Winnipeg Naming Discussion pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingJet*

Winnipeg Shamrocks, I think it might be a decent name, Winnipeg Whiteout I'm down for, Winnipeg Serpents, Winnipeg Thunderbirds.

I think it should be Winnipeg Warriors or Winnipeg Jets

only reason I don't want it to be called Manitoba is cause it sounds wrong to name an NHL team after a province, British Columbia Canucks, Alberta Flames/Oilers (thats what the oil used to be called), Quebec Canadians/Nordiques (But it was the city), Ontario Senators/Maple Leafs. Like I mean states are different, their smaller than provinces.

Back in the Bigs

and lovin' it !!
Oct 17, 2006
Winnipeg Shamrocks, I think it might be a decent name, Winnipeg Whiteout I'm down for, Winnipeg Serpents, Winnipeg Thunderbirds.

only reason I don't want it to be called Manitoba is cause it sounds wrong to name an NHL team after a province, British Columbia Canucks, Alberta Flames/Oilers (thats what the oil used to be called), Quebec Canadians/Nordiques (But it was the city), Ontario Senators/Maple Leafs. Like I mean states are different, their smaller than provinces.

Well, sure, putting the province name in front of any existing Canadian NHL team name like that isn't going to sound right, and I don't think Manitoba Jets would sound right either....
... I dunno, tend to agree that it should be named Winnipeg something, but I'm pretty sure True North's original intention was to name it Manitoba and something other than Jets... whether they stay wth that, hard to say....
my gut's thinking it's gonna be Winnipeg Falcons, and the more time passes, the more I'm OK with it...

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

Funny thing, Thrashers would be suitable for Winnipeg or am I thinking more Saskatchewan?

You might be thinking "Threshers".

IMO, this should be Canada's team. We used to have the National Team, and they were known as the Nats. (The name "Team Canada" came bout in 1972.) So Canada Nationals.

And this could be their jersey:
Conlin_WinterGamesStamps.jpg

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
What do you mean by that,
The nfl jets were founded in 1960
Winnipeg's jets were founded in 1972
Actually, the Winnipeg Jets were a junior hockey team that started in the WCHL in 1967. Their owner, Ben Hatskin was also the first owner of the WHA Winnipeg Jets, and he used the Junior club's name and similar logo and colours. So similar infact, that on one occasion, when a WHA Jets player had his uniform lost/stolen, he played one game wearing a junior Jets uniform. It's weird the trivia that I remember, growing up in Winnipeg.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I love the red crest Jets logo. It gives you that "Canada's team" feel without treading on the Maple Leafs. I think it looks badass on that player.

That "Canada's team" feel is lame. How presumptuous for the new kid on the block to think the rest of Canada thinks about them. Just as bad as the Canadian flag on the Calgary Flames jerseys.

Alex The Loyal

Andlauer Appreciator
Dec 4, 2010
UK
Winnipeg will be Canada's team for a few years. Then when the new feeling goes away, only Jets fans and maybe some Thrashers fans will care about them. When the Thrash moved, it was the biggest story in the country.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Did the old Jets (the NHL Jets that is, since everyone is talking about various ancient incarnations using that name) have any division champs banners hanging from the rafters? If so, and if they go with the Winnipeg Jets as their team name, would they get the old banners or recreate them and hang them up?

Reason I ask is the current Ottawa Senators have a buttload of Stanley Cup banners hanging in Scotiabank Place (which I think is weak, but that's for another discussion). Obviously the original Senators is the team that won them all, but they wound up in St. Louis in the 30's and folded.

Think the same would happen if this new team is called the Winnipeg Jets?

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
If they're trying to penetrate (snicker) the Saskatchewan market, then maybe they should go with "Mansask region" instead of just "Manitoba"

Ozzie Bear

Apr 30, 2010
Winnipeg, MB

But the Edmonton Oilers were originaly known as the Alberta Oilers when the WHA started, plus BC & SK in the CFL so there is somewhat of a precedent to use a province.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
It's not like I don't wish the team luck but this ( it better be Winnipeg) is really starting to get stupid.A little while ago everyone would have been happy just to have a team again,but now the good old Winnipeg is all there is in Manitoba attitude comes shining thru just like it's always been.:shakehead

To be fair, it's not like Manitoba has much urban regions aside from Winnipeg.

There's only three other cities with populations over 10,000, Brandon being the biggest.

I also don't like Manitoba name because it's harder to cheer for a team that is provincial based, like the Florida Panthers and Colorado Avalanche, I may like Miami but hate Florida as a whole.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Actually, the Winnipeg Jets were a junior hockey team that started in the WCHL in 1967. Their owner, Ben Hatskin was also the first owner of the WHA Winnipeg Jets, and he used the Junior club's name and similar logo and colours. So similar infact, that on one occasion, when a WHA Jets player had his uniform lost/stolen, he played one game wearing a junior Jets uniform. It's weird the trivia that I remember, growing up in Winnipeg.

Actually, Gerry Cheevers had to wear one. He was with Cleveland and he wore the Jr. Jets' blue jersey while the rest of his team was in purple. The Jets wore whites at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad