Worst Hab players of all time or in your lifetime?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've looked back and didn't find a thread about this.

Which Hab have you hated the most and why? Or maybe, if "hate" is too strong a word, who has disappointed you the most or someone you just couldn't stand?

There could be more than one and it could be a player or players from another era or several eras. It could be someone who played in your lifetime or someone you looked into from another era.

xPqGMAM.jpg

The "worst" for you can be someone who has some qualities but perhaps didn't put in effort consistently. Or, someone who you couldn't relate to for some reason or who drove you nuts cause he seemed to get preferential treatment from the coach or the GM.

Or it could be someone who produced in meaningless games, or who was an early season producer and then disappeared for months. Or who you kind of liked as a Hab but you really hated when he wore another team's colors. Or who flat-out disappeared in the playoffs or who was a shameless diver and faker and it embarrassed you as a fan of the team.

Or still, could even be someone who was consistently orbiting the planet like Rene Bourque:

HRqCVPl.gif

A site attempted a list of the worst Habs, a couple of years ago: Top 15 Worst Montreal Canadiens Players Ever

It could also be someone you hated from the get-go, that the Habs landed in a trade and who you had a strong feeling that it wouldn't work out: Montreal Canadiens: Five Worst Trades of the Last Decade

Or, it could also be a draft bust: Montreal Canadiens Worst 5 Draft Busts During the 2000’s
Maybe someone who was picked ahead of several other much better players who had meaningful careers but the Michael Busto they went for, has always drawn your ire since he continues to be a reminder for who they passed over or perhaps, it was a high pick that just disappeared.

Yet again, it could be a player you used to like but who became long in the tooth, unproductive or lazy in the latter part of his career when he was getting ice time on account of past services rendered, reputation or coach's preference. Maybe his worst years drove you to hate the guy despite his better earlier career. Or maybe, he never produced as a Hab and he was both underperforming and grossly overpaid.

FCep22v.jpg

So who's the Hab player you've really despised and why? Or perhaps several players.

Please let's leave out any race and/or language-related comments or any reasons that violate or may be interpreted as infringing this site's rules.

And let's keep it to players only, not GMs, nor coaches nor anyone else who was or is known for his work while wearing a suit.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've always had an aversion to these two players:

As a draft pick bust, few compare to the Habs's first round pick in 1975, Robin Sadler:

Selected 9th overall in 1975 by the Canadiens, Sadler’s controversial foray into pro sports could have been one that led to Cup rings through any road he had chosen. Instead, training camp with the Canadiens had been a disaster. After one week and a $250,000 contract offer from the Canadiens, he walked away and expressed his desire to become a fireman.

“I found it wasn’t a game anymore, it’s a serious business, a lot more serious than I like to play,” said Sadler.

The Vancouver native returned home and wound up driving an Eaton truck for $250 a week.

The Icing Call: The Bust Chronicles : Robin Sadler

And the year the Habs selected Andrei Kostitsyn, they could have had any one of these, instead:

Jeff Carter, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergeron, and Shea Weber.

I know, Rearview Nostradamus is always right. But, it's hard to let go of who they passed on.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
All time- Gilles Lupien

Lifetime- Gomez/Semin?

Please feel free to provide more detail. It could be a lot of fun to find out what exactly irked you about a given player. We could probably all relate.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'm deviating a bit, so apologies, but the trifecta of Ott, King and Martinsen at the 2017 deadline was so gawd awful that I found myself disliking them as well as Bergevin.

As for a single player, I'd have to say Doug Wickenheiser. Not his fault he was selected before Denis Savard, but I never got over us leaping over Savard to get him at 1st OA. His comparatively poor and foreshortened career sealed it for me.

I hated Claude Lemieux's antics, but managed to root for his mighty on ice performances, of which there were many.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
By position:

G: David Aebischer. Worst goalie I've ever seen in my life. My God, he was bad. He had no form whatsoever. A pure athletic/reflex goalie, except he was a terrible athlete and his reflexes weren't quick enough. I remember this board had a nickname for him. Can't recall what it was.

D: Patrick Traverse and Karl Alzner (tie). I thought I'd never see a defenseman as bad as Traverse then Alzner arrived on the scene. Not similar in style at all, but the results are the same: turnovers and lots of them. Honourable Mention: Murray Baron.

LW: Juha Lind: the blandest of the bland. Makes Tom Pyatt seem interesting. Pierre Dagenais: His only redeeming quality was that he had great hands and was aces in the shoot-out. One of the worst skaters to dress for the Canadiens.

