Winnipeg Naming Discussion pt. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AugustBurnsRed*

The Winnipeg team name will NOT be Falcons. I did a search for trademarks, and hockey canada owns the rights to the name, and there is no "Manitoba Falcons" applications ever.

The only available one is Winnipeg Jets then? I don't think it's that simple.

davemac1313

Jan 20, 2011
Keewatin, Ontario
Is it possible to trademark a name with an effective date in the future, so that it doesn't show as registered but is reserved? Like a real estate holding that doesn't come into effect until a particular date, but the sale is still registered and reserved?

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
The Winnipeg team name will NOT be Falcons. I did a search for trademarks, and hockey canada owns the rights to the name, and there is no "Manitoba Falcons" applications ever.

Doesn't mean they can't buy the rights or even that Hockey Canada wouldn't just give it to them.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
new owner Mark Chipman said in an interview the day of the purchase press conference that the name would be announced once the league approves the team.
so ... they sell out tickets first.
the Jets name has a last hurrah.

and tomorrow the approval and team name is announced.

and I'm goin' for . . .

the Manitoba Spirit :nod:

StatiK76

Dec 4, 2010
detroit.nhl.com doesn't work. chicago.nhl.com doesn't work. Why would winnipeg.nhl.com (redirecting to nhl.com/winnipeg) be a clue?

redwings.nhl.com does, and so does blackhawks.nhl.com ...

as for a clue ... its not manitoba.nhl.com

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
new owner Mark Chipman said in an interview the day of the purchase press conference that the name would be announced once the league approves the team.

and I'm goin' for . . .

Sounds like a WNBA franchise

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
redwings.nhl.com does, and so does blackhawks.nhl.com ...

as for a clue ... its not manitoba.nhl.com

So, since nicknames redirect to their site, they're going to be the Manitoba Winnipegs? :laugh:

falcons.nhl.com doesn't work.
moose.nhl.com doesn't work.
jets.nhl.com doesn't work.
flatlanders.nhl.com doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure TNSE is keeping their cards firmly to their vest just like they have been this whole time. Not much of anything has leaked out during this whole process.

KingJet*

Lets call them the Winnipeg Transit :sarcasm::laugh:

Here come your Winnipeg Transit, just kidding.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

and I'm goin' for . . .

No offense but that sounds incredibly... trite, akin to some high school cheer group. It is warm, fuzzy and cringe worthy.

I am hopeful they stick with Winnipeg as I have a dislike for using the Province/State name. Jets is what receives my vote although Falcons is not a bad alternative.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
One thing you have to say about TNSE...they are airtight. They could teach lessons about privacy and confidentiality to most government intelligence organizations...

Wpg Jets Fan

Aug 13, 2008
Wild West
No offense but that sounds incredibly... trite, akin to some high school cheer group. It is warm, fuzzy and cringe worthy.

I am hopeful they stick with Winnipeg as I have a dislike for using the Province/State name. Jets is what receives my vote although Falcons is not a bad alternative.

Sounds like a soccer team. brutal.

whockey

May 12, 2010

spirit sounds like a politicain picked it....what ever it is will be good. these guys do things right (please no POLAR BEARS!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad