Worst Hab players of all time or in your lifetime?

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
By position:

G: David Aebischer. Worst goalie I've ever seen in my life. My God, he was bad. He had no form whatsoever. A pure athletic/reflex goalie, except he was a terrible athlete and his reflexes weren't quick enough. I remember this board had a nickname for him. Can't recall what it was.

D: Patrick Traverse and Karl Alzner (tie). I thought I'd never see a defenseman as bad as Traverse then Alzner arrived on the scene. Not similar in style at all, but the results are the same: turnovers and lots of them. Honourable Mention: Murray Baron.

LW: Juha Lind: the blandest of the bland. Makes Tom Pyatt seem interesting. Pierre Dagenais: His only redeeming quality was that he had great hands and was aces in the shoot-out. One of the worst skaters to dress for the Canadiens.

C: Bill Lindsay. He's actually a winger, but don't tell Michel Therrien that. Over used 4th liner that drove me nuts. Chad Kilger: totally disinterested and ineffective at everything.

RW: Mariusz Czerkawski: soft, weak and lazy. HM: Georges Laraque. Near the end of his career and he couldn't do much. Didn't fight. Couldn't skate.

I really like that.
Aebischer was .. I only remember a goalie with an odd "stance", allowing too many goals. Never hated the guy... was not around for so long. Just couldn't get the job done.

As for Traverse.. I remember how he prevented goals, on 2 occasions, in separate games. If my memory serves me well, one clearing the puck as it was going in (which may happen every night) but once he stopped the puck mid air by the goal line with his stick, a little over the ice, to prevent a goal. But yes.. he was a "two-way contract" material or so...

Lind was all Speed... tools but no toolbox I guess. He was not productive. Kept you waiting for something to happen.

Kilger looked like the guy who could make a difference, but he did not. Was good on the PK if I remember correctly.

Czerkawski. I remember hearing he didn't want to play in Montreal. He went to the AHL.. but eventually ended up back in NYI scoring another 20+ goals season as he used to... ??

Laraque wasn't so useful neither. Kept on saying he needed to play all the times. Carbonneau used him as a 13th forward, in and out. Laraque had back problems and was looking to lose weight to help him out.

Reactions: Runner77

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
why did you change names?
I quit the forum to another one until it closed.
I was always in fight with too many posters here at the time. So better not use my old nickname again. I came back here when Subban was traded. I was reading messages from time to time, without wanting to register. When I've read what Mtl fans said about Subban on Preds forum I found it incomplete. So I register just to post my version of Subban to the Nashville fans. And here I am, posting sporadically.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
Absolute worst I'm not sure. Relative to what they should be, Gomez without a doubt.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Tucker ... the players around the league called him "Side Show Bob" A real spark plug...for the other team.

Roberiro .... Idiot. Nobody liked that guy.....including himself.

Plekanec.....turtle neck was the poster boy for perimeter player. Could be counted on to disappear at play off time. I wanted him gone for the last 500 of his 1000 games.

Gorges....could run for most over rated player of all time. The way he played D and what little assets he had made him completely useless once he crossed center ice. Every time he found a puck he would fire around the boards no matter who was there or which end of the rink he was in. He was so bad against the Rangers in 014 even MB was fed up and could not could get rid of him fast enough. I think he had 3 own goals and wiped out his own goalie on another in that series alone. Could just as easily played his game with a snow shovel instead of a hockey stick. Ended up helping Sabres with well planned tank job.......But a hell of nice guy. ( ;

At one point Gorges was among my favourite players, than one day it just clicked, this guy isnt a great defensive dman, the only reason he blocks so many shots is because the other team always has the puck when he’s on the ice. Hated his between period pep talks on 24CH too.

But my vote goes to Czerkawski and Samsonov, total disapointments for the habs.

Bring Bak Damphousse

May 27, 2002
Canada
Sergei Samsonov......freggin prick asked for a trade right after we signed him to that deal.

Niniima who was just flat out horrible but I’m gonna give the nod to Alzner for Dmen ......he’s just slow, fat and ineffective.....he’s expensive and frustrating to watch.

Player I hated the most was Jocelyn Thibault.....his shoulders were as broad as my sisters.....

Hands of Stone.....Bournival.

One of the Habs few wins in the late 90s was dumping Thibault for Hackett.

Reactions: jaffy27

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I can't say the worst habs. Most frustrating to watch... or just plain.. bland.

I think defensive forwards, those who are not really offensive, can get hated for the opportunities they miss.
Dackell used to fan on shots often and that was frustrating!!

Guys like Jason Ward... he was a prospect and all but.
Ben Maxwell.. the only thing I remember from him is crossing the blue line and just shooting the puck high like.. ?? anyway, he couldn't make it work. -------------- Eric Chouinard, another one.
A guy like Després (although on a PTO) I wanted it to work for him but his on-ice decisions were bad.
Guys like Barry Richter which was mentioned already. Don't know about Jim .. I had a USA team card of him, only card listed... Barry Richter was on same team.. Campbell.
Richter.jpg JimCam.jpg

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Depends how you choose to answer it. Players have discernible differences and you can't possibly like every single player who was a Hab. Some of us have disliked the same players for different reasons. It's interesting to see how other fans are most times on the same page about certain players.

Now, no one is disputing what the players had to do to be among the best so as to be able to play in the NHL. Just because some players are dubbed the worst, doesn't mean one is disputing what it takes for them to have made the NHL. It's really an exercise of the worst among the best, if you will.
Well said, but if you read through the thread, there is some pretty immature things being said.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Exactly ! Tremblay with Risebrough and Lambert made a real change in 4 consecutive PO wins. I remember his very first shift. He crosscheck O'Reilly pretty hard on the board, then Risebrough come and crosschek O'Reilly too. Tremblay and Risebrough were carefree doing that. Some arrogance of the youth. O'Reilly was very mad at them.

I wish I would have seen that! A real hell raiser line. the current roster would need that.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Without a doubt Patrice "No Balls " Brisebois. Don't care if he could skate or make good passes or collect points - the man avoided contact like it was the plague.He would literally cough up the puck at the first sight of someone rushing at him. And to think, he was actually being paid the same as Scott Stevenson at one point :shakehead A close second is Ed Ronan. Still don't know what exactly he brought to the team and yet somehow managed to play 147 games with them.

(P.S. Hated Gorges too...but i hated more the people on this board who were somehow trying to make a case at the time that he should have been in the discussion for the Norris Trophy if it were for best defensive defensemen)

Reactions: Runner77 and Kimota

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Reverting back to George Laraques, Habs fans might remember that he used to be a warrior, for example he beat the crap of Habs prospect Andrew Archer one time.

When Laraque joined the Habs, there was hope that he would help out a soft team. At that point in time (2009), the NHL was in full-on goon mode, and the eastern conference in particular was a war zone with players like Pronger, Chara, Neil, Lucic, Orr, etc laying waste to the landscape. The Habs were a midget team and constantly being humiliated, and Gainey had recently established the hobbit line as his #1 line. There was hope that Laraque could be an enforcer.

He came in and he started a blog about not enforcing. He asked people's permissions to fight them. He didn't stand up for shit. Gainey played him on a line with Koivu and Kovalev in the playoffs which did nothing. I think that one time the Habs were on an accidental penalty kill because Laraque forgot to get off the bench. After all that, Gainey asked him to stay home.

Laraque had one good use though -- he used to troll Subban. That was funny.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Chris Friggin' Campoli. What was it about him -- he was pretty one-dimensional as I recall. Wasn't he teasing us with his supposed offensive skills but was brutal defensively?

He was a black hole on D... everybody skated by him with ease. He made Brisebois look like an allstar

Bring Bak Damphousse

May 27, 2002
Canada
Reverting back to George Laraques, Habs fans might remember that he used to be a warrior, for example he beat the crap of Habs prospect Andrew Archer one time.

When Laraque joined the Habs, there was hope that he would help out a soft team. At that point in time (2009), the NHL was in full-on goon mode, and the eastern conference in particular was a war zone with players like Pronger, Chara, Neil, Lucic, Orr, etc laying waste to the landscape. The Habs were a midget team and constantly being humiliated, and Gainey had recently established the hobbit line as his #1 line. There was hope that Laraque could be an enforcer.

He came in and he started a blog about not enforcing. He asked people's permissions to fight them. He didn't stand up for ****. Gainey played him on a line with Koivu and Kovalev in the playoffs which did nothing. I think that one time the Habs were on an accidental penalty kill because Laraque forgot to get off the bench. After all that, Gainey asked him to stay home.

Laraque had one good use though -- he used to troll Subban. That was funny.

“The code” he pulled straight out of his ass seemingly the day he signed with us drove me nuts. Thinking we signed the premiere enforcer in the league, but he wont fight without receiving a signed consent form first, makes it hard to do the job.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I really like that.
Aebischer was .. I only remember a goalie with an odd "stance", allowing too many goals. Never hated the guy... was not around for so long. Just couldn't get the job done.
I remember him frequently coming WAY out of net to cut the angle and still letting in the goal because he clearly didn't understand how it worked. Not technical and unathletic is a real bad combo for a goalkeeper :laugh:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I wish I would have seen that! A real hell raiser line. the current roster would need that.
I saw nothing of this on youtube but I got that fight with Bobby Schmautz. Time have changed, the referees could avoid the fight between them but they let them fight. This is the longuest pre-fight I ever saw, its almost funny to see it now. I like the end.:D:naughty:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That's crazy...honorourable mention for worst hab of all time (in your lifetime)?
No. Honorable mention to make my list (see above) But he did not actually make the list.

I like Petry as a number 3 or 4. As a number one or two? Nah

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I saw nothing of this on youtube but I got that fight with Bobby Schmautz. Time have changed, the referees could avoid the fight between them but they let them fight. This is the longuest pre-fight I ever saw, its almost funny to see it now. I like the end.:D:naughty:

Great clip.

and it seems like life time since we seen a #14 on the Canadiens with his gloves off. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad