Worst Hab players of all time or in your lifetime?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
In recent history, I hated Jaroslav Spacek. He epitomized how bloodless the Habs had gotten. During the infamous beatdown the Habs suffered against Boston - I saw big guys Spacek and Hamrlik get ragdolled while they huffed and puffed and Tom Pyatt get pummeled. Spacek was clearly out of shape his entire Habs tenure. Triple chin and all. That Jacques Martin team was, at their worst, yellow-bellied cowards and out of shape bums of Spacek and then Kaberle really exposed the problems. Never liked Hamrlik either but I accept I was wrong about him (he wasn't a bad player, just slow)

I'm still mad

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I'll throw another few names out there: Patrick Traverse, Patrick Poulin, Scott Lachance, Valeri Bure, Dainius Zubrus, Jonas Hoglund.

Valeri Bure was not a bad player at all. He was part of that ''stroumpf line'' with Petrov and Koivu.

He had decent seasons with the Habs. Lead Calgary one season with 75 points.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Janne Niinimaa

I don't know why but I just hated him...never understood the fascination habs fans had with him.

BJGIQ.jpg

Reactions: ArtPeur

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
In recent history, I hated Jaroslav Spacek. He epitomized how bloodless the Habs had gotten. During the infamous beatdown the Habs suffered against Boston - I saw big guys Spacek and Hamrlik get ragdolled while they huffed and puffed and Tom Pyatt get pummeled. Spacek was clearly out of shape his entire Habs tenure. Triple chin and all. That Jacques Martin team was, at their worst, yellow-bellied cowards and out of shape bums of Spacek and then Kaberle really exposed the problems. Never liked Hamrlik either but I accept I was wrong about him (he wasn't a bad player, just slow)

I'm still mad

Pleks only hab to keep his gloves on. Big surprise.

Reactions: Runner77

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Valeri Bure was not a bad player at all. He was part of that ''stroumpf line'' with Petrov and Koivu.

He had decent seasons with the Habs. Lead Calgary one season with 75 points.
He was terrible, especially in the playoffs.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Sorry not a habs fan(from WPG) but married a french girl and moved to the Mtl region in the late 90's and early 00's(during the 'dark years' for the habs). Watched a fair amount of Montreal games despite my waning interest in the league( I essentially stopped watching after the 04-05 lockout and now only watch world juniors).

That being said, he was by no means an unskilled player or the worst player on those teams but...

patrice-brisebois-1996-45.jpg

They didn't call him Breeze-bye for nothing.

Also from when the Jets 1.0 still existed I disliked Claude Lemieux(for diving) and Corson(for being a general clown) the most. Disliked Svoboda for similar reasons to Brisebois, guy made a career out of being a speed bump for Cam Neely.

Edit- Completely forgot about Ribeiro, although I basically stopped watching at the same time he got going. Only real memory is him being an absolute joke during the 04 playoffs, both on the ice and on the scoreboard.

I didn't like Brisebois but when he returned after his stay with the Avs I liked him. He played the role of the good useful vet and there was the whole redemption thing going.

Reactions: Fixxer

Jul 6, 2016
I didn't like Brisebois but when he returned after his stay with the Avs I liked him. He played the role of the good useful vet and there was the whole redemption thing going.

Brisebois was a enough talented d-man. Good skater. But had some brain cramps once in a while.... Like Subban had.

Deceiving players over the years: Gomez, Samsonov, King, + almost every single goons the Habs have hired.

Reactions: Fixxer

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Brisebois was a enough talented d-man. Good skater. But had some brain cramps once in a while.... Like Subban had.

Deceiving players over the years: Gomez, Samsonov, King, + almost every single goons the Habs have hired.
Every player has brain cramps. You don't need to compare the best skater the Habs have had in nearly three decades to Brisebois to make your point.

Reactions: Tighthead

Jul 6, 2016
You favorably compared Breezeby to Subban. Are you aware of that?

We're talking hockey, you don't need to use the Lord's name.

1- Brisebois was making mistakes. Subban did so and no ones complaining.

2- As for the Lord... No disrespect here. But Subban is like a untouchabable deity on this board.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
It's tough to remember the worst players. They don't play nearly enough. I have vague recollection of the guys named in the thread (Like Dave Morissette, Kilger, etc..) but they are millisecond bleeps on the radar.

But since a few people have named *relatively talented* players they felt were awful, allow me to add my own "favorite": Peter Popovic

Popovic was a hulking defenseman... who played like a figure skater. Like, this guy was literally one of the league's softest player despite being 6'5" and his weight hovering anywhere between 225 and 240. It was just shameful to see him get caught up battling in the corners with guys half his size and losing. He had a ridiculously low pain threshold and would complain after hits or light slashes and sometimes collapsed on the ice like a pile of elephant shit while everyone else (including his teammates) was looking at him, wondering what the f*** was up.

I guess I could have lived with his softness and cowardice if he had been an out of this world talent but he was good for 1 goal a year and a few secondary assists. And despite being positionally sound, you couldn't be much of a stay-at-home D back in the days without having some edge in your game.

So yeah, he wasn't a complete plug and there was some fragments of talent there but much like Gomez and others, didn't play to his talent level in Montreal. But unlike Gomez, he's a never-was. He started his NHL career in Montreal and then sucked around the league before crawling back in his hole in Sweden.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Sorry.... but to me it was the late Doug Wickenheiser... Maybe not 'Worst' but 'Disappointing' ..
Yes he did score 25 goals one year for the habs.... so did many others..

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

About the goons, it's been almost a curse almost as the number one centers. The last guy that was near the definition of that and was actually useful was Chris Nilan. Sure he couple play hockey but he was a fighter and instigator. He was our own bad guy so speak. Kordik was just a bum, he didn't do shit but fight other tough guys. Same with Morissette and Roberge, etc...And then later on the disaster that was BGL. The Bruins had guys like Thornton that knew how to do things at the right time and had big jerks that also played hockey like Lucic and Chara. With the Habs, everything to do with grit has been a problem for quite a while. The only guy that has been able to do stuff has been Prust.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
It's tough to narrow it down to a manageable number. Certainly in the late 20th and early 21st centuries most players on the roster have annoyed me. The worst were the ones who annoyed me but didn't annoy their coach or GM enough to be scratched from the lineup. This caused me to hate the coaches and GM's too.

Off the top of my head:

Patrice Brisebois: he is the all time number 1 with a bullet (preferably to the head) worst player in franchise history. The fact that he is also among the franchise leaders for games played illustrates everything that has been wrong with this organization over the past quarter of a century.

Andre Raccicot: who told this clown he could play? Red Light was another in a long line of Habs who was only allowed to exist because of his linguistic pedigree. I'd have sooner had Michel Plasse come out of retirement than let Raccicot anywhere near the Habs' net.

David Desharnais: a player who's over usage caused his coach to be hated as well. And then the GM signed him to a ridiculous contract when no other team would have taken him for free. This player was an avatar for the insanity of coaching and management.

Scott Gomez: the East Coast distributer of "don't give a damn".

Mike Ribiero: once a punk, always a punk. Zero rispeck, zero ka-rack-ter. Just a big effin' zero.

Max Lapierre: see above. Another circus clown the game didn't need.

I look.at these idiots and shake my head when I think that once upon a time, people of my father's generation used to crap on guys like JC Tremblay and Terry Harper, either of whom would automatically be our best defenseman were they playing today. A guy like Bobby Rousseau, who is an afterthought for most fans, would be a folk hero if he was playing for the Habs today. Same goes for Chuck Lefley.

The past 25 years has been an unqualified disaster.

Reactions: PaulD and Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->