C: Bill Lindsay. He's actually a winger, but don't tell Michel Therrien that. Over used 4th liner that drove me nuts. Chad Kilger: totally disinterested and ineffective at everything.

RW: Mariusz Czerkawski: soft, weak and lazy. HM: Georges Laraque. Near the end of his career and he couldn't do much. Didn't fight. Couldn't skate.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
From my time Habs bad roster

JC Bergeron
A. Racicot (stanley cup winner)

P. Traverse
D. Murray
J. Cullimore
K. Alzner
B. Brown
A. Henry

B. Staubitz
G. Laraque
J. Lind
M. Vukota
J. Cummins
G. Murray
E. Bertrand

Pretty much all Habs from 98 to 01 not name Koivu Theodore Hackett

Im tired but this is not a good lineup

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I hated Claude Lemieux's antics, but managed to root for his mighty on ice performances, of which there were many.

Talk about antics, I used to loathe when Mike Ribeiro as a non-Hab, used to score at the BC and then would engage into an annoying seagull wing-flapping routine as he condescendingly cruised the boards.

Last edited:

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Louis Leblanc, waste of a first round pick. Skated like he belonged in peewee.
Guillaume Latendresse, complete junk. 6'2" and 230 pound ballerina afraid of his own shadow.
PJ Stock, pure garbage, could be the worst player I've ever seen. Poster boy for zero talent hockey players. Just a big mouth who didn't want to be here anyway.
Mario Tremblay, first round pick with 7th round talent. I don't know if he was worse as a player or a coach. Would start trouble and run away.
Benoit Brunet, I don't know why but he reminded me of Kazoo on the Flinstones. Probably because his head and helmet were so huge compared to his body. His best season was 32 points but he sits on french TV and criticizes players and gives advice on how they should play. A complete joke and I'm embarrassed that he wore a Habs jersey.

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones that came to mind right away.

Reactions: Edgy and Runner77

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
I remember when I started watching the Habs when I was young , Turgeon was traded for Murray Barron.

I never understood the trade and tried to like him but he was just really bad and I hated him..couldnt understand how we could give away what to me was our best player.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I remember when I started watching the Habs when I was young , Turgeon was traded for Murray Barron.

I never understood the trade and tried to like him but he was just really bad and I hated him..couldnt understand how we could give away what to me was our best player.

Wasn't Shayne corson part of that deal?

Things ended bad for turgeon in Montreal. The crowd was on him, booing him every time he touched the puck.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
From my time Habs bad roster

JC Bergeron
A. Racicot (stanley cup winner)

P. Traverse
D. Murray
J. Cullimore
K. Alzner
B. Brown
A. Henry

B. Staubitz
G. Laraque
J. Lind
M. Vukota
J. Cummins
G. Murray
E. Bertrand

Pretty much all Habs from 98 to 01 not name Koivu Theodore Hackett

Im tired but this is not a good lineup
Robert Dirk
Sylvain Blouin

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
By position:

G: David Aebischer. Worst goalie I've ever seen in my life. My God, he was bad. He had no form whatsoever. A pure athletic/reflex goalie, except he was a terrible athlete and his reflexes weren't quick enough. I remember this board had a nickname for him. Can't recall what it was.

D: Patrick Traverse and Karl Alzner (tie). I thought I'd never see a defenseman as bad as Traverse then Alzner arrived on the scene. Not similar in style at all, but the results are the same: turnovers and lots of them. Honourable Mention: Murray Baron.

LW: Juha Lind: the blandest of the bland. Makes Tom Pyatt seem interesting. Pierre Dagenais: His only redeeming quality was that he had great hands and was aces in the shoot-out. One of the worst skaters to dress for the Canadiens.

C: Bill Lindsay. He's actually a winger, but don't tell Michel Therrien that. Over used 4th liner that drove me nuts. Chad Kilger: totally disinterested and ineffective at everything.

RW: Mariusz Czerkawski: soft, weak and lazy. HM: Georges Laraque. Near the end of his career and he couldn't do much. Didn't fight. Couldn't skate.
Lindsay was actually pretty in playoff upset one year against Boston.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
way back in 1933 a guy by the name of.......

Johnny Gagnon, 5'5", 140 lbs, a precursor re the hate that was eventually cultivated for DD.:sarcasm:

Gagnon was third leading scorer on the team. Habs lost in the quarter finals.

Of note, there were only two forwards on the team that stood over 6' tall. Something that the current Habs's edition can relate to.

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad