in a season prior to his big contract year in 2009 (when he finished with 59). So hardly different than Nyquist in that regard.
3. You can say that Franzen was better playoff performer than Nyquist, but Franzen actually signed his contract before the 2009 playoffs. So when he signed that contact, the Wings basically paid him on the basis of one good playoff run in 2008 (in his 2 other playoff appearances in 2006 and 2007, he only had 10 points in 24 games).

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
6M is nothing nowadays.

Ummmm what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad