Worst Hab players of all time or in your lifetime?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Exactly ! Tremblay with Risebrough and Lambert made a real change in 4 consecutive PO wins. I remember his very first shift. He crosscheck O'Reilly pretty hard on the board, then Risebrough come and crosschek O'Reilly too. Tremblay and Risebrough were carefree doing that. Some arrogance of the youth. O'Reilly was very mad at them.
Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Trembly score 2 goals in his first NHL game?

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Sorry not a habs fan(from WPG) but married a french girl and moved to the Mtl region in the late 90's and early 00's(during the 'dark years' for the habs). Watched a fair amount of Montreal games despite my waning interest in the league( I essentially stopped watching after the 04-05 lockout and now only watch world juniors).

That being said, he was by no means an unskilled player or the worst player on those teams but...

patrice-brisebois-1996-45.jpg

They didn't call him Breeze-bye for nothing.

Also from when the Jets 1.0 still existed I disliked Claude Lemieux(for diving) and Corson(for being a general clown) the most. Disliked Svoboda for similar reasons to Brisebois, guy made a career out of being a speed bump for Cam Neely.

Edit- Completely forgot about Ribeiro, although I basically stopped watching at the same time he got going. Only real memory is him being an absolute joke during the 04 playoffs, both on the ice and on the scoreboard.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
has to be patrick traverse and christian laflamme

This x 1000.

I have watched this team relentlessly for 35 years and those are easily the worst two I've ever seen.

I'm seeing a lot of names thrown out here that I don't get. Popovic was unpopular with many, but I'm sorry folks.... he was not even close to as bad as Traverse and Laflamme. Light years ahead.

Dick Duff

Feb 17, 2014
Edmonton
Probably the all-time worst goalie I have ever witnessed playing for the Canadiens - in my lifetime (I'm in my mid-60s) - was Denis DeJordy, way back in the very early 1970s... Seven games played and a 4.51 GAA. I kid you not, he was even worse than André "Red Light" Racicot.

Reactions: Runner77

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Probably the all-time worst goalie I have ever witnessed playing for the Canadiens - in my lifetime (I'm in my mid-60s) - was Denis DeJordy, way back in the very early 1970s... Seven games played and a 4.51 GAA. I kid you not, he was even worse than André "Red Light" Racicot.
Ha ! Dont remember his specifically .....but remember the name.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
This x 1000.

I have watched this team relentlessly for 35 years and those are easily the worst two I've ever seen.

Difference being Traverse(who I hardly remembered till reading this thread) was a fringe at best nhl defenceman. He probably shouldn't of been in the league, career AHLer. Found his way on the Habs for parts of a couple seasons because of a lack of depth and minimal options.

I posted Brisebois earlier. Brisebois was of course better then Traverse in every way, it frankly isn't close. Difference is Brisebois was making 10x the money, playing as a #1 when he might not of even cracked the lineup in Detroit of Colorado, not even going into his vacation in Paris mid season because of 'stress'.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
People seem to be answering their "least favorite" Hab instead of the worst one. In no way, shape or form is Scott Gomez the "worst" Hab anyone saw play. He was never even the worst Hab on his own team.
Who are you to tell someone who is worst?

Worst can be the worst impact on a franchise, like paying Brisebois Scott Stevens money during financial turmoil for a franchise.

Reactions: vokiel and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Palushaj had zero balance. Pretty vanilla as far as forwards go. Downey & Murray were brutal too. Scrivens & Auld are the worst goalies I've seen. I liked Him but Douglas Murray was pretty ****.

We had a running joke about Palushaj but can't remember it. He was that bad.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ben Maxwell. Always disliked him simply because he was drafted one spot before Milan and went on to put up zero points for the Habs.

Then I went to a party and he was there with the girl I was digging so then I just couldn’t stand him :laugh:

Love the anecdote and how your stance about the player became personal, lol.

Reactions: Gally11

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I can't believe I read through this entire thread and didn't see one single mention of John Scott.

He only played one game for us, but god damn, I would say that he's probably the least talented player to ever wear the CH. Literally the only skill the guy had was punching faces. He was downright terrible at every other aspect of the game. This man had no business being on skates.

The fact that this guy was able to log 286 NHL games is astounding.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
There were a few players who couldn't skate at the minimum NHL level. Niiniimaa comes to mind. John Scott of course. George Laraques was not just a loser but he was literally awful at hockey too. I can't believe he had such an ego. Semin's goose was cooked too.

There were definitely "worse" players but I think I've purposefully forgotten them all. Most truly awful players don't manage to feature for too long. Even if they're coach's favourite, if they're truly bad they don't get too many looks. No coach purposefully hurts their chances.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I've always had an aversion to these two players:

As a draft pick bust, few compare to the Habs's first round pick in 1975, Robin Sadler:

Selected 9th overall in 1975 by the Canadiens, Sadler’s controversial foray into pro sports could have been one that led to Cup rings through any road he had chosen. Instead, training camp with the Canadiens had been a disaster. After one week and a $250,000 contract offer from the Canadiens, he walked away and expressed his desire to become a fireman.

“I found it wasn’t a game anymore, it’s a serious business, a lot more serious than I like to play,” said Sadler.

The Vancouver native returned home and wound up driving an Eaton truck for $250 a week.

The Icing Call: The Bust Chronicles : Robin Sadler

And the year the Habs selected Andrei Kostitsyn, they could have had any one of these, instead:

Jeff Carter, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergeron, and Shea Weber.

I know, Rearview Nostradamus is always right. But, it's hard to let go of who they passed on.
Don't care AK was a good player. Another kid that was mishandled. His brother even moreso. You don't let early teen/20's kids hang out with the mob. Thanks Hamerlik

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I can't believe I read through this entire thread and didn't see one single mention of John Scott.

He only played one game for us, but god damn, I would say that he's probably the least talented player to ever wear the CH. Literally the only skill the guy had was punching faces. He was downright terrible at every other aspect of the game. This man had no business being on skates.

Scored in the all star game though. I liked Scott. He was the everyman and he has a mech engineering degree as well. 10 seasons pro. Compare that to Blunden or Fisher(who never played an NHL season) or LeBlanc because of how he was handled or why he was picked in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don't care AK was a good player. Another kid that was mishandled. His brother even moreso. You don't let early teen/20's kids hang out with the mob. Thanks Hamerlik

Maybe he could have been a good player -- we'll never know. What we do know is the opportunity cost of missing out on a ton of players in his draft slot with high potential and who realized it. However, that's a pure hindsight approach which as we all know, is far too easy to do.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Darcy Tucker, couldn’t stand him

Remembering cheering when Jiri Slegr beat the **** out him, probably the only time in my life I was happy a Hab got his ass kicked

Honorable mentions to Max Laps
Me too didn't like either yapper at all. It might be why I don't like Shaw ether.

Tucker POS tough guy with the finger wag at the end.
And cherry never called him out after showboating.

However this gem

Epic elbow, wasn't a huge kovy fan for his many many nights off, but I think this makes up for it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

He only played one game for us
, but god damn, I would say that he's probably the least talented player to ever wear the CH. Literally the only skill the guy had was punching faces. He was downright terrible at every other aspect of the game. This man had no business being on skates.

That's probably why you didn't see his name. As crazy as it may sound, if you're going by the ''one game is enough to qualify'' standard, there are worse guys than Scott.
Brock Trotter? Shawn Belle? Matthieu Descoteaux? Barry Richter? Eric Bertrand? Francois Groleau? Jonathan Delisle?..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad