Worst Hab players of all time or in your lifetime?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I said it on the first page and am shocked he hasn’t been mentioned again. Even by some of the oldtimers. This guy was literally the last ankle burner type skater the Habs ever had. This guys skating made Brad Marsh look like Paul Coffey.

Gilles Lupien hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com
Lupien played in an era when teams needed goons. His job wasnt to skate, it was to beat the crap out of people who took liberties with Lafleur and Shutt. He did that job very well.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Louis Leblanc, waste of a first round pick. Skated like he belonged in peewee.
Guillaume Latendresse, complete junk. 6'2" and 230 pound ballerina afraid of his own shadow.
PJ Stock, pure garbage, could be the worst player I've ever seen. Poster boy for zero talent hockey players. Just a big mouth who didn't want to be here anyway.
Mario Tremblay, first round pick with 7th round talent. I don't know if he was worse as a player or a coach. Would start trouble and run away.
Benoit Brunet, I don't know why but he reminded me of Kazoo on the Flinstones. Probably because his head and helmet were so huge compared to his body. His best season was 32 points but he sits on french TV and criticizes players and gives advice on how they should play. A complete joke and I'm embarrassed that he wore a Habs jersey.

I'm sure there are more but these are the ones that came to mind right away.
I sometimes wonder if people actually watched hockey. Brunet was an exciting little player that got injured a lot. He wasn't the worst player we've ever had. We've had so many bad players over the years. Gomez just hits me as the worst for the money. Our worst players of all time are guys we've never heard of who only played a few shifts before being benched.

Slipknot

Lion King
Nov 15, 2017
Alzner is my new top.

Stephane Fiset, this guy was pathetic as a goalie.

Joey Juneau, his career started alright but, as a Habs, he was bloody weak.

Patrick Poulin, I don't think I need to say more.

Dave Morrisette.

Slipknot

Lion King
Nov 15, 2017
I sometimes wonder if people actually watched hockey. Brunet was an exciting little player that got injured a lot. He wasn't the worst player we've ever had. We've had so many bad players over the years. Gomez just hits me as the worst for the money. Our worst players of all time are guys we've never heard of who only played a few shifts before being benched.

Alzner has a season long tenure with the Habs in his sleeve and trust me, this guy is the WORST player. At least those that were benched, they didn't hurt the team, Alzner hurt the team and fans altogether.

Reactions: Runner77

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yeah, you have this avatar since a long long time buddy. That was when I had that gif animated Lafleur psychedelic avatar with the flash flare in his teeth.

2018-11-14 12.15.28.jpg

Reactions: PaulD and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What an odd thread. IDK tbh, Patrick Traverse ? George Parros ?

All in good fun. We've had a ton of the other type of thread where it's the best forward, best goalie, best edition, best this, that and the other.

There had never been a worst player(s) or most annoying player(s) -- and we've mostly all had someone who we couldn't stomach as a Hab, for a host of reasons.

Great to see we were not alone.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
In recent history, I hated Jaroslav Spacek. He epitomized how bloodless the Habs had gotten. During the infamous beatdown the Habs suffered against Boston - I saw big guys Spacek and Hamrlik get ragdolled while they huffed and puffed and Tom Pyatt get pummeled. Spacek was clearly out of shape his entire Habs tenure. Triple chin and all. That Jacques Martin team was, at their worst, yellow-bellied cowards and out of shape bums of Spacek and then Kaberle really exposed the problems. Never liked Hamrlik either but I accept I was wrong about him (he wasn't a bad player, just slow)

I'm still mad

Hamrlik and Spacek shut down the Ovechkin line and then Crosby in the 2010 playoffs and I will always respect them for that. Halak gets all the credit but people forget how important those two were.

Reactions: ArtPeur

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Hamrlik and Spacek shut down the Ovechkin line and then Crosby in the 2010 playoffs and I will always respect them for that. Halak gets all the credit but people forget how important those two were.
The Habs did very well as a team in those series, yes. Hamrlik and Spacek did well, yes. (Subban helped a lot too) That doesn't make up for how out of shape and generally worse for wear Hamr and Spacek were for the general entirety of their Habs careers. Nor their softness in the face of the bully Bruins. Spacek in particular. Fat bum. In the 2010 playoffs Spacek only played 10 games, fyi. He was held pointless in a 7 game first series loss the following year.

Those two series, though exciting and fun, are overrated imo. The Habs fell apart against Philly, Halak in particular. Everyone conveniently forgets to mention that. Maybe it's low standards.

Reactions: ArtPeur and PaulD

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
The Habs did very well as a team in those series, yes. Hamrlik and Spacek did well, yes. (Subban helped a lot too) That doesn't make up for how out of shape and generally worse for wear Hamr and Spacek were for the general entirety of their Habs careers. Nor their softness in the face of the bully Bruins. Spacek in particular. Fat bum. In the 2010 playoffs Spacek only played 10 games, fyi. He was held pointless in a 7 game first series loss the following year.

Those two series, though exciting and fun, are overrated imo. The Habs fell apart against Philly, Halak in particular. Everyone conveniently forgets to mention that. Maybe it's low standards.

Yeah I mean they were pretty crappy in general (Spacek especially) but they had their moments every now and then

Californiadreamin

Nov 12, 2018
I've always had an aversion to these two players:

As a draft pick bust, few compare to the Habs's first round pick in 1975, Robin Sadler:

Selected 9th overall in 1975 by the Canadiens, Sadler’s controversial foray into pro sports could have been one that led to Cup rings through any road he had chosen. Instead, training camp with the Canadiens had been a disaster. After one week and a $250,000 contract offer from the Canadiens, he walked away and expressed his desire to become a fireman.

“I found it wasn’t a game anymore, it’s a serious business, a lot more serious than I like to play,” said Sadler.

The Vancouver native returned home and wound up driving an Eaton truck for $250 a week.

The Icing Call: The Bust Chronicles : Robin Sadler

And the year the Habs selected Andrei Kostitsyn, they could have had any one of these, instead:

Jeff Carter, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergeron, and Shea Weber.

I know, Rearview Nostradamus is always right. But, it's hard to let go of who they passed on.

Wow.

Reactions: PaulD

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Dandouillon

That's cheating because those two combined their suckiness into some sort of Voltron level of suckhood that could never be imagined. It defied math. You'd think 2 + 2 = 4, but in terms of suckiness Dandenault + Bouillon added up to a sum of suck far greater than its parts. It was a sucking to behold. But it was nevertheless a tandem sucking, so we can't accept it as a valid entry as "worst player."

Now, when the thread for "Worst amalgam of atrocity" is started, I will expect to receive your submission.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At least Gomez had a 60 point season with us. It was only a couple years later he went off a cliff

Gomez had one decent season with us but remember, he was paid well over $7M which was very high at that time.

And he fell off a cliff in his 2nd season, not a couple of years later

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
About the goons, it's been almost a curse almost as the number one centers. The last guy that was near the definition of that and was actually useful was Chris Nilan. Sure he couple play hockey but he was a fighter and instigator. He was our own bad guy so speak. Kordik was just a bum, he didn't do **** but fight other tough guys. Same with Morissette and Roberge, etc...And then later on the disaster that was BGL. The Bruins had guys like Thornton that knew how to do things at the right time and had big jerks that also played hockey like Lucic and Chara. With the Habs, everything to do with grit has been a problem for quite a while. The only guy that has been able to do stuff has been Prust.

What about Brashear? He turned out to be a decent enough player. Had a long career.

That dovetails into another useless player, Jassen Cullimore. He played hockey about as effectively and annoyingly as he spelled Jason.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad