Worst Hab players of all time or in your lifetime?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Habs did very well as a team in those series, yes. Hamrlik and Spacek did well, yes. (Subban helped a lot too) That doesn't make up for how out of shape and generally worse for wear Hamr and Spacek were for the general entirety of their Habs careers. Nor their softness in the face of the bully Bruins. Spacek in particular. Fat bum. In the 2010 playoffs Spacek only played 10 games, fyi. He was held pointless in a 7 game first series loss the following year.

Those two series, though exciting and fun, are overrated imo. The Habs fell apart against Philly, Halak in particular. Everyone conveniently forgets to mention that. Maybe it's low standards.
If I may. "The Habs did very well in those years" is extremely generous. I know Christmas is just around the corner, but hey....... Raise the bar back up man. ;)

Last edited:

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Good read guys,
I hated Breeze-by before the Zednik hit & hated him after. I’ve never seen a teammate act like such a p***yfooting fool after their teammate has been assaulted on the ice.
As I read this I thought of the GM’s who allowed the garbage to build up. Reggie Fool still disgusts me for the abyss he sent the great name of the Habs to & Trembly was a very good player in the 70’s but a horrible coach. Bergy needs to be mentioned for allowing MT & DD ruin the chemistry of our young players.....just IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Gomez had one decent season with us but remember, he was paid well over $7M which was very high at that time.

And he fell off a cliff in his 2nd season, not a couple of years later

One decent half a season would be closer to reality.

Starting mid December 2009 he had 43 points in his last 48 games. He had only 16 points in his first 29 games that season while playing over 20 minutes a game which is really awful.

The signs were there. He gave a last push before the end of his career but you could already see he was not able to withstand 100 games a year anymore. Pretty much like DD when he went on a tear after we acquired Vanek and he finished the season with pretty much a ppg in the 2nd half after starting the season with only 1 points in his first 19 games. The signs were there too for DD. It's not uncommon for a vet nearing the end to give one last final push.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
There's a lot of players who had a cup of tea with the Habs, sucked, and were promptly forgotten. Patrick Traverse, on the other hand, averaged more than 20 minutes per game in the 2002-03 season and I could never fathom why because he was awful. Bad skater, constant turnovers, big but not physical - I can't think of anything good about him.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
The 2000-01 roster is full of players I could name. Juha Lind. Patrick Traverse. Xavier Delisle wearing #88. PJ Stock who I never liked. Andre Bashkirov. Eric Chouinard the bust. Matt Higgins the bust. Jason Ward the bust (who actually somehow held on in the league for quite a while). Yeech.

Megaforce

Sadler knew that he was nowhere near good enough to make the NHL. He barely made a dent in any league he played in after the draft. He was wise enough to know his shortcomings. I think he might have lost his signing bonus however by bailing. That entire draft absolutely stunk. He went on to become a real estate agent in Vancouver, which is a pretty fast way to making a ton of money.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Too many to list:

Mike Blunden, Garth Murray, Janne Niinimaa, Sergei Samsonov, Brad Brown, David Wilkie, Chad Kilger, Patrick Traverse, Karl Dykhuis, Patrick Poulin, Christian Laflamme, Georges Laraque, Jassen Cullimore, Jason Ward, Dave Morisette, Johan Witehall, Andreï Bashkirov, Eric Chouinard, Terry Ryan, Juha Lind, Eric Landry, Mathieu
Descoteaux, Xavier Deslisle, Barry Richter, Matt Higgins, Eric Bertrand, Craig Darby, Bill Lindsay, Benoît Gratton, Miroslav Guren, Jim Cummins, Jesse Belanger, Scott Lachance, Brett Clark, Alain Nasreddine, Sylvain Blouin, Mick Vukota, Eric Houde, Zarley Zalapski, Chris Murray, Murray Baron, David Ling, Rory Fitzpatrick, François Groleau, Pierre Sevigny, Mariusz Czerkawski and so many more busts.

Looking back at the late 90's and early 2000's rosters, I realized that the Canadiens had lots of bad players. Rejean Houle was making very bad decisions and was trying to put together a team with lots of plugs. A lot of drafted players would eventually just bust.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Which Hab have you hated the most and why? Or maybe, if "hate" is too strong a word, who has disappointed you the most or someone you just couldn't stand?

I sometimes wonder if people actually watched hockey. Brunet was an exciting little player that got injured a lot. He wasn't the worst player we've ever had. We've had so many bad players over the years. Gomez just hits me as the worst for the money. Our worst players of all time are guys we've never heard of who only played a few shifts before being benched.

Do you see that quote on top from the OP??? Do you see where it says "Which Hab have you hated the most and why"?? Where in my post does it say Brunet was the "worst Hab we ever had". Why do you have to twist the question the OP is asking to make an irrelevant point? So, before wondering "if people actually watch hockey", read the whole original post and, accept the fact that I can hate whoever the f*** I want and don't have to justify it to you or anyone else.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Do you see that quote on top from the OP??? Do you see where it says "Which Hab have you hated the most and why"?? Where in my post does it say Brunet was the "worst Hab we ever had". Why do you have to twist the question the OP is asking to make an irrelevant point? So, before wondering "if people actually watch hockey", read the whole original post and, accept the fact that I can hate whoever the f*** I want and don't have to justify it to you or anyone else.
I think he peed himself.
Seriously, you're losing track of whats acceptable on this board. The thread is worst hab of all time, and yeah, there's like 200 caveats to it and you're entitled to your opinion but I'm entitled to think you never saw him play and just got annoyed because he sasses on commentary and looked up his stat line.

Reactions: Kimota

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
I think he peed himself.
Seriously, you're losing track of whats acceptable on this board. The thread is worst hab of all time, and yeah, there's like 200 caveats to it and you're entitled to your opinion but I'm entitled to think you never saw him play and just got annoyed because he sasses on commentary and looked up his stat line.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. The question I answered is "which Hab did you hate or couldn't stand". I did watch him play and hated him, plain and simple. By your account, Gomez was worse than Laraque, Lupien, Baron etc. I don't think so.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Most guys here are to young to remember, but in the early 80s the habs brought up a kid who was a bodybuilder to become an enforcer. Normand Baron. I remember all the hype in the journal de Montréal showing him flexing his muscles in the gym. What a joke, the guy could not skate.....and could not fight either. He would always try to lift up and body slam his opponents cause he could not throw a punch.
You could also make a point about Murray Baron also.
Both Barons were clowns

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Most guys here are to young to remember, but in the early 80s the habs brought up a kid who was a bodybuilder to become an enforcer. Normand Baron. I remember all the hype in the journal de Montréal showing him flexing his muscles in the gym. What a joke, the guy could not skate.....and could not fight either. He would always try to lift up and body slam his opponents cause he could not throw a punch.
You could also make a point about Murray Baron also.
Both Barons were clowns

There's only one Byron in my book

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad