Would you extend Nyquist?

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by Henkka, Sep 5, 2018.

1. We're doing some testing. Please do not adjust your set.
    Dismiss Notice
?

What to do with Nyquist?

Poll closed Sep 26, 2018.
  1. Let him walk as UFA.

1.0%
  2. Sign him on extension already.

4.1%
  3. Trade him and never sign him back. Save the cap space for other contracts.

75.5%
  4. Trade him and try to sign him back as UFA for 5.75M

19.4%
  1. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Top Secret
    Because Nyquist looked internally good also on last year.

Keeping good players in the team, imo, reasonable building. Crop the anchors, one by one.

Tatar was falling towards a problematic contract. Nyquist keeps his level, and he is not proably gonna be overpaid, or underpaid either. Just OK value for what he brings. That's rare for UFA. Usually bargains are RFA guys.

2. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Having a big year right before you hit UFA is usually the recipe to getting paid.

I would be surprised if either Howard or Nyquist signed a reasonable deal at this point. Homegrown Red Wings hitting UFA have not gotten team-friendly deals in recent years.

3. Eternal Sunshine

Eternal Sunshine Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I do have a fear that if Nyquist re-signs his contract will pretty quickly group him with Helm, Abdelkader, Nielsen, Dekeyser in the albatross category

4. Heaton

Heaton Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Management
    The second he signs a new contract with the Wings it's going to happen.

5. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Also, he's making $5.5m this season. He's the fifth highest scoring UFA forward so far. Some guys re-sign before UFA hits, and suddenly he could be looking at walking into July as the top UFA forward. He could have some big numbers coming his way.

jkutswings likes this.
  6. TatarTangle

TatarTangle Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    It'll be his last long-term contract so good for him, it just better not be with Detroit hah.

Hopefully someone is desperate enough to send a 1st but I'd be cool with a 2nd + a prospect.

Winger98 likes this.
  7. BinCookin

BinCookin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Hopefully Holland treats Nyquist's contract like Mike Green. 2-3 Year deal. Or no deal.
    I think Holland would admit mistakes especially with the Abby contract. But he has not signed anyone to a really long deal in the last few years. Lets hope this sanity continues.

Obviously as a rebuilding team, the 1st round pick we could get (or 2 2nd's) would be highly valuable. Especially when our odds to resign him are just as good after we trade him.

Winger98 likes this.
  8. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    6 year deal to Nielsen at age 32 (2016)
    6 year deal to Dekeyser (2016)
    5 year deal to Helm (2016)

I agree with you in that I prefer a shorter deal, but considering he just gave Helm a 5 year deal at the same age, I don't consider this likely.

Fire Ken Holland likes this.
  9. Reddwit

Reddwit Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    We really shouldn’t. We need to commit to the rebuild. It seems highly unlikely that Nyquist would be worth his money a couple years into his big UFA contract and we’ll be needing that money around the same time. You’re also passing on futures by retaining him and you can never have too many 1st or 2nd rounders.

CaptainZetterberg40 likes this.
  10. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Top Secret
    Don't think the offers will change much from the 6M range. After Panarin shuts down the phone, Holland will offer that 6M, to keep him under Larkin caphit.

11. tsweeney

tsweeney Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I actually don't think, even though it's only two offseasons ago, that 2016 is very relevant when looking forward at what Holland would do. The team's circumstances were different then. For instance, we still had Zetterberg, ostensibly for another 4-5 years (and at a minimum 3, if you figure that he cuts out of the last two years of his deal), we hadn't broken the playoff streak yet, and DDK hadn't gone in full reverse to being an okay lower pairing D and abysmal top pairing guy.

12. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Well, this is also the first summer in awhile we will have some money to play with.

So if it takes 5-6 years to drive down the caphit for Nyquist, I don’t see Holland being opposed to that. May all be a moot point though, because he may want greener pastures as a UFA.

I do not have much faith money will be spent responsibly this summer, but we will see.

13. tsweeney

tsweeney Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Innocent until proven guilty in my mind. I don't want to assume that Holland will do something "irresponsible" without giving him the chance to do it. Particularly with the evidence that he's been looking at dealing established guys for a while now.

14. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    That does not apply at all in this situation, IMO. We got into a bad cap situation already because of this. There is a clear precedent.

I also worry even if Yzerman was to come in, we would be at risk to bad contracts. He may feel he has something to prove with a boatload of cash, which could lead to bad signings as well.

15. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I don't fault him at all if he goes after a big pay day somewhere. These guys put their bodies through hell, and deserve to cash in for whatever they can get, imo.

our offer might not change, but the likelihood of him agreeing to that number may not be that great. To me, that looks like a number he takes if he tests the market and doesn't get another offer he likes.

Agree about the concerns with Holland. Whenever he's had significant cap space, he's found a way to justify using it. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he finds a way of using it again this summer even if he misses out on one of the big targets.

With yzerman, my worry is more that he would just overvalue someone. He did it with Coburn, imo. And Callahan. And Filppula.

16. jkutswings

jkutswings WTB defense

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I believe there's already a precedence in that particular court of law. Holland has been shrewd with RFA players, but in UFA-land, he's made more regrettable moves than good ones. We'll see how it goes.

17. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Top Secret
    And Carle.

Winger98 likes this.
  18. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Yeah, now I'm kinda worried either way. Hopefully we get one of the *good* RFA's so they eat up most of our cap space.

19. tsweeney

tsweeney Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I don't argue that we got into a bad spot. However, I would argue that there was precedent based on a certain set of circumstances (playoff streak, Mr. I routinely pressing both his teams to turn over every rock to try to make them better right now and not a future focus.

I think it's too negative to just assume that Holland will continue to make the decisions like that when the gorilla is off his back of making the playoffs every year no matter what. Would it surprise me if he spent like crazy? No. But it's not fair to just assume he'll do it. He stopped making trades for rentals and held onto firsts jealously the last couple years. He dealt a long term Wing 3/4th of a season after extending him for 5 years. There are enough signs that it could be different to not just assume that it will be as it was.

20. tsweeney

tsweeney Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    And I suppose that's how I'm different. I understand what Holland was doing with all the deals except Helm and Abby. Those were awful, but the rest, just like the trades he didn't make, all made sense individually but the reasoning fell apart on a full scale view.

Give the guy a chance once it seems like he's committed to a full rebuild as opposed to on the fly.

21. Heaton

Heaton Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Management
    I think Nyquist would be silly to not hit the open market after a career point season. Either Holland overpays to keep him from reaching the market, or Nyquist leaves.

The Zetterberg Era and Winger98 like this.
  22. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    #1 - You should not need to be re-building in order to spend responsibly.

I very much approve of the TDL moves the last 2 years. But when push comes to shove, and there is money to be spent that could make the team competitive, no I don't think Holland would sit on his hands and say "I'm re-building". I think (to some extent) he has only embraced re-building because there hasn't been a lot of opportunity to improve the team because of how much he handcuffed himself with the cap. I think deep down we all know he would prefer to compete as opposed to re-build.

Cap space + UFA is a slippery slope, regardless of who is in charge. I am skeptical given both the track records of Holland and Yzerman in this regard. Sorry if that comes across pessimistic, but I just see a lot of temptation for some guys who have been kind of spotty in UFA lately.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  23. WingedWheel1987

WingedWheel1987 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Retired
    Extending Nyquist would be really dumb for soooooo many reasons. Nyquist's agent would just have to point to Gator's atrocious contract and demand six million a year for seven years.

24. Konnan511

Konnan511 Mamba Moments

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I say we re-sign him for somewhere between 5x5 and 5x6.

25. Claypool

Claypool Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Jesus Christ no. He'll be 30 next season. Time to move on.